Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£120 to buy a ticket for The Royal Opera House ...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm going to see The Marriage of Figaro at the Royal Opera House at the end of September. My first time at an opera so I've gone large and bought tickets for the Grand Tier.

I hope you enjoy it! Grand tier seats are best in house for opera - full view of stage and pit and acoustically it's brilliant too.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I hope you enjoy it! Grand tier seats are best in house for opera - full view of stage and pit and acoustically it's brilliant too.

Is it worth reading up about the story line and listening to the opera a lot before going? I've downloaded the opera and listened a few times but it's all still very new to me.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Is it worth reading up about the story line and listening to the opera a lot before going? I've downloaded the opera and listened a few times but it's all still very new to me.

It's worth reading a synopsis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marriage_of_Figaro#Synopsis is just fine) before you go, just to have a broad understanding of the plot. There'll be surtitles translating the singing into English as the singers are singing, which are surprisingly easy to follow while following the action on stage, especially from the Grand Tier. I wouldn't worry about an in depth review of the music before hand however, it's meant to be a fun night out - just let it roll over you. All, imo, obviously.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm going to see The Marriage of Figaro at the Royal Opera House at the end of September. My first time at an opera so I've gone large and bought tickets for the Grand Tier.

I echo Goldstone1976's comment, enjoy, and you should from those seats!

The marriage of figaro is the only I'm not going to. I have Turandot, Wozzeck, Elektra, Les Vêpres siciliennes and Parsifal all lined up, can't wait!

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
It's worth reading a synopsis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marriage_of_Figaro#Synopsis is just fine) before you go, just to have a broad understanding of the plot. There'll be surtitles translating the singing into English as the singers are singing, which are surprisingly easy to follow while following the action on stage, especially from the Grand Tier. I wouldn't worry about an in depth review of the music before hand however, it's meant to be a fun night out - just let it roll over you. All, imo, obviously.

Ahh great, thanks. I didn't know they had subtitles - they will help! Yeah I'm really looking forward to it.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I echo Goldstone1976's comment, enjoy, and you should from those seats!

The marriage of figaro is the only I'm not going to. I have Turandot, Wozzeck, Elektra, Les Vêpres siciliennes and Parsifal all lined up, can't wait!

I've clearly got some way to go - I've never even heard of those! If I like it then this could become an expensive (but enjoyable) past time!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I've clearly got some way to go - I've never even heard of those! If I like it then this could become an expensive (but enjoyable) past time!

Three of them are new to me too, however once I started going I found it quite addictive and am prepared to take chance on unfamiliar operas. Also it needn't cost a fortune, only one of those tickets cost more than WSL ticket for Millwall. The only I have paid more for is Parsifal but then it is five hours and I would like a full view of the stage for that one, I have seen it before and know what a treat i am in for.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Turandot would be the one I'd go to after Figaro out of the Autumn season list that Hotchilidog lists. It has the most famous aria of all in it (Nessun Dorma - BBC theme tune for Italia 90) and is the most approachable. Parsifal is Wagner. Wagner is marmite - I'd suggest leaving Wagner until you've been to half a dozen or so to see if you like opera in the fleah.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Turandot would be the one I'd go to after Figaro out of the Autumn season list that Hotchilidog lists. It has the most famous aria of all in it (Nessun Dorma - BBC theme tune for Italia 90) and is the most approachable. Parsifal is Wagner. Wagner is marmite - I'd suggest leaving Wagner until you've been to half a dozen or so to see if you like opera in the fleah.

Yes I've seen Stephen Fry has been promoting Wagner quite a bit but I'm not familiar with the work so will hold off on that. I may give Turandot a go after this one then.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A Wagner lover, then? Me too, but unwise, imo, to recommend an opera virgin to see Wagner too early?

Nice to see that there are a number of opera-goers on NSC. I agree Wagner isn't for the novices, it does require some serious commitment, brevity very much in short supply in his work. I think your recommendations were pretty much spot on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have seen a few Operas including Aida at La Scala, La Traviata and Carmen at The Royal Opera House and Porgy and Bess at the place in Waterloo that I can't remember its name. The latter by Gershwin is non traditional but would be an ideal choice for virgins as it fuses orchestral music with Jazz and American folk music. My mum trained as an Opera singer in the 1950's and won awards at Wembley (not stadium) and made a few scratchy recordings on 78 rpm. She then only sang occasionally, especially after a number of sherries, to the detriment of our neighbours.

The Moon Song from Rusalka by Dvorak was chosen by her for her funeral a few years back and I have still not seen this Opera and when it is performed I must go. Please let me know, if anyone knows where or when it may be performed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The Moon Song from Rusalka by Dvorak was chosen by her for her funeral a few years back and I have still not seen this Opera and when it is performed I must go. Please let me know, if anyone knows where or when it may be performed.

Rusalka is performed every now and again in the UK. It was on at Glyndebourne in 2010 or 2011 and only last year at ROH. It got roundly criticised for its sets and costumes (it was set in a brothel), so I doubt that particular production will be staged again, but I expect it to be performed somewhere next year. Opera North may do it??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I can safely say this thread turned in a direction I wasn't expecting.

Gawd bless NSC.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yeah but I didn't expect you to drag a load of other poshists in with you :lol:

Some have been sly, posting only once in the thread with a witty opera pun (you know who you are, Fef); some have been outed and proud; some non-poshist folks have poked fun, only to be overawed by the sheer quality you created.

Stat Bro, impresario; take a bow! :thumbsup:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Never been to the opera, wouldnt mind it though. Harry Enfield did a Loads of money sketch, where football at White Hart Lane wasnt expensive enough,so hlm and Lance went to theROH, and sung"you fat bustard" at Pavorotti.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here