Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Listening to Labour Minister for schools, Catherine McKinnel, flounder on Any Questions.

Struggling further with the question “What’s a working person”

Was asked “what is your definition of a working person”?

Didn’t answer the question, usual bollocks;

“you can’t tempt me into revealing the budget before time, it’s a process we have to respect”.

All true but nothing to do with the question posed to her.

Within 3 sentences she had swerved the question and started talking about some summit in London but she slipped her words and said Sunderland instead of London and then when corrected she fumbled a recovery by saying that the London summit had been good for Sunderland.

Absolute waffle and hogwash.

We’ve heard various definitions this week of what isn’t a working person;

Anyone who can afford to fix a problem in their life.

Someone on 6 figures

Landlords

Anyone who owns shares.

They shot themselves on the foot with that phrase and being unable to clarify what they mean.

What I suspect is that the wobbly phrase “working people” is going to be so weakly defined that Labour will cheerily get away with taxing the middle bracket to within an inch of our pensions.

They have brazenly taken away a payment from some of the poorest in our society. Don’t think they won’t come after your quality of life.

Brace for impact.

Last edited:

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Listening to Labour Minister for schools, Catherine McKinnel, flounder on Any Questions.

Struggling further with the question “What’s a working person”

We’ve heard various definitions this week of what isn’t a working person;

Anyone who can afford to fix a problem in their life.

Someone on 6 figures

Landlords

Anyone who owns shares.

They shot themselves on the foot with that phrase and being unable to clarify what they mean.

What I suspect is that the wobbly phrase “working people” is going to be so weakly defined that Labour will cheerily get away with taxing the middle bracket to within an inch of our pensions.

They have brazenly taken away a payment from some of the poorest in our society. Don’t think they won’t come after your quality of life.

Brace for impact.
They'd needa lot of help to define a disabled female worker then, imagine the confusion

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They'd needa lot of help to define a disabled female worker then, imagine the confusion
Ha!

Well the problem as I see it is that they keep failing to really explain what they mean.

We all know the clamp down on winter fuel payments is actullay sensible idea to means test a benefit that is being paid to wealthy people as well as poor people.

But Labour was so bad at explaining this and allowed themselves to be railroaded by right wing journalists that people simply thought they are attacking poor pensioners.

Now they are failing to explain what they mean by the phrase “working person”

They may have good intentions. They may do good things but their failure to explain themselves properly is making people uneasy.

Yes, there is an argument for just letting them get the work done rather than spend all their time explaining speculation or bad slogans.

But perception counts and there is a valid argument for claiming the perception of the Labour government is that it is dishonest and incompetent. When I don’t necessarily think they are those things.

For now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the tragedy of the "worker" issue is that politicans wrap themselves in knots trying to avoid offence. it's so easy to define: someone who gets there income from their time at work. yep, that means pensioners, landlords, and investors aren't in the group. having floated the term, and it becomeing an issue, why hasn't Labour HQ just told everyone the approved line, couple of counterpoints to obvious interview questions and move on. for some reasons our politicans have forgotten how to do politics. we know they'll hammer savings and captial gains because they've been saying they'll go after unearn income them for 10 years, why does anyone think they'll not?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ha!

Well the problem as I see it is that they keep failing to really explain what they mean.

We all know the clamp down on winter fuel payments is actullay sensible idea to means test a benefit that is being paid to wealthy people as well as poor people.

But Labour was so bad at explaining this and allowed themselves to be railroaded by right wing journalists that people simply thought they are attacking poor pensioners.

Now they are failing to explain what they mean by the phrase “working person”

They may have good intentions. They may do good things but their failure to explain themselves properly is making people uneasy.

Yes, there is an argument for just letting them get the work done rather than spend all their time explaining speculation or bad slogans.

But perception counts and there is a valid argument for claiming the perception of the Labour government is that it is dishonest and incompetent. When I don’t necessarily think they are those things.

For now.

It's really very simple and we both know the answer. You're a working person, I'm not. You won't get taxed more, I will.

Unless of course you want me to come up with a long detailed explanation of various parameters and definitions, so that you can then use that to find a case that you can fire back at me in a 'Gotcha' moment, in which case you can f*** right off :laugh:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
the tragedy of the "worker" issue is that politicans wrap themselves in knots trying to avoid offence. it's so easy to define: someone who gets there income from their time at work. yep, that means pensioners, landlords, and investors aren't in the group. having floated the term, and it becomeing an issue, why hasn't Labour HQ just told everyone the approved line, couple of counterpoints to obvious interview questions and move on. for some reasons our politicans have forgotten how to do politics. we know they'll hammer savings and captial gains because they've been saying they'll go after unearn income them for 10 years, why does anyone think they'll not?

Votes.

Don’t want to offend 3.6m who receive dividends, 12m OAP’s. This includes a mindset where occupational pensions are thought of as superannuation (people say they received lower pay when working, the part fruits of that labour paid in retirement).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They have. The media haven't. They are desperate to get a narrow definition - so that they can then go out and find someone who's taxes have risen who could be shoehorned into this definition and tout it as breaking their manifesto promises.

We all know what they mean as @WATFORD zero says just above.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree with you in a sense, in reality that is how most of us behave. But it isn't a good practice as the boundary is subjective and it's interpretation leaves it open to abuse. Would we apply this thinking in domestic violence or child abuse? You and I might have very different ideas about what constitutes a twit - I doubt this is the case. It's also bad law if it acceptable to break it to some degree and the state sanctions it.
The boundary is zero; official line is that any abuse will be clamped down on. The reality is somewhat different though and the black economy is entered/interpreted at your own risk. The only marker I have is a restaurant I know had been fiddling their books for a while, and fiddling software to do it, and was hit with huge backdated bill. So big the owner had to sell up. Everyone else I know it’s just a bit of cash in hand wage top ups….you’ll notice a lot of cafes and bars card machines don’t work at the end of the month!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here