Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will Maupay still have a future with Potter after this?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Calm, but fairly strong words from GP in the post match interview:

Potter doesn’t seem to have much tolerance for players who have emotional or disciplinary issues. See Andone and Knockeart.

Maupay has also been struggling most of this season, certainly in terms of chances missed. He’ll now miss most of the season to compound that.

What happens to Maupay now?

This is his first disciplinary issue this season, so I doubt that will be a problem for the manager, but his terrible goal scoring record will be.

This is a breakdown of his goals this season.

4 goals in the opening four matches.
Penalty v Newcasle
One touch finish from 6 yards v Newcastle unchallenged.
Penalty v Man Utd.
Tap in from 5 yards v Everton after Jordan Pickford drops the ball at his feet.

Then nothing for 10 matches before scoring 3 in 5.
One touch swivel shot from 8 yards v West Ham.
Penalty v Wolves.
One touch tap in from 4 yards v Leeds

Since then he has scored just 1 in 16.
A decent one touch finish from 10 yards v Newcastle.

So apart from penalties, he has only scored one touch finishes all of which stood directly in front of goal when a teammate (or Jordan Pickford) has put it on a plate for him.

I don’t think we'll sell him, but I would be amazed if he is our first choice striker next season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yep....one goal in 16 games is proof positive of that.

This in a team which is generally dominant in most matches

The numbers back up what they eyes have been telling us for a long time.

Maupay has had an extraordinary amount of faith placed in him and not repaid it

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This is his first disciplinary issue this season, so I doubt that will be a problem for the manager, but his terrible goal scoring record will be.

This is a breakdown of his goals this season.

4 goals in the opening four matches.
Penalty v Newcasle
One touch finish from 6 yards v Newcastle unchallenged.
Penalty v Man Utd.
Tap in from 5 yards v Everton after Jordan Pickford drops the ball at his feet.

Then nothing for 10 matches before scoring 3 in 5.
One touch swivel shot from 8 yards v West Ham.
Penalty v Wolves.
One touch tap in from 4 yards v Leeds

Since then he has scored just 1 in 16.
A decent one touch finish from 10 yards v Newcastle.

So apart from penalties, he has only scored one touch finishes all of which stood directly in front of goal when a teammate (or Jordan Pickford) has put it on a plate for him.

I don’t think we'll sell him, but I would be amazed if he is our first choice striker next season.

I thought it was a very nice finish against Newcastle (h) and decent against West Ham ... but all the others you'd expect a goal from. One or two goals where he mildly overperformed expectations is nowhere good enough. Nowhere near.

And the rest of his game? meh.

Pace = decent but not spectacular
Strength = spent most of the second half today on the floor (ok a few rough ones, but he never looked like riding a challenge)
Hold up play = Well, just think today if we had a Muzza to control a clearance and draw a foul. He didn't hold it once today and this contributed to the waves of pressure.
Ball striking = May as well be wearing carpet slippers.

Hold up play

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I thought it was a very nice finish against Newcastle (h) and decent against West Ham ... but all the others you'd expect a goal from. One or two goals where he mildly overperformed expectations is nowhere good enough. Nowhere near.

And the rest of his game? meh.

Pace = decent but not spectacular
Strength = spent most of the second half today on the floor (ok a few rough ones, but he never looked like riding a challenge)
Hold up play = Well, just think today if we had a Muzza to control a clearance and draw a foul. He didn't hold it once today and this contributed to the waves of pressure.
Ball striking = May as well be wearing carpet slippers.

Hold up play

If you analyse his 8 goals and only count the ones that have affected the result, he has directly earned us 8 points.

3 points v Newcastle
1 point v West Ham
1 point v Wolves
3 points v Leeds

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I watched his Brentford goal reel the other night to see what was going wrong. 10 goals scored from championship keeper fumbles that rarely happen in the PL, the rest a load of pens and defensive mistake tap ins. Not sure I would of signed him tbh based on that. Interestingly Watkins looked the most likely to adapt to the PL who also picked up a red today.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If you analyse his 8 goals and only count the ones that have affected the result, he has directly earned us 8 points.

3 points v Newcastle
1 point v West Ham
1 point v Wolves
3 points v Leeds

Not so bothered about that. That's just the way it's turned out.

The thing that has bothered me is the lack of composure in the box that has blighted his season

I'm certain the sending off was as a result of all that frustration

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think he’s one of Potters favourites, and let’s face it, whilst he’s not the best player he is still probably one of the best two forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He just wanted to go on his holidays a few weeks early. Don't see the problem. The bottom 3 will be lucky if any of them get 30 points never mind catch anyone up in the final 3 games

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wouldn't say Potter's words are 'fairly strong' at all. Maupay had a bit of a rant at the fat tosser who then took exception to it....got a red so of course GP is 'disappointed' (even though he probably agrees with what Maupay said). Nothing much to see here - his goalscoring record is a much bigger issue to address.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Irrespective of his red card, I thought he had a poor game. If Potter can’t magically turn him into a 12+ goal scorer next season who can do all the holdup work, we’ll need a better striker in the summer.

And I’m a Maupay supporter. I love the bloke I really do. I want it to work out for him...but...he’s slowly starting to lose me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Irrespective of his red card, I thought he had a poor game. If Potter can’t magically turn him into a 12+ goal scorer next season who can do all the holdup work, we’ll need a better striker in the summer.

And I’m a Maupay supporter. I love the bloke I really do. I want it to work out for him...but...he’s slowly starting to lose me.

Yes, he is exposed because we need a better striker alongside and (at times) ahead of him. At this stage in his career he is not good enough to be our main goal threat but that does not mean he should be sold.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I hope not.
I’m convinced that he’s a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad. He is no where near as good a player as he thinks he is. I’d have no problem with him being sold.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Game of opinions but I thought he did really well today. Especially after the red when he was putting himself on the line and trying to win fouls up the pitch.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I imagine playing Widow Twanky in GraPott’s end of season panto could be his curtain call, unless GraPott decides to stage an AmDram production of Krzysztof Kieślowski‘s Three Colours Red trilogy as next season’s team bonding curtain opener.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I have a feeling that he might be off in the summer. Not because of today or his season generally but more a change for him. Wouldn’t be surprised if he went abroad

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
People who want to bench him or replace him in the starting eleven with something better or different, I understand that.

But selling him? Garbage idea.

With Maupay you know you have a hard working striker who scored a reasonable number of goals in the Premier League and who is pretty much never injured.

Its him, Danny Welbeck (injured for probably 50% of his career), Connolly (unproven and out with injuries x number of times this season), Florin Andone (injured for about 1,5 years) plus Percy Tau and Zeqiri who may or may (unfortunately more likely) not be the world beaters we want them to be.

Maupay is the closest thing you'll get to a guarantee that you always have at least one decent (and yeah some of you dont think he is but you dont score 8-10 goals in the best league in the world without being at least decent) forward available. Thats worth a lot in case you get injuries or if it turns out the new striker recruit is not able to bang in the 20 he'd be expected to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here