Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 catering price hike - justified?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I got overcharged for my pie too in the Becks Peugot lounge. Again it wasn't vast but I noticed that the pies were listed at £3.80 at the kiosk but was rung up as £3.90 when I paid at the bar. I wasn't going to scramble back to the front of the bar queue just for 10p so I let it go but it does leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth, (not the pie, that was fine).

I also noticed that the number of diners has dropped off in our lounge. Last season there must have been about 10 tables at every match but for Cardiff it was just 3 and yesterday about 5 or so. It gives the rest of us a bit more room although a few more chairs would be helpful. I have to take my pie back to my match seat if I want to sit down and enjoy it.

We did as well in Becks Peugeot. We mentioned the lack of seats on a number of occasions last year. We generally arrive an hour and a quarter prior to kkick off, have a pie and pint and then got to our seats - for their to be no seats at 1.45pm is frustrating.

We did have one meal but frankly cost and quality are not good enough.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Looks like the club have completely got this wrong or have the wrong type of people in the 1901 club. Perhaps they were expecting corporate type people bought along as guests of companies as opposed to real fans.

Just out of interest you get a free program and tea / coffee and everything else you pay for ?

Also how much is a meal ?

BH Even then there are two types of corporate !

1) Corporate Albion supporters who plough company money in because they are supporters and would go each week in any event.

2) Corporate sponsors who plough money in to get free tickets, advertising and hospitality so they can woo their customers & staff.

All football clubs seem to want corporate sponsors badly presumably because the money comes in one big lump and because the more successful the club is the easier it is to get sponsors on board.

I suspect in season 5 dependent on the league division / position of the club many people in 1901 will move to standard seating elsewhere rather than pay another lump sum to book 1901 for a further 5 years.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
BH Even then there are two types of corporate !

1) Corporate Albion supporters who plough company money in because they are supporters and would go each week in any event.

2) Corporate sponsors who plough money in to get free tickets, advertising and hospitality so they can woo their customers & staff.

All football clubs seem to want corporate sponsors badly presumably because the money comes in one big lump and because the more successful the club is the easier it is to get sponsors on board.

I suspect in season 5 dependent on the league division / position of the club many people in 1901 will move to standard seating elsewhere rather than pay another lump sum to book 1901 for a further 5 years.

Trouble is that those wishing to move could well be a little stuffed because the best seating elsewhere in the stadium is long gone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

1901 payment is the same as regular season tickets, ie a lump sum or (and I'd guess more likely) a monthly direct debit.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Trouble is that those wishing to move could well be a little stuffed because the best seating elsewhere in the stadium is long gone.

I agree - thats why I think the club will have to offer some incentive unless support drops - I'm a little surprised they have extended 1901 to the east, I suppose that no area or stand is set in stone (scuse the pun) so it could all be changed.

This does show up the whole North, south west east thing though. There arent many "bad" seats in the house, the main difference is if you prefer the "singing" terraces of the North / west upper or the "corporate" 1901 Its peoples perceptions of what they are rather than the ground position that matter.

TB might want to to sit/ stand in the North and join in but in the west he does have a better view of the game overall and he gets a free program, tea and coffee!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Something to worry about I guess....in four years time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can anyone report on what this season's Profile Lounge sit-down catering is like compared to the end of last season? I know there is one unhappy customer but he, fairly I feel, doesn't want to comment on his particular situation until Azure have had a chance to address it. I'm thinking of maybe booking a table for the Sheffield Wed game. A foolish idea?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can anyone report on what this season's Profile Lounge sit-down catering is like compared to the end of last season? I know there is one unhappy customer but he, fairly I feel, doesn't want to comment on his particular situation until Azure have had a chance to address it. I'm thinking of maybe booking a table for the Sheffield Wed game. A foolish idea?

definitely better than last year, they did seem to be making an extra effort on Saturday, but there were so few eating, you would have thought they would Get it right, but they still overlooked to pork chop. Sorry, I meant slow roasted pork cutlet. Apart from that I would say an improvement, however, it was probably the first and last time I'll do it this season, I just don't see any value for money at all. Oh, did I mention, we won the 1901 Jackpot!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Don't think for a second the club won't move people wholesale if it suits their purposes.

Of course they will, but a can't see the club giving 1901s who don't want to renew, but want standard STs, someone else's seat.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What about those who bought, and paid for, seats for life

The club will have to work around those, for legal reasons. They'll be offered compensation or the new best seat in the house.

But the vast majority never bought into that package, so will be moved on the strength of an official letter and will have no comeback other than not renewing which won't phase the club one jot because they'll have people on the waiting list. Which works really well as a business model all the while the club is on the up. What is it they say: 'treat people nicely on the way up because you'll need them on the way down'?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The club will have to work around those, for legal reasons. They'll be offered compensation or the new best seat in the house.

But the vast majority never bought into that package, so will be moved on the strength of an official letter and will have no comeback other than not renewing which won't phase the club one jot because they'll have people on the waiting list. Which works really well as a business model all the while the club is on the up. What is it they say: 'treat people nicely on the way up because you'll need them on the way down'?

You're probably right, I've treated them nice on the way up, and I bought the seat for,life, let's,hope it all develops nicely eh?

1901Phil

Feb 1, 2012
Tunbridge Wells
I bought a 1901E seat as I was late applying for a season ticket and the only ones available were in the corners of the West stand. As I use the Seagulls coach service which gets me to the Amex 60-75 minutes before kick off and I have to be back at the coach 20 minutes afterthe final whistle I have not used the meal package. For the Cardiff and Barnsley matches there did seem to be many fewer diners than last season.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove

Didn't most 1901ers take the "lifetime" deal. I initially signed up for 5 years but then 6 months later the club rang me and offered me the chance to pay the extra £500 quid and not have to worry about a potential price jump in 5 years if we were in the PL. They told me that lots of people had done this. It made sense to me anyway but I did wonder at the time what their definition of "most people" was.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove

Didn't most 1901ers take the "lifetime" deal. I initially signed up for 5 years but then 6 months later the club rang me and offered me the chance to pay the extra £500 quid and not have to worry about a potential price jump in 5 years if we were in the PL. They told me that lots of people had done this. It made sense to me anyway but I did wonder at the time what their definition of "most people" was.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

But the vast majority never bought into that package, so will be moved on the strength of an official letter and will have no comeback other than not renewing which won't phase the club one jot because they'll have people on the waitinglist. Which works really well as a business model all the while the club is on the up. What is it they say: 'treat people nicely on the way up because you'll need them on the way down'?

are you completely deluded? if you poor boys find the 1901 too rich what makes you think that you can jump into the best season tickets already filled... It's your error old chap. The best season seats of which I am in are filled by STholders back to & Inc Gillingham, those with 10 year & 3 year deals at Withdean & at least 6 PSLs in my nearest 18 seats all 13 year + STH. We were offered better 1901 seats than yours in the very first batch but declined on various reasons none of which were cost, a decision which looks better by the day. You've made your bed of creamed spinach...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here