Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transfer Rumour - Wilmar Barrios

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You seem to be suggesting that the club are like a kid who accidentally spends all his pocket money on sweets then can't afford his copy of the Beano.

You seem to suggest our budget is endless, which is clearly incorrect, especially in the context of the pandemic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
That is not how it works. The club will allocate a budget for a striker and for a striker only. Similarly they will allocate budget for various other positions. It s a very simple concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They set a budget. They do not rigidly compartmentalise. Sorry.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You seem to suggest our budget is endless, which is clearly incorrect, especially in the context of the pandemic

I'm suggesting the club know how much they can spend and won't fritter it away willy-nilly only to find they can't afford what they really want. What's more, while the budget has limits, there is some flexibility.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
They set a budget. They do not rigidly compartmentalise. Sorry.

And how would you know that, oh right you don’t.

They prioritise signings and will allocate budget to each position. The budget based on the current market, availability of players in a particular position and demand for specific positions. That way you don’t get sucked into a bidding war. However if you got a defender under budget you can use that to back of another signing. What you don’t do is say ‘ we need a striker but that midfielder has a nice arse so we’ll chuck our striker budget on him’

It’s not monopoly, they actually put some thought to it ... a year you should.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
And how would you know that, oh right you don’t.

They prioritise signings and will allocate budget to each position. The budget based on the current market, availability of players in a particular position and demand for specific positions. That way you don’t get sucked into a bidding war. However if you got a defender under budget you can use that to back of another signing. What you don’t do is say ‘ we need a striker but that midfielder has a nice arse so we’ll chuck our striker budget on him’.

There was a piece on this a few years ago where the article looked at how players were purchased. The concept comes from American football where it is commonly used.

It’s not monopoly, they actually put some thought to it ...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is it yabba dabba doo time yet?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
FFS bw2 stop derailing every thread with the constant "we need a striker" mantra. Everyone knows we do, this thread is about a midfielder, so stop winding people up!

So moving on, how often have we signed someone just before the fans forum? That's this week isn't it?

Could be an interesting few days!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
FFS bw2 stop derailing every thread with the constant "we need a striker" mantra. Everyone knows we do, this thread is about a midfielder, so stop winding people up!

So moving on, how often have we signed someone just before the fans forum? That's this week isn't it?

That’s my theory too [emoji106]

Only it may be more complicated this season as the transfer deadline isn’t for another month.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I think he's a troll. Or gone mad. Either way, it's tragic.
[MENTION=1647]b.w.2.[/MENTION] sort yourself ayhert* son.

*I believe this is the full English pronunciation.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
how do you know so much more about recruiting pro footballers than the albion's recruitment team?

I have NEVER claimed this. It doesn’t stop me from justifiably criticising when they clearly are under-performing only in respect of our strike force

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

I thought this board was about opinions. Mine is that we don’t need a midfielder. We need a striker. I don’t want investing in the former to be at the expense of the latter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here