Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Maybe he can be replaced by this Andy Gray

_41373214_andygray270.jpg

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
???

I'm surprised people don't think he should be sacked. He said, in a very public setting (i.e. in a studio - regardless of whether you are filmed or not) a very sexist comment. He was right, there was a big decision and one that she got spot on. Well played to her.

You and I don't CHOOSE to be in a public spot light. He does. His choice to be under scrutiny by the media and public is down to his own free will. If he chooses the media/punditry option he has to act responsibily at work.

However if you are in the "well its just office banter" camp. Banter is often long term jabs at people you are close to at work. I have banter with two people and it gets me through my shifts. If i then took what I say to my female friend at work and made comments in the crew room BEFORE my shift has even started with her about her ability to work in the kitchen because she's female (the kitchen is male dominated during most of my shifts) then i'd expect to get sacked/punished.

He has a responsibility because of his position in the media. He f***ed it up.

And he's an annoying **** anyway. No more fifa games with him thank god. I hope.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Bit Harsh but Sky need to be seen to be all PC, particularly whilst Murdoch wants to take full control. Gray has been made a bit of a scapegoat, but these outdated views prove it is time for new blood.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bit Harsh but Sky need to be seen to be all PC, particularly whilst Murdoch wants to take full control. Gray has been made a bit of a scapegoat, but these outdated views prove it is time for new blood.

People being made to face the consequences of their own actions is not scapegoating. It is merely people being made to face the consequences of their own actions!
As far as I can see, no one is blaming them for other people's misdemeanors.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I wonder if we will see Andy Gray washed up in the Gulf...probably.

Showtime (Dubai), Abu Dhabi Sports or Al Jazeera (Qatar). Sexist comments positively encouraged.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
If a woman said that men can't cook on a cookery show, would it get the same reaction as this?
Bollocks would it. Hideous over-reaction.
There is no point trying to give women a place in the men's game, because no matter what happens, there will always be mass controversy. Can you imagine the reaction if Meireles would have been offside for the first goal on Saturday? It would've been 10 times worse than if the decision was made by a male linesman.
I have no issues with women being involved in men's football (bar Jacqui Oatley), but they will simply never be accepted by the majority of knuckledragging fans- simple as.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Made me laugh watching daybreak yesterday morning and they're all saying how bad it is this sexism from Andy Grey. Excuse me? It's thanks to sexism that all you lovelies have a job on Daybreak!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This isn't really about sexism. It's about bullying and the macho, crass atmosphere surrounding a couple of Sky's star players that people have had to buy into to work on their biggest gigs.

Women, in particular, may well find that atmosphere uncomfortable but there are plenty of blokes that do too. Some of the more outrageous 'banter' of the dressing room doesn't even sit easily with all players - quite why anyone would think it's acceptable outside of that very enclosed environment is beyond me. Paul Hayward's piece, as usual, is spot on.

Anyway, Gray has long since lost the plot with his analysis, constantly chastising players for what they should have done or patronising them with his ludicrous "take a bow".

You know what Andy Gray, I don't remember you instantaneously opting not to shoot but instead, using some sixth sense picking, out a guy at the far post through a clutch of players with a perfect pass... I just remember you barging goalkeepers into the back of the net like a big lump. Time to go - good riddance.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If a woman said that men can't cook on a cookery show, would it get the same reaction as this?
Bollocks would it. Hideous over-reaction.
There is no point trying to give women a place in the men's game, because no matter what happens, there will always be mass controversy. Can you imagine the reaction if Meireles would have been offside for the first goal on Saturday? It would've been 10 times worse than if the decision was made by a male linesman.
I have no issues with women being involved in men's football (bar Jacqui Oatley), but they will simply never be accepted by the majority of knuckledragging fans- simple as.

What a daft argument: why on earth would a woman go on a cookery show and say men can't cook? :facepalm:

Secondly, it may have escaped your attention but there have been female officials in the league before Sian Massey, who have got by just fine without any particular controversy, so to suggest they have no place is ludicrous. Clearly there would be no place for them as players, but there is no reason why they can't officiate quite competently.

And thirdly, the world of football is not all full of knuckle draggers (there are some, but by no means ALL) which is why the majority of posters on this thread can and have recognised why Gray & Keys were deemed to be offensive, and why those who resort to tedious (and incorrect) bleating about "the PC brigade":yawn: are in the minority on this thread.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What a daft argument: why on earth would a woman go on a cookery show and say men can't cook? :facepalm:

Secondly, it may have escaped your attention but there have been female officials in the league before Sian Massey, who have got by just fine without any particular controversy, so to suggest they have no place is ludicrous. Clearly there would be no place for them as players, but there is no reason why they can't officiate quite competently.

