Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 catering price hike - justified?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
are you completely deluded? if you poor boys find the 1901 too rich what makes you think that you can jump into the best season tickets already filled... It's your error old chap. The best season seats of which I am in are filled by STholders back to & Inc Gillingham, those with 10 year & 3 year deals at Withdean & at least 6 PSLs in my nearest 18 seats all 13 year + STH. We were offered better 1901 seats than yours in the very first batch but declined on various reasons none of which were cost, a decision which looks better by the day. You've made your bed of creamed spinach...

He's not in the 1901.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Didn't most 1901ers take the "lifetime" deal. I initially signed up for 5 years but then 6 months later the club rang me and offered me the chance to pay the extra £500 quid and not have to worry about a potential price jump in 5 years if we were in the PL. They told me that lots of people had done this. It made sense to me anyway but I did wonder at the time what their definition of "most people" was.

This lifetime deal you mention protects the 1901 membership from future price hikes. But the actual ticket price will not be protected after 5 years regardless of your membership status.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
are you completely deluded? if you poor boys find the 1901 too rich what makes you think that you can jump into the best season tickets already filled... It's your error old chap. The best season seats of which I am in are filled by STholders back to & Inc Gillingham, those with 10 year & 3 year deals at Withdean & at least 6 PSLs in my nearest 18 seats all 13 year + STH. We were offered better 1901 seats than yours in the very first batch but declined on various reasons none of which were cost, a decision which looks better by the day. You've made your bed of creamed spinach...

How do you know we like creamed spinach?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Good post, wrong target, my seat's in the North Stand and I wouldn't swap it for anywhere else in the stadium. That's not to say the club might not forcibly relocate us en masse or just decline our renewals if they want to at some point to maximise revenue. Hopefully never happen, obviously.

Last edited:

Brownie10105

Aug 14, 2012
Cotswoulds
I have a seat in the 1901 (BMW lounge) and the drop in people eating is massive. Last season there would be 7/8 full tables (maybe 60/70 people) all eating and on Saturday there can't have been more than 15. I used to eat about once a month last year but have not done so this year and I think it's down to one reason...price.

People are paying slightly more for their tickets, but it doesn't mean they have mountains of spare cash to throw away at each game (myself included). AND even if people did, doesn't mean they don't want value for money (probably how they got the spare cash). At £32, I felt, yes it's a lot, but it all goes to the club, bit of a laugh...why not once in a while. But £38, is in my opinion, taking the piss. The food is average at best and there are no drinks included. Other people in my lounge are of the same opinion, nobody likes being taken for a mug and they are simply not willing to pay that on principal. If they put it back down to £32, one more person eating would cover the drop in price for 5/6 people. I think they have got this really wrong.

Side note...I believe they have taken lots of seats from all the lounges to fill up the new east lounges.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
£50 odd pounds (once you have included a copuple of pints or a bottle of wine) for the meal and service they offer is madness.

Not many people can justify spending that much on the product offered.

The rest of the package is good - parking, seat and view. But the food options and general lounge experience needs some thought into making this alot better.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
This lifetime deal you mention protects the 1901 membership from future price hikes. But the actual ticket price will not be protected after 5 years regardless of your membership status.

Yeah. That's what I thought. I presume they can chose to put the monthly fee's up any season they want just as they can do with normal ST's!

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
I have a seat in the 1901 (BMW lounge) and the drop in people eating is massive. Last season there would be 7/8 full tables (maybe 60/70 people) all eating and on Saturday there can't have been more than 15. I used to eat about once a month last year but have not done so this year and I think it's down to one reason...price.

People are paying slightly more for their tickets, but it doesn't mean they have mountains of spare cash to throw away at each game (myself included). AND even if people did, doesn't mean they don't want value for money (probably how they got the spare cash). At £32, I felt, yes it's a lot, but it all goes to the club, bit of a laugh...why not once in a while. But £38, is in my opinion, taking the piss. The food is average at best and there are no drinks included. Other people in my lounge are of the same opinion, nobody likes being taken for a mug and they are simply not willing to pay that on principal. If they put it back down to £32, one more person eating would cover the drop in price for 5/6 people. I think they have got this really wrong.

Side note...I believe they have taken lots of seats from all the lounges to fill up the new east lounges.

I am in that lounge too. They had to be quite creative with the spacing of the tables to make the section look busy didn't they?

I thought it was too expensive last year but like you I did it a few times as a treat. I think £25 - £30 would be the right price. They did that for the league cup games last year so it must be achievable.

I wonder which way they are going to go with it.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove

I am in that lounge too. They had to be quite creative with the spacing of the tables to make the section look busy didn't they?

I thought it was too expensive last year but like you I did it a few times as a treat. I think £25 - £30 would be the right price. They did that for the league cup games last year so it must be achievable.

I wonder which way they are going to go with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No Picalilli in the Profile Lounge anymore :-(

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I wonder how much money the club actually makes from the 1901 catering because it's outsourced (how long's the contract?) to Azure who presumably determine the prices, quality and quantity of food and service standards. This is where the problem lies because with most outsourced deals the coy makes it's money after the first year.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
At the 1901 breakfast meeting a few weeks ago they said we should expect a 'massive improvement' from the Birmingham game onwards. So has anyone tried the dining package since then and has it improved?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At the 1901 breakfast meeting a few weeks ago they said we should expect a 'massive improvement' from the Birmingham game onwards. So has anyone tried the dining package since then and has it improved?

I ate at the Birmingham game and I was happy with everything. There was a noticeable but small improvemtnt in quality. It's not value for money and I doubt it ever will be but all things considered I had a nice time and the food was good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here