Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

14 Year Old Sikh Girl Makes Our Country Look Stupid

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Her bracelet is one of the 5 K's, all of which are deemed to be symbols central to Sikkhism.

Kara - a steel bracelet
A symbol of restraint and gentility.
A symbol that a Sikh is linked to the Guru.
It acts as a reminder that a Sikh should not do anything of which the Guru would not approve.
A symbol of God having no beginning or end.
A symbol of permanent bonding to the community-being a link in the chain of Khalsa Sikhs (the word for link is 'kari').
The Kara is made of steel, rather than gold or silver, because it is not an ornament.

The guru instructs Sikhs to wear the 5 Ks, they don't do it to make some sort of fashion statement or as a religious based fashion item (like that virginity ring thing).

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I see, so who exactly is going to work out what transgresses their teachings? If only it was that clear cut that you could draw up a list!

It can be done. I was working with some 7th day adventists who are not allowed to work on Saturdays, and they were using this as an excuse to basically be lazy bastards (and they tried to pull the racism card when questioned). A simple check on what they were and were not allowed to do, and it very quickly transpired that only 1 out of the 15 were actually following their religion. No fizzy drinks, no alcohol, no smoking, etc, etc. Once it was shown that they were not following their claimed teachings, they were brought back into line.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
It can be done. I was working with some 7th day adventists who are not allowed to work on Saturdays, and they were using this as an excuse to basically be lazy bastards (and they tried to pull the racism card when questioned). A simple check on what they were and were not allowed to do, and it very quickly transpired that only 1 out of the 15 were actually following their religion. No fizzy drinks, no alcohol, no smoking, etc, etc. Once it was shown that they were not following their claimed teachings, they were brought back into line.

So can a Christian drink alcohol? Simple yes or no. . .

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:bounce:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Christians must be able to drink alcohol, isn't that what they do when taking communion?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Her bracelet is one of the 5 K's, all of which are deemed to be symbols central to Sikkhism.

Kara - a steel bracelet
A symbol of restraint and gentility.
A symbol that a Sikh is linked to the Guru.
It acts as a reminder that a Sikh should not do anything of which the Guru would not approve.
A symbol of God having no beginning or end.
A symbol of permanent bonding to the community-being a link in the chain of Khalsa Sikhs (the word for link is 'kari').
The Kara is made of steel, rather than gold or silver, because it is not an ornament.

The guru instructs Sikhs to wear the 5 Ks, they don't do it to make some sort of fashion statement or as a religious based fashion item (like that virginity ring thing).

I assume she is hiding the other 4Ks then? Hair looks a little too stylish, no sign of a comb, I don't want to know if she has the shorts on, and if she is carrying a sword, then she can wear whatever she wants!

So - at what point do we allow the ceremonial dagger to be worn in schools then?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh God, drop him then, he's making Our Country Look Stupid!

Everyone knows you can't wear jewellery during PE.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
But that's my whole point. You say it is a simple 'yes' but my own beliefs say it is a straightforward 'no.'

Are you a "straightforward" christian then? Your own beliefs may be at odds with those of the Church, in which case that is down to you to reconcile. You can be teetotal without attaching a religious angle to it.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Jesus turned water into wine, and he served it at the last supper. He also preached against judgemental people and those who like to show off about how good they are, and how they suffer for the cause. People who claim to be Christians but always have a critical opinion on others whilst telling the world about how they do this and don't do that etc etc should maybe spend some time reading the gospels. Wannabe Muslims as far as I see it.

Well apparently Monty Panesar wears one!

Indeed he does.

montypanesar18.jpg

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...I think the judge asking if she had trimmed her beard might have been pushing the bounds of decency!

Juan Albion

Jesus turned water into wine, and he served it at the last supper. He also preached against judgemental people and those who like to show off about how good they are, and how they suffer for the cause. People who claim to be Christians but always have a critical opinion on others whilst telling the world about how they do this and don't do that etc etc should maybe spend some time reading the gospels. Wannabe Muslims as far as I see it.

I wouldn't disagree with much of that.

Juan Albion

Are you a "straightforward" christian then? Your own beliefs may be at odds with those of the Church, in which case that is down to you to reconcile. You can be teetotal without attaching a religious angle to it.

Straightforward? I'd like to think so. But it really isn't about following a set of rules per se, it is a lifestyle and an attitude that comes from a very small number of basic tenets.

If my beliefs are at odds with the church, they might have told me before they ordained me. But hey, that's life. . . :nono:

For me, the basic tenets of the Christian faith cannot be summed up with small rules like 'don't smoke' or 'don't drink' like you seem to think. It is about following the overarching commandments of loving God and loving those around me - and interpreting them accordingly. As such, I personally don't drink because it is hard enough for me to follow my understanding of what a Christian lifestyle should be when I am in control - it would be near impossible when drunk. To avoid getting drunk I choose to abstain altogether. But I don't condemn any of my congregations who choose to drink - that is between them and God. Even though I am paid to preach, I give people food for thought and hope they will think about what I say and then apply it to their own lives as they see fit. As Il Duce quite rightly said, we are not meant to be judgmental (even if TV likes to portray us that way).

Of course you can be teetotal without being religious! Whoever said otherwise! You can also be alcoholic without being Father Jack (in case you are confused).

And I don't need to 'Google' to find out my opinion. Silly thing is, your own link that you Googled shows that this, like many other subjects, cannot be decided by your arbitrary judgmental stance - it makes it quite clear there are different opinions.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Why was the school so stupid in the first place. It's a no brainer that the kid's going to win and it's only a simple bracelet. I went to school with a Sikh kid who insisted in his right to wear a bangle. He didn't have a turban and was obviously trying it on. The school quietly let him get on with it and in a few months he got bored and it disappeared.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here