Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10 Annoying things that Brits do abroad

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm just pointing out that if you want to take your top off, eat a fry up, try and get by speaking English and god forbid, get p****d then it's not the end of the frigging world. There's a subtext of snobbery in this thread.

Yeah maybe a bit. I don't have a problem with people who struggle to speak Spanish but at least MAKE A F*CKING EFFORT. It's the fact you constantly see an arrogance from Brits abroad, where they clearly expect everything to be in English.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm just pointing out that if you want to take your top off, eat a fry up, try and get by speaking English and god forbid, get p****d then it's not the end of the frigging world. There's a subtext of snobbery in this thread.

subtext!

you should see israelis, russians, japs, on holiday. dont get me started on koreans on the piss around asia.

mate self hate and snobbery is bread and butter (or should i say a nice baguette and a pain au chocolat in the dordogne and saying bonjour to the woman in the patiserrie remembering your manners and proving you are not like the riff raff english) on here.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yeah maybe a bit. I don't have a problem with people who struggle to speak Spanish but at least MAKE A F*CKING EFFORT. It's the fact you constantly see an arrogance from Brits abroad, where they clearly expect everything to be in English.

I think you should always make a little effort. Not sure it's arrogance though, more a lack of confidence - I hate hearing myself trying to speak 'foreign', feel a right nonce but it is a nice feeling when you can at least order something of a menu or whatever.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
subtext!

you should see israelis, russians, japs, on holiday. dont get me started on koreans on the piss around asia.

mate self hate and snobbery is bread and butter (or should i say a nice baguette and a pain au chocolat in the dordogne and saying bonjour to the woman in the patiserrie remembering your manners and proving you are not like the riff raff english) on here.

Mmm self hate, pot kettle etc etc

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

why do the french have to have f***ing road signs in their own language in newhaven. lazy cnts.

Love threads like this with all these superior people who are magnificent cultural ambassadors - It's just everyone else that is embarrassing.

Some people can't afford to go off spending 6 months living with Nepalese goat farmers and have to make do with a week on the piss in Benidorm - So they take their tops off, enjoy a fry up and can't speak Spanish. So what? Get over yourselves.

Bloody right. I always take my Albion top away and much prefer bacon to croissants.

The only thing I think is out of order is people thinking they can get by by saying what they want in English, only slower and louder. Nothing wrong with trying a bit of the local lingo.

Why don't you just stay home and do it - waste of money to go that far and do the same as if you'd holidayed at home!

Often it's the same price to go away as it is in this country, and at least you're guaranteed the weather.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yeah they are pretty stupid, however they are nice people.

Disagree I'm afraid. Having worked in hotels for nearly 10 years I found Americans generally arrogant and rude ( not all of them but a majority ).

I was working in a hotel in Australia and an American "gentleman" was furious that I wouldn't acccept his US dollars for payment - kind of sums up the Americans I've had to serve perfectly really .... and sadly.

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
We all speak french in Newhaven, we have the English signs for the rest of you

i remember someone opened a proper french restaurant in the town years ago, in a spirit of unbridled optimism. it wasnt bad at all. late 80s/early 90s? cant remember its name now.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
subtext!

Is it contradictory to say that self hate is something I hate about this country?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I must admit that I quite like German and Italian people on holiday, they always seem nice and you don't really have to chat to them.

I agree, I obviously like the Germans and the Italians give me a good run for my money in my Speedos.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Is it contradictory to say that self hate is something I hate about this country?

i think that was scampi fries point. not a bad one as it goes i suppose.

decreasingcast.jpeg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Not at all, and I agree if you include negativity and cynicism in the list. Another reason I prefer "foreigns".

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Love threads like this with all these superior people who are magnificent cultural ambassadors - It's just everyone else that is embarrassing.

Some people can't afford to go off spending 6 months living with Nepalese goat farmers and have to make do with a week on the piss in Benidorm - So they take their tops off, enjoy a fry up and can't speak Spanish. So what? Get over yourselves.

:clap::clap::clap:

The snobery on here often amazes me. Do 'forgeiners' not behave badly too? Anybody who has ever had the misfortune to visit Euro Disney and see the French at work has had their definition of rudeness redefined

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's Les Trois Canards on the Coast Road in Peacehaven. Opposite Roy's Liquor Store.

Has anyone been? It looks horrible.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
There's Les Trois Canards on the Coast Road in Peacehaven. Opposite Roy's Liquor Store.

no not that one. this one was opposite lloyds in newhaven.

i dont know anyone who has ever been in the peacehaven one. it keeps going though it appears.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
:clap::clap::clap:

The snobery on here often amazes me. Do 'forgeiners' not behave badly too? Anybody who has ever had the misfortune to visit Euro Disney and see the French at work has had their definition of rudeness redefined

Do you really want to go down that road?
Comparing French and English behaviour in their own countries?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here