Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who on here is in a trade union?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Seeing as there is hot political debate on theboard this week, let's see who is, or has been, a member of a trade union, even if it is against their wishes.

Me, I kept up my membership of the NUJ (National Union of Journalists) which I joined in 1992. I am hardly an active member, but I deliberately haven't stopped my subscription either.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's a waste of time and money, unless there are a majority of the work force in one company that are members.

I spent years as an active member of NALGO/Unison.

Member, Steward, Convenor, Stewards' Committee Chair, Branch Executive Committee, Service Conditions Committee, Chair of both of those, Joint Negotiating Committee, Chair of that, Branch President, negotiator on behalf of union members employed as managers, Conference delegate.

Learned how to be a real trouble maker.

High point of my union career ... getting pissed with John Prescott at a party at NALGO headquarters.

Marvellous scenes.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Lord Bracknell said:
I spent years as an active member of NALGO/Unison.

Member, Steward, Convenor, Stewards' Committee Chair, Branch Executive Committee, Service Conditions Committee, Chair of both of those, Joint Negotiating Committee, Chair of that, Branch President, negotiator on behalf of union members employed as managers, Conference delegate.

Learned how to be a real trouble maker.

High point of my union career ... getting pissed with John Prescott at a party at NALGO headquarters.

Marvellous scenes.

And, you are proud of that?

chip said:
And, you are proud of that?
Actually ... yes.

I now find myself managing an organisation that employs three dozen people who don't belong to a trade union.

Workplace relationships are a shambles. People are constantly bickering with each other - and there are no sensible systems in place to resolve any grievances (or even discuss them sensibly). So people just lose their tempers.

Not good.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Moi, TSSA.

The only reason I remain in as at some point my employer will no doubt make me redundant and in the privatised railway they have tried to get round the Railways Act of Parliament.

When my turn comes to get made redundant I will get my moneysworth from them.

I consider it an insurance policy.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
No.

After some of the shit I got of Shop stewards when I was a temp years ago I'd never join a Trade Union.

CIU and Co-op though.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

I now find myself managing an organisation that employs three dozen people who don't belong to a trade union.

Workplace relationships are a shambles. People are constantly bickering with each other - and there are no sensible systems in place to resolve any grievances (or even discuss them sensibly). So people just lose their tempers.

Not good.

Surely thats a failure of management and leadership? Maybe you could hire Gordon Ramsey.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I was briefly in the IPMS, now Prospect, but gave up when the subs went over £ 120 / year.

The problem is, that without a Union, who does the employer negotiate with regard pay, terms & conditions, contracts of employment, disciplinary procedures, severance payments, pension rights, on site facilities ( e.g. Canteen, Staff social club, Creche etc etc. )

Answer, no-one. They certainly won't want to discuss these items on an individual basis unless they are a very small organisation.

Result, everyone hired on short-term contracts, no pension scheme, no annual appraisal system, no pay bargaining, probably no pay rises either, no real job security, probably quite a few breaches of health & safety legislation, no representation at industrial tribunals or legal advice in event of industrial accidents.

Having said that, I went to the Union AGM & decided that there were so many different views amongst the membership that the Union had a hopeless task when it came to negotiations with management.

Last edited:

I belong to an NUJ-BECTU household.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here