Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

your favourite piece of commentary?

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
Richard Keys: Well, somebody better get down there and explain offside to her.

Andy Gray: Yeah, I know. Can you believe that? Female linesman. Forget what I said – they probably don't know the offside rule.

Richard Keys: Course they don't.

Andy Gray: Why is there a female linesman? Somebody's f***ed up big.

Richard Keys: I can guarantee you there'll be a big one today. Kenny [Dalglish, Liverpool's manager] will go potty. This is not the first time. Didn't we have one before?

Andy Gray: Yeah.

Richard Keys: Wendy Toms.

Andy Gray: Wendy Toms, something like that. She was f***ing hopeless as well.

Richard Keys: [exasperated groan]

Andy Gray: [inaudible]

Richard Keys: No, no, it's got to be done, it's good. The game's gone mad. See charming Karren Brady this morning complaining about sexism? Yeah. Do me a favour, love.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone remember Tony Millards radio commentary at hereford? Late in the game Maskell is through with just one defender in front and another Albion Player (cant remember who) in space to his left who would surely score. Maskell hesitates and Tony screams "Pass it! Pass it! For christs sakes Pass it!" Sheer Quality and if anyone has the wherewithal to get a link to it on here, we would all be very grateful!
I'd never heard that Millard commentary until about two weeks ago (someone posted the link to a section of it). Easily, easily the best commentary ever in the history of world sport! Especially the bit when Reinelt scores, nothing comes close.

Always liked that Norwegian commentator as well "Lord Nelson! Lady Di! Maggie Thatcher can you hear me? Your boys have taken a hell of a beating!"

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Johnny cantor: Surely he has dived there It's a free kick on the edge of the box. :bowdown:

All from last season.

"As noone plays the ball through to buckley, one on one with the keeper, HE'S DONE IT AGAIN, WILL BUCKLEY the 2nd half substitute strikes again! the Amex goes wild!!!! Gus poyet behind us, he's on his feet, the albion have done it, they will open their new home with a victory"

"Will it come down, yes it will Bridcutt left footed, WHAT A VOLLEY, its the stuff of champions, its the stuff of dreams, in the 3rd minute of injury time a left footed volley from liam bridcutt, has surely, surely won it for the seagulls."

"Dicker's over it, tees it up for LUA LUA. A SUBLIME STRIKE FROM KAZENGA LUA LUA, well i don't know about sublime, that's a rocket, just look at the dip on that, the keepers getting nowhere near it. And the celebration from lua lua, well you could say they are head over heels in love with him here at the Withdean"

"It's finished charlton nil Brighton and hove albion four. The seagulls fans now applaud their players. A band if blue and white fills the stand to our left. The chant is we are top of the league, its a clear message from Gus poyet and his side, winning so comfortably away from home, against a club like charlton athletic."

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It's Bobby Moore.

(Beats opponent) Oh,so cool !

(Loses ball) Too cool !

( Opponents score) One -nil !!

It was an England International,so I'd guess Motson,but I can't even guess at the opponents.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Blimey, two pages and no-one's mentioned the most well-known commentary of them all.

NRK Nett-TV - hastighetsmåling

Bjørge Lillelien, 1981. :bowdown:

"Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher, jeg har et budskap til deg midt under valgkampen. Jeg har et budskap til deg: Vi har slått England ut av Verdensmesterskapet i fotball. Maggie Thatcher, som de sier på ditt språk i boksebarene rundt Madison Square Garden i New York: Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"

For those whose Norwegian is a bit rusty...

"We are the best in the world! We are the best in the world! We have beaten England 2-1 in football!! It is completely unbelievable! We have beaten England! England, birthplace of giants. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--we have beaten them all. We have beaten them all. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher, I have a message for you in the middle of the election campaign. I have a message for you: We have knocked England out of the football World Cup. Maggie Thatcher, as they say in your language in the boxing bars around Madison Square Garden in New York: Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
"Thomas..... It's up for grabs nowwwwwwwwwww!" Brian Moore (Arsenal winning title at Anfield in last minute).

"Radford again... What a....... GOAL!!!!! WHAT A GOAL!!!!!!! Radford the scorer. Ronnie Radford. And now the crowd are invading the pitch..." John Motson, Hereford v Newcastle

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Because I'm a young-un:

"Noone.. oh lovely footwork, needs to pick the pass and he might just've done it - it's Buckley in again. TWO ONE BRIGHTON! WILL BUCKLEY WITH THE DOUBLE STRIKE"

Also,

"England trail by two goals to one. Beckham could raise the roof here with a goal. I don't believe it! David Beckham scores the goal to take England all the way to the world cup finals! Give that man a knighthood!"

Nov 20, 2003
hove
And wichard Bwodie hits the Cwossbar for Cwawely and always like Hawseys "here comes aspinall chugging through the mid field so to speak" or he used to end it "if you see what I mean" have noticed when paul camlin is on air the he has nicked those hawsie isms .like it as hawsie is a legend and i miss him loads .

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Barry Davies must have a few in his locker.

I always thought Barry Davies 'Well, you have to say that's magnificent' for Diego Maradona's wonder goal against England in the 86 World Cup was a great bit of commentary, especially when you consider he had punched it into the net only 3 minutes previous.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Tony Millard at Anfield in '83...."He's passed it to Gerry Ryan who has so far done absolutely nothing except put the Albion in the lead".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well obviously:
"Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over.
It is now, it's four!"

It may be over used, but the timing and occassion were perfect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here