Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
One should think hard before accepting a job where the boss pays the absolute minimum they can legally get away with.

You already know what that boss thinks of you.
I agree with you when looking for new employees. However there are some instances where wages were normally higher than minimum and where for whatever reason the business is not in a position to always maintain that. Hopefully it would only be a temporary situation and as profits improved wages to reinstate the difference, plus maybe if funds allow it a slight increase over and above, even if it’s something like a percent from where they once were, but to show appreciation.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
The number of private sector businesses in the UK at the start of 2023 was 5.6 million https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...r-the-uk-and-regions-2023-statistical-release

5.51 million businesses were small (0 to 49 employees)​
36,900 businesses were medium-sized (50 to 249 employees)​
8,000 businesses were large (250 or more employees)​

SMEs employ 61% of the workforce (non-state employees), some become large employers. You'd think this gowth we hear about would have to start with them. The conservatives did have a plan to encourage investment, an extra £5K UK ISA. Let's hope there are some plans to keep the largest exployment group secure. It does seem that only the large, usually multinational, businesses get the governments ear (whatever flavour).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not going to waste my time trying to find the Tory manifesto and search through it for "working people" to see what they said they were or weren't going to do for them. Because, even if I did that, as the Tories are now sitting on the sidelines, we have no way of validating whether they would have kept their word or not. It's an exercise of futility.

In contrast, we know the Labour Party promised no increased taxation on working people and, on Wednesday, we will be able to see if they are going to keep to that promise.

Edit: Just to be clear, I have no interest in arguing the toss on who is and isn't a working person.
Even if they don’t, everyone on this thread will claim they have.

albionalba

Football with optimism
NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2023
sadly in Scotland
One thing that worried me the first time he used the phrase (14/10 investment summit) and again today was the continuing reference to unlocking access to assets for overseas investors that are 'deep in the bones of this nation'. Both times he has also implied that any regulation that impedes the selling of such assets deep in the bones of the nation will be overturned. Now I guess you have to allow for him using a bit of rhetoric to say the UK is open for business under a Labour gov, but this sounds worryingly emphatic. Obviously football is deep in the bones of the nation as are things like the BBC (charter renewal incoming btw) so whether intended or not I think that level of sell-off commitment will make it hard to protect things the nation (hopefully) holds dear. The threats to UK football and media sovereignty (to name a couple) will abound and whereas I had hoped for some protection under Labour I am less sure now. Books like Vassal State have shown how little we have left to sell off in this country. My only hope is that it is just speech-writers paranoid about showing Labour as a party for business and doesn't reflect strategy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

This is one of the calmest , most reasoned political debates on NSC we have had for a while.

I think your are being a tad harsh.

A lot of people simply aren’t convinced by Labour’s efforts so far.

I for one am willing to see give they do.

Wednesday is their first real test .

I am not expecting many large waves to be made in any area by Labour on this budget.

I don’t think many people have much to worry about .

Next year’s will be the big one.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think folk will see what has been forced upon us and make up their own minds.
By 'forced upon us' I assume you mean 'decided by a democratically elected government with a large majority'?

You lost. Get over it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Now where have I heard that before?
1730119053449.png

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Fears of a rise in capital gains tax have prompted entrepreneurs to call time on their ventures. The number of voluntary liquidations of businesses rose above 1,600 in October, according to the UK’s official public record The Gazette. This is more than double the number recorded over the same period last year.

Around 9,500 high-net-worth Britons are heading for the exit gates, with the European Union expected to gain 6,000 British millionaires by the end of the year, according to research carried out by consultancy Henley & Partners.

Stuart Wakeling, head of Henley & Partners’ UK office, said: “[We have seen a] 160pc increase in applications by UK-based investors for residence and citizenship by investment programmes over the six months to September 2024 compared to the previous six months.”

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fears of a rise in capital gains tax have prompted entrepreneurs to call time on their ventures. The number of voluntary liquidations of businesses rose above 1,600 in October, according to the UK’s official public record The Gazette. This is more than double the number recorded over the same period last year.

Around 9,500 high-net-worth Britons are heading for the exit gates, with the European Union expected to gain 6,000 British millionaires by the end of the year, according to research carried out by consultancy Henley & Partners.

Stuart Wakeling, head of Henley & Partners’ UK office, said: “[We have seen a] 160pc increase in applications by UK-based investors for residence and citizenship by investment programmes over the six months to September 2024 compared to the previous six months.”
The fear mongering that all the millionaires are going to leave in full flow in the Telegraph this week. Best get those shell company tax avoiding structures wound down fast. Perhaps the ones that sold us all the useless PPE from the Tory donor awarded contracts will be included before we can reclaim the money back?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Yes and no.

Yes: people on the right of the spectrum will claim it regardless.
No: people on the left of the spectrum will deny it regardless.

There's gojng to be a lot of arguing about semantics.

For example, would a rise in fuel duty represent an increase in taxation on working people? I'd suggest it would.

Is the expected rise in employer NI an increase in taxation on working people? I don't think so, no, although the subsequent impact will unquestionably influence both pay and recruiting decisions that companies make.

Would an increase on corporation tax represent an increase in taxation on working people? I'd suggest not, even though as the owner of a one-man-band limited company, it would impact me.

I can see some small business owners disagreeing with me on the latter two points however.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Yep, they had the working class Tory Wellend that runs Pimlico Plumbers on Radio 4 this morning proudly stating that he'd already moved to Spain and Dubai. "Good" I thought. "That'll give other small plumbing businesses in London a chance to go for the market share they've left behind".

Only, it turns out, from a quick check of their website, they are still available 24/7/365 to fix your loo and shower. So what he meant was "I'll keep my lucrative business but I have no intention of paying my fair share towards the NHS".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here