Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 122 37.4%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 184 56.4%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 18 5.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unless the Harris team pulls something out the bag, he looks like he IS going to win. It’s been a slow shift, but momentum definitely seems to have turned back in his favour since his disastrous debate.

Greatest country in the world my arse.
Agreed - it's got a horrible feeling of inevitability about it right now.

After the debate, I felt very optimistic about Harris, but it feels like it's just gradually slipping away.

Each morning, I enjoy watching Kimmel, Colbert, Myers and Stewart take Trump's latest shambolic performance to pieces - it feels inconceivable that Trump could win but, right now, it very much looks like he will. Which is terrifying given what is going on in other parts of the world.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Jesus, what on earth have you been watching/reading/listening to?!

That's madness and entirely divorced from the reality of her campaigning.
Yeah, the noises I'm hearing are that enthusiasm is far, far higher than it was for the Biden campaign - as indicated by much higher early voting numbers.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This is true, but also bear in mind that during the last Trump administration we were all living through the pandemic and it's impact, the May and Johnson governments, the Brexit withdrawal farce... Everything was going down the toilet during that point, particularly in the UK.
That's an excellent point. That last few years of the 2010s and the first couple of the 2020s were utterly exhausting for so many reasons.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The problem we have is we're relying on the sense and intelligence of the Americans.

We are, therefore, completely f***ed.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
She's had a catastrophic run since the debate (where she did well), all she's done since then is cuddle up George Bush era ghouls who everyone hates except maybe a hardcore of Trumpists who'll never vote for her. Meanwhile she's cratering the enthusiasm of her base by saying loudly she loves war crimes of yesteryear as well as nowadays. An object lesson in Hillary-style 2016 incompetence
‘Catastrophic’?

In July Biden was heading for ‘catastrophic’ and the lowest approval rate of his Presidency- after first debate amongst Democrats. 67% of voters wanted him to drop out of the race - Trump was leading Biden in the polls of likely voters by an average of 6% - a three-point swing for Trump since the first debate, and his largest lead in the survey since 2015.

After Harris took over, she closed the gap and steadily increased her support until it plateaued in the face of Trump taking over the issues on the economy and immigration and creating a false narrative that’s suckered in both swing Democrat and Republican supporters.

That they are even neck and neck now is an achievement for the Dems after the Biden candidacy but admittedly worrying for Harris.

What Harris needs to do is align herself with the Biden/Harris administration -and set the electorate straight. She needs to show Trump up for the lies he is peddling about the Dems record on immigration and the economy since under Biden’s Presidency and her Vice Presidency they have performed better than the past Trump Presidency in both areas. The Dems are advocating an economic plan that is far more realistic than Trump’s proposals ( see my post above) and would leave Americans better off than they would be under a Trump second term.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oh do behave. If that's "nuts and desperate" then what is Trump's cowardly cancelling pretty much all his scheduled interviews?

They are afraid to have him talk.
I would've said the exact opposite re: Harris going on Fox - to me that's a huge sign of confidence and conviction, to be willing to go into the lion's den, so to speak.

Meanwhile Trump is the one cancelling interviews, refusing to reveal medical records, refusing to do 60 Minutes which every single Presidential candidate does, and then whatever THAT was last night.

Not exactly a sign of strength and confidence from the Trump campaign, is it?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
When turnout was very high and resulted in a Biden win in Georgia, first day early voting;

2020 for Biden - 131,000 - bear in mind this was unusually high.

2024 for Harris - 252,000 at last count.

Bodes very well for Georgia.
Comparing to 2020 is kind of difficult because of the pandemic. Many voted by mail because of that whole deadly virus thing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Arguably, you can leave policy right out of it and boil it down to "Is the USA ready to be led by a woman?" with the supplementary question "If so, is the USA ready to be led by a black woman?"

Make no mistake - the central question is all about whether the voters of the most powerful nation in the world are comfortable being led by a woman. Everything else - Trump's alleged crimes, his madness and ranting, abortion, war, tariffs, immigration - is all secondary.

Now that sounds a bit sexist and crazy when you consider the UK, many of the Commonwealth countries, the vast majority of Western and Eastern Europe nations have elected leaders who have been women.

However, the USA, Russia and China are conspicuous by their absence and there is a reason for this. Russian is rightly regarded as a mafia state, and I think with the USA's gun problem and inherent racism and sexism they are a cowboy state where men still call the shots - the fact there are anti-abortion states proves this.

This is a huge election for women's rights, and arguably it would be the biggest thing ever for sexual equality if Harris gets elected.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
When turnout was very high and resulted in a Biden win in Georgia, first day early voting;

2020 for Biden - 131,000 - bear in mind this was unusually high.

2024 for Harris - 252,000 at last count.

Bodes very well for Georgia.
And the very highest demographic age group of those voters is 18-24, many of whom will be first time voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Comparing to 2020 is kind of difficult because of the pandemic. Many voted by mail because of that whole deadly virus thing.
But 2020 was the highest early voting ever, so to see a number far higher than that seems like it would bode well...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here