Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10 Annoying things that Brits do abroad

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Travelling americans can be dumb, but they don't generally strip off, hang their hairy dog leg toes out of their thongs, get pissed as parrots and sing god save the queen, before toppling over in the noon sun when its 36 degrees and suffering 3rd degree burns....

Wearing Manchester Utd shirts.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Tattoos
Lobster red shoulders and back after 2 days
Gross obesity and not afraid to show it poolside
Football shirts & tribe mentality
Intolerance of "foreign food"
The need for "Bingo" & "Karaoke"
Being "better" than Johnny Foreigner
Rudeness to staff when cockney/geordie/brummie/scouse accents not understood
Lager louts & the embarrassing abuse of "Happy Hour"
Complaining the TV & kettle don't work
Not tipping

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Love threads like this with all these superior people who are magnificent cultural ambassadors - It's just everyone else that is embarrassing.

Some people can't afford to go off spending 6 months living with Nepalese goat farmers and have to make do with a week on the piss in Benidorm - So they take their tops off, enjoy a fry up and can't speak Spanish. So what? Get over yourselves.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Quite a few feel the need to give an impression of 'being hard'... and you do hear some very exagerated cockney accents...

Manchester blokes seem to favour tracksuits still!!!!

Having said that, the women favour English men, so gives you an idea of the level of Czech men.

That's prob's down to that old adage: A fool & his money are easily parted. :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been to Miami and Cancun during spring break and yes it was rowdy, however they are mainly kids, if you go to places like Ibiza it tends to be adults that are acting up and being chav's.

Fair point. But they are annoyingly macho jocko kids. They have quite a bizarre body shape are well, huge popeye style arms and guts. I made a few discrete enquiries about this and was told it's because they spend most of their time pumping iron and drinking beer bongs. I was in Miami for the winter music conference a few years back and it was teeming with brits but for once they were actually incredibly well behaved, I'd say the jocks were worse.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Hanging george cross towels from balconies
Wearing football shorts
Taking kids to MacDonalds for breakfast. lunch and dinner
Ignoring your kids because you want to lay by the pool for 9 hours everyday

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
and have to make do with a week on the piss in Benidorm - So they take their tops off, enjoy a fry up and can't speak Spanish. So what? Get over yourselves.

Why don't you just stay home and do it - waste of money to go that far and do the same as if you'd holidayed at home!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fair point. But they are annoyingly macho jocko kids. They have quite a bizarre body shape are well, huge popeye style arms and guts. I made a few discrete enquiries about this and was told it's because they spend most of their time pumping iron and drinking beer bongs. I was in Miami for the winter music conference a few years back and it was teeming with brits but for once they were actually incredibly well behaved, I'd say the jocks were worse.

The further you go the better behaved Brits are, I have spent quite a bit of time in the States and even in places like Vegas people respect each other and never go massively over the top, I have seen 1 fight in 4 trips to Vegas.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Going on holiday later this week to the Canary Islands... I'm more worried about Spanish gloaters than any of the above to be honest. Although the other half and I do tend to go to out-of-town hotels and chill by the pool. Not so much because we hate British lager louts, but more because we already live in a City Centre and have people throwing up in the street outside our place most Saturday nights - we go on holiday to get away from the norm.

I must admit that I quite like German and Italian people on holiday, they always seem nice and you don't really have to chat to them.

My holiday reading is 'Playing the Enemy: Nelson Mandela and the Game That Changed a Nation' by John Carlin (the book that Invictus is based upon), not sure if that counts as quality reading or not?

Oh, and I'm only guilty of number #6 I think - I'll let you lot decide the quality of my reading!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
The funny thing is they show the odd tv show about Brits on holidays and there's always the loutish lads giving it all they have and acting like twats around the locals.

Yet I know there's plenty of Brits out here but I've never seen them act that way here.

Do they act differently in say Spain than they would here?

Are they more wary our locals will belt them one as compared to the Spanish for example?

Or maybe scummy Brits at the lower end of the social scale can't afford to travel to Australia?

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Unbelievably the people we were parked up with in the paddock over the weekend did their shopping in Sainsburys before they left!!! FRANCE for gods sake, the food in the local supermakets pisses all over sainsburys! daftness of the highest order...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
what is is like, I am there in October for a couple of nights.

also English women abroad with massive GUNTS, and he toplesss chav scum tattooed men are pet hates of brits abroad, especially the ones that get drunk and have to sing en ger land en ger land

Should go to South beach, Everglades and See the Heat play if get a chance and in season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The further you go the better behaved Brits are, I have spent quite a bit of time in the States and even in places like Vegas people respect each other and never go massively over the top, I have seen 1 fight in 4 trips to Vegas.

My sister went to Vegas, and she saw a MASSIVE fight between a chippy MANC, and a black American bloke. Loads of people watching and goading / cheering them on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
have to make do with a week on the piss in Benidorm - So they take their tops off, enjoy a fry up and can't speak Spanish. So what? Get over yourselves.

I'm confused - why does the lack of time free mean people have to behave like complete tossers, just because its a shorter holiday? I can't see the link myself.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm confused - why does the lack of time free mean people have to behave like complete tossers, just because its a shorter holiday? I can't see the link myself.

I'm just pointing out that if you want to take your top off, eat a fry up, try and get by speaking English and god forbid, get p****d then it's not the end of the frigging world. There's a subtext of snobbery in this thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here