Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would you do with these youths

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would get them to watch 12 homes games with a Wilkins BHAFC footballing side as a severe punishment

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
House arrest - chain them to the tv make them watch Big Brother until the very end without a break

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
In all seriousness, the whole idea of lashes is utterly revolting, especially for a crime against property as opposed to, say, murder or rape.

Why do you find it revolting ? If the yobs know what they're going to get if they get caught, i really can't see a problem in 20 lashes and then have salt rubbed in the wound.

Believe me....they wouldn't do it again and if they did, they're either masochists or need sectioning.

f***ing hit em hard.....dropping litter would incur 5 lashes, grafitti 10 lashes, vandalism against someone elses or public property 20 lashes...etc

Zero tolerance is the only way forward.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
Go round their houses, remove their i-pods, laptop, DVD player, PS3 and TV, then sell them all to pay back the victims.

I assure you that when people says these yobs do not 'understand the value of property', they understand the value of their own things alright.

I suggested this to the local bobby when he came round to see the latest damage to my property. The victim should be given X amount of the criminals property to do as they wish with (a. destroy in front of them b. sell to pay back the damage c. donate to childrens hospital etc).
He seemed to think it was a damn good idea!

Ps, the ariel on my car has been nicked while I've been away this week. WHYYYY? :shrug:

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
Somebody needed a coat hanger?

Sorry, shouldn't have said ariel (or coat hanger! lol!) it was the nice little football on top of Mr Coach's ariel - and the mickey mouse one, on top of my car's ariel too. What gets me is that they march down my drive and almost up to the front door to get these things! (My nice little garden statue from Past Times under the front window went in a similar way!).
Next door neighbour had ten little solar lights on posts taken from her front garden last week too. They had been there less than a fortnight. Father in law has had to drill and chain his large flower pots to the front wall!
Shame you cant have anything nice without padlocking it nowadays innit?

Cameron courts controversy
Analysis
By Nick Assinder
Political correspondent, BBC News website

Tony Blair had "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime".

Tory leader David Cameron seems to have come up with "Hug a hoodie, power to the police".
In a brace of speeches on law and order, Mr Cameron suggests hood wearing youngsters are often the product of their social and family backgrounds.

While anti-social youngsters should feel "painful" consequences of their actions, there is still a need to "show a lot more love".

And, in what is seen as an attempt to balance the message, he also insists the public want the police to be "crime fighters, not form fillers. A force as well as a service".

The comments are being interpreted as the latest attempt by Mr Cameron to re-position his party along more socially liberal lines by, according to his critics, again aping the early Tony Blair.

The central messages from the two leaders are indeed essentially the same. Tackling crime, violence and anti-social behaviour is all well and good, but it is only dealing with the symptoms, not the causes which continue to produce the behaviour.

Wash and go

Former leader Iain Duncan Smith, who set up the Centre for Social Justice where Mr Cameron is to make his remarks, explained: "What we are looking at are the root causes.

"We can't run away from the fact that the biggest single root cause is the massive levels - the highest in the Western world - of family breakdown and poor education for most of these kids".
Mr Cameron has certainly worried some in his party who supported former leader John Major's call to "condemn a little more and understand a little less".

It is also being pointed out that he is not yet announcing specific policies in this area. And that has led to ministers claiming he is simply seeking headlines with "wash and go" politics.

But these speeches are part of a strategy by Mr Cameron to appeal to a wider electorate.

He has dropped the last election campaign's dog whistle approach, which sent out coded messages on controversial areas that would only be heard by those looking for action in those areas.

Instead, he appears to have picked up the megaphone to broadcast his messages loud and clear.

Bill of Rights

They have included apparently minor, off-the-cuff remarks on the sexualisation of young children and shops that use special offers to encourage customers to buy chocolate.

More controversially, he has also suggested he might scrap the much-criticised Human Rights Act in favour of a new British Bill of Rights, and deny Scottish MPs votes on English-only legislation.
None of these have yet been translated into fully-formed policies. But each have appealed to specific groups or hit issues commanding the headlines.

His critics claim much of this is purely symbolic, that Mr Cameron wants to re-paint the Tories' popular image in a way that will take root in voters' minds but without committing himself to specific policies.

Inevitably, however, they have also brought opposition from some quarters - with former Tory Home Secretary Ken Clarke branding the Bill or Rights suggestion "xenophobic and legal nonsense", for example.

What policy does eventually flow from these announcements, and whether Mr Cameron can re-align the party without losing core Tory voters remains to be seen.

Nick.Assinder-INTERNET@bbc.co.uk

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/5164278.stm

Published: 2006/07/10 11:37:40 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was in court recently with a 15 year old offender who punched a passer-by in the face for no reason at all, leaving her with a fractured cheekbone.

The victim was left completely traumatised and nervous about even leaving the house, while the offender's excuse was that she couldn't remember anything about the attack due to her drunkenness at the time.

She got a referral order as punishment. Some consolation to the victim, eh?

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Too liberal

We are far too liberal in this country. Everyone stands around asking "why" people commit increasingly violent and antisocial crimes. No action is ever taken. Youths in perticular need boundaries enforced, and every citizen should be entitled to go about their lives free from fear of these unpunished acts.

Those obsessed with civil liberties should tell us why crime plummeted in New York when "zero tolerance" policing was introduced. It is the only answer - more police, tougher street policing, proper punishment. And you know the funny thing - not only will society be a better place, those who are currently out-of-control will benefit too.

We must demand that our government spend money and implement this - I would certainly rather pay for this with my taxes than questionable wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here