Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10 Annoying things that Brits do abroad

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No way, bet it's all frogs legs and snails innit. :sick:

Have you seen it though? It's a stand alone single story building with 70s aluminum patio windows/doors at the front and filthy net curtains from top to floor.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
subtext!

you should see israelis, russians, japs, on holiday. dont get me started on koreans on the piss around asia.

mate self hate and snobbery is bread and butter (or should i say a nice baguette and a pain au chocolat in the dordogne and saying bonjour to the woman in the patiserrie remembering your manners and proving you are not like the riff raff english) on here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, "self-hate". This coming from Mr Working Class Man Of The Year 2004-2010.

Did Simster reveal your occupation to everyone in the end then, or did you beg and plead with him not to because he would have destroyed the fake image (apples and pears, my old man's a dustman etc etc) you have built up on here?

I'd say you are probably in a very knowledgeable position to talk about "self-hate".

:lolol::lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
:clap::clap::clap:

The snobery on here often amazes me. Do 'forgeiners' not behave badly too? Anybody who has ever had the misfortune to visit Euro Disney and see the French at work has had their definition of rudeness redefined

I did say right at the start that I don't think many of these traits are exclusively British. I certainly don't see many French in the UK settling down to read Proust and sit down in the pie and mash shop. Foreigners do tend to more proficient at English than we are at other languages - that part does ring true.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I like wearing my football shirts on holiday. They also have the advantage that they can be washed and dried easily without creasing.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Not exploring is daft. The past three years, I have been on holiday with a similar group and most of the time they want to lie on a packed beach for much of the holiday. Dull, dull, dull!

I tend to leave my Britishness behind and immerse myself in the culture of the country visited and make an effort to learn some of the language.

Never in a million years would I go on an all inclusive holiday with the central hub of a pool and a false idea of the hosting country. Shit.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Do you really want to go down that road?
Comparing French and English behaviour in their own countries?

I think what annoys people though is this assumption that, for isntance, people 'better' in France behave better than in England - Do you honestly believe that they don't have problems with anti-social (which is basically what people are alluding to) in France? It may not take the form of the locals getting leathered on a weekend night and having a sing song and a punch up. But they're not shy of a bit of old fashioned mugging, rioting, drug trafficking... I just which we'd accentuate the positives about our country a little more often, because there are a lot.

I think what annoys people though is this assumption that, for isntance, people 'better' in France behave better than in England - Do you honestly believe that they don't have problems with anti-social (which is basically what people are alluding to) in France? It may not take the form of the locals getting leathered on a weekend night and having a sing song and a punch up. But they're not shy of a bit of old fashioned mugging, rioting, drug trafficking... I just which we'd accentuate the positives about our country a little more often, because there are a lot.

You should post more often.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
There are many positives, however in the case of Prague, its not always apparent. Admittedly, they come here to get pissed and laid on stag nights, but the overall impression they give my work colleagues, isnt that positive.
Cited: Extreme drunkeness, vomiting in street, pissing in street, aggression/fighting, loud, rude.
People always see the headlines, but thats what the headlines are here, when referring to British stag parties etc. Its not a one off thing. Its apparent EVERY week.
Personally, ive still not got over 12 staggers wearing borat swimsuits in Wenceslas Square in December. Feel im mentally scarred for life. How did I know they were English..because they made it impossible for anybody to NOT know.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
There are many positives, however in the case of Prague, its not always apparent. Admittedly, they come here to get pissed and laid on stag nights, but the overall impression they give my work colleagues, isnt that positive.
Cited: Extreme drunkeness, vomiting in street, pissing in street, aggression/fighting, loud, rude.
People always see the headlines, but thats what the headlines are here, when referring to British stag parties etc. Its not a one off thing. Its apparent EVERY week.
Personally, ive still not got over 12 staggers wearing borat swimsuits in Wenceslas Square in December.

I don't doubt it mate - in fact I know it - just trying to counter the balance a little.

