Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The AMEX - does it grate having to say it??!!!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
In this day and age where many of us may rail against all things corporate how do you now feel about the naming of the stadium and YOU, personally, as a fan calling it The Amex?!

Just sent someone an email and 'The Amex' just rolled of my tongue (or fingertips!!) and I realise I now have no major problem with it!!

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
I swore blind it would be 'Falmer' but the Amex has come through now strongly.
Falmer is now reverting back to a small village in east Sussex with a duck pond - but of course I`ll never forget.

Always refered to it as Falmer, then we started playing there and it's just become The Amex, and the A is pronounced as in Ham not Hay.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Never given a toss.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Doesn't bother me at all.

Compared to what some other clubs have ended up with, I think "The Amex" sounds pretty good.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Don't tell anyone, but I don't think about "American Express" as a company/business/sponsor when I say "Amex" - I just think pie, pint, football, queue.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Falmer is now reverting back to a small village in east Sussex with a duck pond - but of course I`ll never forget.

Like yourself, I always said it would be Falmer.

But now The Amex somehow seems kind of natural, and to be fair, thanks to American Express for the cash.

See you later for a :drink: or two.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
I agree its quite natural now, people just get used to it, like our visitors and their Sports Direct @ St James' Park stadium.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Same for me,i find my self calling it the Amex too,after swearing blind i'd keep it Falmer.

Funny thing is if/when we do get a name change in the future it might be harder to adapt to that new name,however it's a new stadium and as long as the name does not change too often fair enough,i mean it's not like an older stadium like St James Park with all it's history having a suggested name change,just to please current financial backing,which in my eyes is totally wrong.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
I like it. Amex keep lots of people in work in this town, is a World Brand, and will dig deeper if the team takes off.
It's a good start to competing in the top level of the high-finance world that footie has become

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In this day and age where many of us may rail against all things corporate how do you now feel about the naming of the stadium and YOU, personally, as a fan calling it The Amex?!

Just sent someone an email and 'The Amex' just rolled of my tongue (or fingertips!!) and I realise I now have no major problem with it!!

My son used to work for American Express. He told me that they don't like being referred to as Amex.

'The Amex' it is then :thumbsup:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I like it. Amex keep lots of people in work in this town, is a World Brand, and will dig deeper if the team takes off.
It's a good start to competing in the top level of the high-finance world that footie has become

This. When we get to the Premiership I'm sure they will sponsor the shirts with all that extra TV exposure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here