Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£120 to buy a ticket for The Royal Opera House ...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lewes FC is hardly comparable to Glyndebourne Opera House.

Besides, can't you just accept that some people feel football is expensive/overpriced and will complain? As it is, I'm not just complaining, I'm voting with my feet.

Feel free to be happy with what you pay, I'm not stopping you from having an opinion. However, it seems that those who complain are shouted down as being tight or boring or poor or what-have-you.

Because the argument doesn't hold up.

Firstly the bulk of discussion is based on the most expensive seat, and conversation about expense needs to be held over the cheapest price. (hence this thread)

And secondly the conversation is not of the Albion's doing.
I believe our match day ticket prices are competitive within the division, and sell accordingly.

Oh I almost forgot thirds.
These prices haven't just been plucked out of thin air today.

Yes FOOTBALL is too expensive, far to big for it's boots, and yes I can't wait for it all to come tumbling down.

But that's not solely the Albion's responsibility, and I surely wouldn't want the club to compromise itself still further by giving away tickets for £10, because 'that's what it always used to cost'.

Last edited:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
You need to shop around for a deal. Never paid anywhere near that much for the Opera there.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When I was a kid, £10 was enough for dad and me to both get in. And we could stand if we wanted.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sorry for hijacking your thread Stat Bro.....

Passion will out, is my only excuse. I'll retire now....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry for hijacking your thread Stat Bro.....

Passion will out, is my only excuse. I'll retire now....
away you go, it's all quite interesting.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Not worth it. The queue for the Amphitheatre bar is a bitch. And I couldn't hear a peep from the North dress circle last time I was there.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Firstly the bulk of discussion is based on the most expensive seat, and conversation about expense needs to be held over the cheapest price. (hence this thread)

I believe our match day ticket prices are competitive within the division, and sell accordingly.

Yes FOOTBALL is too expensive, far to big for it's boots, and yes I can't wait for it all to come tumbling down.

But that's not solely the Albion's responsibility, and I surely wouldn't want the club to compromise itself still further by giving away tickets for £10, because 'that's what it always used to cost'.

So what does one do? Blindly follow and just hope the game evolves into something a little bit more cuddly?

The last opera I went to was a scratch and sniff performance at the Royal Coliseum. Worth the £20 alone for that.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It was £210 for a Season ticket at Lewes. (£195 if you'd got it before 7 July and that includes two free tickets for friends)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what does one do? Blindly follow and just hope the game evolves into something a little bit more cuddly?

The last opera I went to was a scratch and sniff performance at the Royal Coliseum. Worth the £20 alone for that.

We, the fans, are the bottom wrung of the ladder.
The problem for Albion fans, but not the board, is we have a very nice ladder and lots of people want to be on it.

As mentioned on t'other thread if you think this is bad, wait till promotion.
At that point I'll image me and the Stat's will be priced out.

But I know full well the moment my S/T's are handed back, the club will have them resold x% higher to the next in line.

I won't be able to blame the club, it's simple supply and demand economics.

Sadly at that point I'll have to wait for The Albion to do a Pompey at when they will be begging me to go to a game for dross football.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The comparison between Opera and football is hardly a valid one !

For starters opera doesn't have the over paid egotistical idiots that football has. I doubt many ( if any ) of the performers get paid £5k+ a week !

Regardless, trivialising complaints about the cost of football seems somewhat counter productive. IF people stop paying the inflated prices then clubs will suffer and people are already starting to be priced out. Let's see a bad season and then the moans about lack of transfer funds the following season because so many casuals didn't pay the inflated prices.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

Oh I almost forgot thirds.
These prices haven't just been plucked out of thin air today.

I'd be happy to have the club compromise itself for decency, even at the expense of the sometimes sisyphean task of reaching the zenith of being battered week in and out so we can get parachute payments and pay our players even more. I'd rather support a club that supports its community and its variety of people than a soulless money-hungry monolith that no one feels connected to.
Maybe set up a scheme in which a fan can go to 3 category C games in a season that the club know will not sell out and these are affordable tickets say for £50 for all 3 in the shittest part of the stadium.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
For starters opera doesn't have the over paid egotistical idiots that football has. I doubt many ( if any ) of the performers get paid £5k+ a week !

The word "Diva" was first applied to female opera stars! Initially it was a term of adulation, then as their behaviour became more diva-esque (in the modern meaning of the word), it became a term of contempt. Top opera stars earn about £15k per performance....

That said, I too worry about the health of football generally. It was traditionally a working-class game; money has changed that, probably forever.

I think Stat Bro is right though. It's simply demand and supply. Prices will continue increasing until people (any people, that is, NOT necessarily current fans) stop buying. When the club get to that point, they'd better perform on the pitch or they're in real trouble....

Try The Marriage of Figaro or Cosi Fan Tutte then. Light, comic opera by the genius who was Mozart. If you like it, then try Rigoletto (Verdi) - totally breathtaking and includes the famous aria "La Donna e Mobile" ("Woman are fickle" or "The Bird's got a Motorbike", take your pick) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3zetSuYRg, an orgy, unrequited love, adultery, murder, kidnapping, jealousy & rape. Corrie with music.

I know that I'm gonna come in for stick, this being a footie forum and all, but I just love opera. When it's done well, it's just the most brilliant totally immersive experience. Do try it!

I'll leave ballet for another day (well, ok - try Romeo and Juliet as a starter)

As old man Steptoe once said "Ballet ? Poofs football!" :D

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Another balletomane here. You can get seasonal season tickets at the ROH, saves about 30% but there needs to be three things you want to see. Don't drink so we always eat in the Balcony restaurant which I recommend.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I was pleased when the QPR game was moved back one day, as I could then drag Mrs Fef to Komedia on the 17th Sept to see the live screening of Turandot live from the Royal Opera House.

I shall park my Nissan Dormobile right outside.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Try The Marriage of Figaro or Cosi Fan Tutte then. Light, comic opera by the genius who was Mozart. If you like it, then try Rigoletto (Verdi) - totally breathtaking and includes the famous aria "La Donna e Mobile" ("Woman are fickle" or "The Bird's got a Motorbike", take your pick) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3zetSuYRg, an orgy, unrequited love, adultery, murder, kidnapping, jealousy & rape. Corrie with music.

I know that I'm gonna come in for stick, this being a footie forum and all, but I just love opera. When it's done well, it's just the most brilliant totally immersive experience. Do try it!

I'll leave ballet for another day (well, ok - try Romeo and Juliet as a starter)

I'm going to see The Marriage of Figaro at the Royal Opera House at the end of September. My first time at an opera so I've gone large and bought tickets for the Grand Tier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here