That said, is there anything actually wrong with dressing up in a Borat swim suit?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

I agree with that, but isn't this thread meant to be just a light-hearted discussion about Brits being a bit annoying on their holidays. Nothing more. I think our "self-deprecation" is one of our better qualities in this country, although we do take it too far at times (sport).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't doubt it mate - in fact I know it - just trying to counter the balance a little.

That said, is there anything actually wrong with dressing up in a Borat swim suit?

Chock full of WRONG.

F_200703_March17BORA_26197a.jpg

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A good friend of mine went to Cuba for two weeks and had a 'lovely time'. Playing tennis, swimming, lying on the beach and lovely food. All provided by the beach resort. She managed to squeeze in a day trip to Havana and that was the extent of the exploring.

Why would you go to such lengths to get to a wholly fascinating country and spend it couped up with fellow tourists and do what you could do at Butlins? WHY goddammit!?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Not read all of the posts above but I'm going to stand up for the Ingerlish abroad here. Over the years I have seen some rowdy, chavvy and downright violent behaviour from brits abroad, but over recent years - in my experience - it actually seems to have improved. However with the rising cost of living in France there are more frogs than ever taking holidays in Spain and they are the biggest pain of the lot. Go to any Costa beach, find yourself a quiet corner and you'll know the French as they'll be the ones that arrive MOB HANDED in a loud obnoxious group and will practically camp on top of you even if the rest of the beach is empty. They'll then put on loud music, smoke like it's going out of fashion and throw their fag ends at you, also their empty beer and wine bottles. And that is the 'family groups'. Believe me, the Spanish mainly welcome the brits with open arms but would be very happy for the french to stay north of the border.

Also, if you go to Cyprus and see a group of pissed up blokes looking for a knife fight at 3am they're far more likely to be Russian than British

Oct 25, 2003
A good friend of mine went to Cuba for two weeks and had a 'lovely time'. Playing tennis, swimming, lying on the beach and lovely food. All provided by the beach resort. She managed to squeeze in a day trip to Havana and that was the extent of the exploring.

Why would you go to such lengths to get to a wholly fascinating country and spend it couped up with fellow tourists and do what you could do at Butlins? WHY goddammit!?

i agree, i 'slummed it' a bit while i was over there, had a great time, the different people we stayed with were without exception amazing. Very helpful, basically acted as unofficial tour guides, cooked us cracking meals, told us stories etc.

stayed the last night in a hotel, couldn't believe the contrast, i saw "segunda compay"(sp?) there and it was insanely depressing, couldn't understand why people would go all the way there and stay in a tourist compound (basically what it is) for more than a night over there, if that's all you're interested in, go to another caribbean island!

(edit:- just like to add that most of the residents of this hotel were canadian/secret americans (shhhh don't tell barack)/german, not british)

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Brits in America who say “awesome”, “cool” and “dude”.

Not cool and certainly not awesome dude.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Blokes walking around the town with no shirt on irritates me, I must say. To be fair, the people who do it probably do the same when it's hot at home, but as far as I'm concerned, it's just wrong.

Walk around the beach shirtless, by all means, or by the pool or even through your hotel. But if you're going out, put some bloody clothes on. Even if it is a numbered polo shirt with CAPTAIN FUCKNUTS: MALIA TOUR 09 on the back and it doesn't stop you uncontrollably shouting OI OI!!! at everything that passes with a pair of breasts.

It's like most of the stupid and/or embarrassing behaviour on here. The perpetrators probably do the same sort of thing at home in West Street (for example) on a Friday night, only they've only been drinking since 6pm instead of 10am.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Frutos got sick all over the Millennium Bridge here while wearing a football shirt, so I can definitely confirm #2.

:glare:

It was not ALL OVER said bridge, and I still maintain it was that burger that caused it. Bloody foreign food.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Edna, I agree. The sheer number of topless, fat, tattoo'ed blokes walking around Wolverhampton these last two weeks has frankly been ambarassing. At very least stick a vest on!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here