And thirdly, the world of football is not all full of knuckle draggers (there are some, but by no means ALL) which is why the majority of posters on this thread can and have recognised why Gray & Keys were deemed to be offensive, and why those who resort to tedious (and incorrect) bleating about "the PC brigade":yawn: are in the minority on this thread.

As always Edna, you have it spot on. Are you really a police officer? You seem far too intelligent :rolleyes:

Some interesting comments on this thread. The female partners of some of the posters on here must be really delighted with their views, if indeed they have femail partners.

Banter is only banter if the subject of the banter finds it funny. Charlotte Jackson clearly did not. I find it interesting that the YouTube video has been removed as the poster has closed their account. I suspect, as do others, that this has been going on for ages and that certain people within Sky Sports have been waiting for their chance to act.

I believe that more female officials in football would do the game a lot of good - I would hope that the players had actually more respect for female officials and would spend less of their time verbally abusing them and getting on with the game. It is utterly pathetic for anyone in this day and age to say that women have no role in football. The number of people signing up to become refs is dropping, no doubt from all the abuse they get, and women should be encouraged to get involved.

What do you think of the ladies on Sky Sports News though? I tuned in last week to see if the Albion had signed anyone, only to see Georgie Thompson with her boobs hanging out having her hair blown by an off camera fan because the air conditioning had broken down apparently. Quite why her male colleague sitting next to her still had his jacket on remains a mystery. Flagging ratings perhaps?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Whatever your views on the rights and wrongs of the sacking, there will be very few people who've worked at Sky upset by it. While I don't know Keys or Gray personally I've had lots of contact with people that do and, given some of the stories I've heard, it's no wonder their downfall has been greeted with outright joy. 'What goes around comes around' is the apt expression here. While the sacking may seem over the top outside of the industry, it's not really a surprise given the allegations about how production staff have been treated through the years... and those would include plenty of people with the ability to record conversations or make sure 'off-air' nuggets didn't get lost...

Interesting stuff. Have heard similar rumours, though I don't know anyone personally who has worked with him.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Banter is only banter if the subject of the banter finds it funny.

I wonder about that statement. I have read many court cases over the years for unfair dismissal, or sexual harrassment, where "banter" of this sort has been taken in good humour at the time, only to be dragged up later and used against the person later. In fact I remember an occassion where a remark was made by my boss - nothing too bad, but slight sexist connotations, where the female in question had a fit of laughter about it at the time, but something like 3 years later in a slightly more stressful darker time, she just dropped into a conversation "of course, there was that highly sexist comment made to me by x - which I'll use against the company if if I ever get sacked"

Regardless of that, having now read of a few comments that Keys has made over the years, he seems to come across quite sinister in tone, and nasty - not humourous at all.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon

The latest video to emerge shows what a offensive tool Richard Keys really is.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I wonder about that statement. I have read many court cases over the years for unfair dismissal, or sexual harrassment, where "banter" of this sort has been taken in good humour at the time, only to be dragged up later and used against the person later. In fact I remember an occassion where a remark was made by my boss - nothing too bad, but slight sexist connotations, where the female in question had a fit of laughter about it at the time, but something like 3 years later in a slightly more stressful darker time, she just dropped into a conversation "of course, there was that highly sexist comment made to me by x - which I'll use against the company if if I ever get sacked"

Regardless of that, having now read of a few comments that Keys has made over the years, he seems to come across quite sinister in tone, and nasty - not humourous at all.

Yes indeed. That can be a problem. I am very glad that I don't work in an office anymore!!

What was apparent to me in that clip with Charlotte Jackson is that Andy Gray made those comments to impress Keys rather than anyone else. In the other clips Gray just appeared to be agreeing with everything Keys said, so maybe Keys is on his way out too.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yes indeed. That can be a problem. I am very glad that I don't work in an office anymore!!

What was apparent to me in that clip with Charlotte Jackson is that Andy Gray made those comments to impress Keys rather than anyone else. In the other clips Gray just appeared to be agreeing with everything Keys said, so maybe Keys is on his way out too.

No loss if Keys goes, personally, never rated him.

There are two issues going on here though, firstly the remarks questioning Ms Masseys ability and attributing these to all women - clearly wrong and out of order, possibly sackable offence for a start. Secondly there is the conversational sexist remarks, which whilst not right, I would imagine anyone on here would have been guilty of at some time or another, even if it's a private converation to a mate to say "ooh, she's fit" - it's no different.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Turns out that that sian massey wasnt pulled from the crewe game to spare her from publicity, apparently she was in tears in her dressing room and refused to come out because the other linesman was wearing the same outfit as her !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here