[Albion] Thomas Tuchel **Appointed England Manager 15/10/24**

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They don't like conflict so they sign Tuchel who got sacked by Dortmund, PSG and Chelsea because of conflicts with the management.

Good luck with that.

Anyway, means Nagelsmann will probably be in the PL next season.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Strange one, don’t get how Tuchel is an upgrade.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Tommy Tuchel in advanced talks to be the new England head coach.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
He'll be any clueless high profile football employers dream manager because he managed a team that won the CL a few years ago.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
We’ve tried everything. We’ve tried the top European guys like Eriksson, Cappello and failed. We’ve tried the English tracksuit guys and failed. We’ve tried the waistcoat guy and failed.

Much like Spurs, there’s something rotten to the core and no number of new regimes will change that. How many more Golden Generations will we go through and say “why didn’t it happen?”.

I still support England during tournaments, and always will, but personally I care more nowadays about how our PL2 and women’s sides do than who manages England.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
He's always reminded me of this little fella.

Attachments

• 13049.jpg
    13049.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 8

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
You don't have to be psychic to know that this will end in tears. He's has fallen out with the hierarchy nearly everywhere he's been.

Although in some ways I guess its very efficient of the FA. Rather than wait for the country to turn against him, they're appointing someone every football fan, other than Chelsea fans, already hate.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Desperate appointment if it happens. One British manager in the PL, two if you include McKenna, enough said.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We’ve tried everything. We’ve tried the top European guys like Eriksson, Cappello and failed. We’ve tried the English tracksuit guys and failed. We’ve tried the waistcoat guy and failed.

Much like Spurs, there’s something rotten to the core and no number of new regimes will change that. How many more Golden Generations will we go through and say “why didn’t it happen?”.

I still support England during tournaments, and always will, but personally I care more nowadays about how our PL2 and women’s sides do than who manages England.
It could be that something is rotten, across several generations of English football under a wide variety of coaches.

Or it could be, because there are always 8 to 10 other teams who go into a tournament with a chance of winning, random things happen in knockout games and tournaments are infrequent enough that you can't expect we'd win one on the basis of the law of averages.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It could be that something is rotten, across several generations of English football under a wide variety of coaches.

Or it could be, because there are always 8 to 10 other teams who go into a tournament with a chance of winning, random things happen in knockout games and tournaments are infrequent enough that you can't expect we'd win one on the basis of the law of averages.
I think it’s a mentality of failure. An expectation that it will go wrong because it has historically, a self-fulfilling prophecy. And I think teams like Germany have an expectation of success. Whether it’s that last gasp tackle, that winning penalty kick, so much of our inner nature and psychology defines the tiniest details of what we say and do.

If you’ve got two elite teams on a pitch, competently organised tactically, roughly equally physically fit, it comes down to will - or expectation - of succeeding.

See the Pygmalion or Expectancy Effect. There’s a psychologically recognised reason Manchester United can have a poor side and sneak so many last minute goals, or a star player can have a terrible game then score a worldie out of nowhere to rescue his side.

England are talented losers. A losing mentality in the big moments can be near to impossible to shake.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Desperate appointment if it happens. One British manager in the PL, two if you include McKenna, enough said.
There are actually five British managers in the PL (Smug Eddie, Dyche, Martin, Cooper and McKenna - although only three English ones). Plenty of choice

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
There are actually five British managers in the PL (Smug Eddie, Dyche, Martin, Cooper and McKenna - although only three English ones). Plenty of choice
O'Neill??

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think it’s a mentality of failure. An expectation that it will go wrong because it has historically, a self-fulfilling prophecy. And I think teams like Germany have an expectation of success. Whether it’s that last gasp tackle, that winning penalty kick, so much of our inner nature and psychology defines the tiniest details of what we say and do.

If you’ve got two elite teams on a pitch, competently organised tactically, roughly equally physically fit, it comes down to will - or expectation - of succeeding.

See the Pygmalion or Expectancy Effect. There’s a psychologically recognised reason Manchester United can have a poor side and sneak so many last minute goals, or a star player can have a terrible game then score a worldie out of nowhere to rescue his side.

England are talented losers. A losing mentality in the big moments can be near to impossible to shake.
You could be right. But multiple generations of players and coaches would all have had to have had this mentality.

And remember we're talking about players who have had massive success in English football, which has always been a highly competitive domestic league. And these England teams were led by players who have been victorious in European football. Robson, Adams, Gerrard, Cole, Walker. There's no shortage of obvious winning mentality players in the last 50 years

I don't really buy they just put on and England shirt and lost their winning mentality.

It's much more likely to me that on a relative handful of occasions they came out on the wrong side of some fine margins against teams who also have proven winners and proven quality players on their side (Other times, we've stuffed it up, as has every other top tier nation). I think the, "we're mentally weak" argument discredits the other nations, and their players and achievements and discounts the massive dollop of luck you need to do well in knockout football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here