Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any provision for extra seats?????.....

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Am very excited about everything happening at moment,,was just wondering if the dream becomes reality and in five years time we reach the promiseland that is the premiership and a whole new gereration off fans come to the club.Is there any provision to extend falmer to 30,000????Remember the Bamber era excess off 30,000 at goldstone on a regular basis!!!!!!!....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There is but keep it schtum.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Officially no, but you can see from the plans that the corners and behind the goals could be extended if needed. This has been thought through but, for now, let's just try and get the 16,000 or so needed to break even...

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Am very excited about everything happening at moment,,was just wondering if the dream becomes reality and in five years time we reach the promiseland that is the premiership and a whole new gereration off fans come to the club.Is there any provision to extend falmer to 30,000????Remember the Bamber era excess off 30,000 at goldstone on a regular basis!!!!!!!....

In theory i think the capacity could be expanded to in excess of 30,000 the east stand is certainly designed to take another tier of perhaps 4000 seats but as Lord Bracknel (i think) stated it would ultimatly be the transport infrastructure that would determine maximum capacity.

I would imagine that expanding Falmer wouild require massivly expanding Falmer train station which would meet huge local opposition the only other option would be to build an entirly new station adjacent to the stadium but i would imagine the costs would well exceed 10-15 million.

I don't doubt that the stadium was designed with expansion in mind or else the design wouldn't include spaces in the corners or a mysterious missing tier on the East stand but we're a long way away from that i reckon.

In theory i think the capacity could be expanded to in excess of 30,000 the east stand is certainly designed to take another tier of perhaps 4000 seats but as Lord Bracknel (i think) stated it would ultimatly be the transport infrastructure that would determine maximum capacity.

I would imagine that expanding Falmer wouild require massivly expanding Falmer train station which would meet huge local opposition the only other option would be to build an entirly new station adjacent to the stadium but i would imagine the costs would well exceed 10-15 million.

I don't doubt that the stadium was designed with expansion in mind or else the design wouldn't include spaces in the corners or a mysterious missing tier on the East stand but we're a long way away from that i reckon.
Increasing the capacity of the railway isn't just a matter of building longer platforms at Falmer. To allow eight coach trains to run on that stretch of line means having the capacity at Brighton, London Road, Moulsecoomb, Falmer and Lewes to take eight coach trains.

The track layout at Lewes makes that impossible.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Increasing the capacity of the railway isn't just a matter of building longer platforms at Falmer. To allow eight coach trains to run on that stretch of line means having the capacity at Brighton, London Road, Moulsecoomb, Falmer and Lewes to take eight coach trains.

Whats stopping having a few 4 carridge trains lined up waiting?

Whats stopping having a few 4 carridge trains lined up waiting?
Waiting where?

And what would be the signalling arrangements that would allow the existing four-trains-an-hour service in each direction between Lewes and Brighton to carry on running when football matches are happening?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Lewes cant take 8 car trains? whats the out look for 8 car shuttles to/from Brighton (one day, its not going to be an issue for many years...)

Lewes cant take 8 car trains? whats the out look for 8 car shuttles to/from Brighton (one day, its not going to be an issue for many years...)

Lewes station can't take 8 car trains on the Brighton line platforms. I think they would be hard pushed to fit five carriages into the east-bound platform without overlapping the Haywards Heath - Eastbourne line.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
*Hypothetically* speaking if another tier was put on the East stand, and all 4 corners were filled in, what would the new capcity be ?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
*Hypothetically* speaking if another tier was put on the East stand, and all 4 corners were filled in, what would the new capcity be ?

Late twenty thousands i'd guess.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Brighton station certainly has platforms long enough, and tho I haven't measured them, pretty sure Lewes does also, seeing as how it used to be a major interchange. And there's currently other stretches of track on the network where the announcement goes out 'If you want to alight at [station x] please make sure you are travelling in the front/back/middle four carriages'. Hardly an insurmountable problem I'd have thought.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
are both the ends the same size???not that im moaning in any way,but the ends do seem quite shallow,,,,will there be a home end so to speak,it will be so good to have a proper atmosphere again,,,i think a big problem with the home form,is that clubs are not in anyway intimadated by the atmosphere at withdean,as its all lost in the open enviroment.

Brighton station certainly has platforms long enough, and tho I haven't measured them, pretty sure Lewes does also, seeing as how it used to be a major interchange.
Lewes is still a major interchange - but it definitely doesn't have the capacity for longer trains on the Brighton line.

When I was still working for ESCC - at the time the Albion submitted the first version of the planning application for the Falmer stadium - it was part of my job to comment on the public transport aspects of planning applications. It was obvious then that unrealistic expectations were being made about the ability of the railway to deliver greater capacity to serve a new stadium.

Fortunately, the Albion's planning application was accompanied by a letter from Connex SouthCentral that said "We are confident that we can provide the capacity needed for a 22,000 seater stadium at Falmer".

That let me off the hook. I could keep the ESCC comment to a simple statement to the effect that "the train operator says there isn't going to be a problem".

Throughout the series of public inquiries, I remained AMAZED that the NIMBYs didn't challenge this part of the application. Too late now, of course.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Sorry if this has already been done to death, but what provision has been/will be made for parking (push)bikes at Falmer? Will there be a secure compound as there used to be at Withdean? I can walk to Brighton station in 15 minutes, but can get to Falmer in 20 minutes by bike, and frankly I need the exercise!

And there's currently other stretches of track on the network where the announcement goes out 'If you want to alight at [station x] please make sure you are travelling in the front/back/middle four carriages'. Hardly an insurmountable problem I'd have thought.
They are supposed to be phasing that arrangement out. And they are certainly not allowed to introduce it on new services.

Sorry if this has already been done to death, but what provision has been/will be made for parking (push)bikes at Falmer? Will there be a secure compound as there used to be at Withdean? I can walk to Brighton station in 15 minutes, but can get to Falmer in 20 minutes by bike, and frankly I need the exercise!
There will definitely be secure cycle parking at Falmer. There'll even be new facilities for cyclists to cross the A270 safely from the existing Brighton - Falmer cycle track to the other side of the road. This is part of the new flyover near Southern Water's HQ that SEEDA money is being spent on.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
So basically for us to increase Falmer we need to spend loads of money increase the train network. So all in all it ain't going to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here