Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

15 days in jail and deported.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think the Nazis prevented Jews from voting in the election that got them into power which would have been a big bonus in getting them voted in. I'm sure they had Stormtroopers and SS preventing Jews from physically attending elections.

But of course you are right in that many German citizens freely voted for Hitler.

I am not too sure about that I will have a look, wouldnt surprise me though....in reference to Jews not been given the vote, that is.

Not too many Democracies in the Middle East either.

I think the initial discussion point was that some on here accepted that the punishment to the Teacher ( and others in these Countries ) were quite reasonable because it was supported by their own Laws.

I alluded to the comparison that Nazi Germany had the support of the Law too and that alone was not a credible defense.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think it was the comment " its only lashes " didn't help. This is getting out of hand now, can we not withdraw all workers and aid to Sudan with immediate effect and the government request uk worker come home, as said before let them all get on with their medival 8th century lives and stonings and be headings and the rest of us can get on with life in the 21st century

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Shoot UK teacher, say protesters

Gillian Gibbons was sentenced to 15 days in prison and deportation
Thousands of people have marched in the Sudanese capital Khartoum to call for UK teacher Gillian Gibbons to be shot.
Mrs Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, was jailed by a court on Thursday after children in her class named a teddy bear Muhammad.

She was sentenced to 15 days for insulting religion, and she will then be deported.

The Foreign Office was in contact with Sudan's government overnight and is due to repeat demands for her release.

'Kill her'

The marchers took to the streets after Friday prayers to denounce the sentence as too lenient.

The protesters gathered in Martyrs Square, outside the presidential palace in the capital, many of them carrying knives and sticks.

Marchers chanted "Shame, shame on the UK", "No tolerance - execution" and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad".

Hundreds of riot police were deployed but they did not break up the demonstration.

The Foreign Office said it was seeking to confirm reports of the protest.

'Strongest terms'

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been in touch with Mrs Gibbons' family for a second time, speaking to a close relative of the teacher.

Foreign Secretary David Miliband has expressed "in the strongest terms" the UK's concern at her detention.

The Sudanese ambassador, Omer Siddig, was called back to the Foreign Office to explain the decision.

The Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams said he could not "see any justification" for the sentence, calling it an "absurdly disproportionate response" to a "minor cultural faux pas".

In September, Mrs Gibbons allowed her class of primary school pupils to name the teddy bear Muhammad as part of a study of animals and their habitats.

The court heard that she was arrested on Sunday after another member of staff at Unity High School complained to the Ministry of Education.

Wheres Dave the Gaffer...........

He will be outraged to find such views...........because there remians calm within his office and he got a mate whos Muslim and he is really nice.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think it is hard to compare the Nazis with any subsequent regime because just the word Nazi evokes such strong feelings in people. I think it is almost an impossible debate because of the emotions the Nazi party stir up (and quite rightly). I am certain there have been and will be more hideous regimes across the globe but the Nazis will always be seen as the referance point. Are they the same as the Nazis? We should stop this before it becomes like the Nazis etc

I personally believe there are fundamental differances between the two subjects but I'm not saying that to cause a row.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think it is hard to compare the Nazis with any subsequent regime because just the word Nazi evokes such strong feelings in people. I think it is almost an impossible debate because of the emotions the Nazi party stir up (and quite rightly). I am certain there have been and will be more hideous regimes across the globe but the Nazis will always be sen as the referance point. Are they the same as the Nazis? Wh should stop this before it becomes like the Nazis etc

I persdonally believe there are fundamental differances between the two subjects but I'm not saying that to cause a row.

The comparison issue was soley on the state legitimately allowed to punish someone because it was the Law.

I disagreed with that, as the Nazis too had the support of their own Laws too.

I was not comparing Regimes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Isn't the answer simply to suspend all political dealings with Sudan's government, and stop any aid to their government whilst working with other agencies to help the Darfur relief effort?

Egypt is next door to Sudan. What the f*** are they doing?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Isn't the answer simply to suspend all political dealings with Sudan's government, and stop any aid to their government whilst working with other agencies to help the Darfur relief effort?

Egypt is next door to Sudan. What the f*** are they doing?

Its a great point really.

The wealth of the Saudis is quite impressive, yet not too sure what they do for their Muslim Brothers in the region.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The comparison issue was soley on the state legitimately allowed to punish someone because it was the Law.

I disagreed with that, as the Nazis too had the support of their own Laws too.

I was not comparing Regimes.

No, I see. I was just saying that the word Nazi always evokes such strong feelings.

I agree about the Law situation and it is not an acceptable excuse.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Great thread

agree with that, f*** em

"Thousands of people are marching in Khartoum calling for British teacher Gillian Gibbons to be executed.

The 54-year-old has been jailed for blasphemy in Sudan after naming a teddy bear Mohammed but the crowds say her 15-day sentence is too lenient.

The protesters took to the streets carrying knives and sticks, chanting "shame on the UK" and "kill her by firing squad""

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Do these protestors stop to think why this teacher is in their country and the potential good she might have done? Do they stop to think that British aid in Darfur will have helped thousands of Sudanese refugees?

Britain seems to be REALLY UNPOPULAR with the Muslim world and if we were to withdraw our presence completely who could blame us?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The video is hundreds of mainly men demanding her execution

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here