Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who has got a PSP then?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Great Cornholio said:
Having played both, there is simply no comparison. The DS is a GBA with 2 screens and games aimed at 10 year olds. The PSP is a portable PS2. The games are much more complex and take longer to program.

It has nothing to do with the GBA bar a Z80 emulator - the dual ARM's it has are of the 32 bit generation, and the GBA's single ARM was 26 bit, which means that even it has to be partially emulated.

Also, despite constant Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo games are not "for ten year olds". Sure, Mario, Kirby, etc may all be Nintendo, but thats not the -only- software for it.

If the PSP was a "portable PS2", there'd have been a -lot- more launch software for it. Its not. Shares a similar processor - a 32bit MIPS, compared to the PS/2's 64 bit MIPS (which was itself inspired by the N64 using a 64 bit MIPS).

Its just as easy a system to develop home brew software for, and guess what? It works on all versions, not only old Japanese and old US firmware.

Oh, and the DS gets 10-16 hours battery life. Not 4.

Last edited:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
MYOB said:
It has nothing to do with the GBA bar a Z80 emulator - the dual ARM's it has are of the 32 bit generation, and the GBA's single ARM was 26 bit, which means that even it has to be partially emulated.

Also, despite constant Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo games are not "for ten year olds". Sure, Mario, Kirby, etc may all be Nintendo, but thats not the -only- software for it.

If the PSP was a "portable PS2", there'd have been a -lot- more launch software for it. Its not. Shares a similar processor - a 32bit MIPS, compared to the PS/2's 64 bit MIPS (which was itself inspired by the N64 using a 64 bit MIPS).

Its just as easy a system to develop home brew software for, and guess what? It works on all versions, not only old Japanese and old US firmware.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: , shut up GEEK!!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
brightonfan_86 said:
There was a rumour month ago, the batteries where going to last about 4 hours, but Sony squashed that rumour.

I hope there's not a traffic jam on the way then, do you think they home team will re-charge your batteries for you

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
MYOB said:

Kryten? Is that you?

kryten_time.jpg

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
MYOB said:

Have you ever kissed a girl?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
brightonfan_86 said:
didn't you bloody read what i put, Sony squashed the rumour about the 4 hour battery life.

Quoted battery life is "3 to 6 Hours". DS quoted battery is "8 to 16 hours", and you do get 10 solid with the backlight on.

Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Have you ever kissed a girl?

Yes. Why? Need an explanation? :lolol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
brightonfan_86 said:
didn't you bloody read what i put, Sony squashed the rumour about the 4 hour battery life.

didn't you bloody read what i put, as well, tsk

So if 4 hours battery life gets squashed is it really 2 hours ???

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Shhhh, don't tell anyone but I smuggled one of these back from Japan. They're not officially out yet but you saw it here first.

mario1-gw.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Trufflehound said:
Does that play on a Mac or a PC?
PC, but you need Windows XP and a Pentium M processor running at a minimum of 1.60ghz, with 512k RAM and a Teflon XJX multi-compressed graphics card, DVDR burner and ideally a Sonar 4x4 dual-channel axel sound chip, and a Moulinex capacitor G-ROM distribution bus with beard-trimmer plugged into at least two USB ports (via a gold-plated SCART lead).

Quite funny watching people without a PSP arguing about battery life when someone with one (me) tells them what it actually is. :lolol:

MYOB - I know the DS is not a GBA but it looks the same, graphics wise. And the PSP is the equivalent of a PS2 - obviosuly not the same hardware. You are splitting hairs there a bit. If you like Mario, cutesy Japanese Manga stuff and are 10 - you will like the DS. If you want a powerful console that will play PS2 type games and can overlook the battery life and size, you will love the PSP. Especially with it's mp3/avi playing ability and homebrew stuff. Not too sure the movies will take off at £20 a pop but who knows.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Great Cornholio said:
you will love the PSP. Especially with it's mp3/avi playing ability and homebrew stuff.
f***ing HELL, you can do homebrew on it too ? Whats the lager like, cos I can't stop mine staying cloudy, and the sediment never fully dissipates.

Last edited:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Easy 10 said:
PC, but you need Windows XP and a Pentium M processor running at a minimum of 1.60ghz, with 512k RAM and a Teflon XJX multi-compressed graphics card, DVDR burner and ideally a Sonar 4x4 dual-channel axel sound chip, and a Moulinex capacitor G-ROM distribution bus with beard-trimmer plugged into at least two USB ports (via a gold-plated SCART lead).

You forgot the key for the clockwork wind-up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Perry Milkins said:
You forgot the key for the clockwork wind-up.
Tch, Perry. I clearly said to run it on Windows XP - the key for the clockwork wind-up is only required if you are using Windows 98 or older (in which case, its bearly worth the bother anyway).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here