Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] spurs april 1978 *roll call*

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I was there, in the North stand. I almost always used to be on the East terrace and cannot remember why I went in the North that day.
I vividly remember the crush from behind pushing us down to the front. I was very worried that I would be crushed up against one of the metal leaning rails ( what did we use to call those...? ) since the pressure was so intense. But I managed to duck under it.
Strangely, I can remember being right down at the front of the stand but cannot remember whether I went onto the pitch or not. I suppose that must mean that I didn't go on the pitch...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was in the east with my dad
Me too. Well, up in the East. Can't recall if the old man was with me. I recall there being lots of potato in the North Stand, and lots of 'Sea Weed' mock chanting.

Looking back now it reminds me of the Kevin and Perry sketch the morning after the house party when 'bigger boys' came..

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was there but for some reason two other games stand out more than this one.
Man Utd when they played a season in Div 2 & West Ham around the same time. As a small club we were not used to huge away followings and these three bought with them a massive fan base and lots of trouble.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Definitely wouldn’t have been there as I didn’t manage to find someone to take me until 1980 but would have been one of the days that made me fascinated with football. We lived in Poets Corner before it was posh and you’d get loads of people parking in the road. Big groups of men walking to The Eclipse all smoking. And from the little back yard where I’d thump the ball against a fence you could hear the crowd. I always knew when Albion had scored at home.

I had no idea people were lumping the shit out of each other, I just found the forbidden sounds and smells enticing.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was there but for some reason two other games stand out more than this one.
Man Utd when they played a season in Div 2 & West Ham around the same time. As a small club we were not used to huge away followings and these three bought with them a massive fan base and lots of trouble.
We didn’t play Man United when they spent a season in the old division 2, 74/75 the Albion were in division 3.
Definitely remember West Ham causing trouble in the North Stand in 1978

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We didn’t play Man United when they spent a season in the old division 2, 74/75 the Albion were in division 3.
Definitely remember West Ham causing trouble in the North Stand in 1978
How strange. That must have been 1979/80 then. Memory must be going. Still remember they had a huge following. The days when the home fans were kept back to clear the away fans.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Didn’t go, my Brother in Law used to take me (I didn’t start going with mates till the following season)
However, he didn’t offer for this one as I think him and his mates wanted to erm…well, you know how the day unfolded 🤣

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Almost sure I was there but very little recollection of the game. Wasn’t there a pitch invasion? I have always associated Spurs pitch invasion with the fences going up but can’t really remember. The Millwall pitch invasion stands out more because of the balaclavas but I think that was before Spurs.
Was that the game where some smart alec decided it would be ok to fill the west half of the North stand with Millwall?. 2-0 down and came back to win 3-2 , remember thinking Oooohhhh Shhhit :oops:

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
Following the shenanigans in the Park Lane End at their place earlier in the season I chose a South Stand ticket. My dad had a ticket for the East but couldn’t go. I took his ticket with me to see if I could sell it on.
It dawned on me I was more likely to get robbed with a free beating if I tried to sell it on the street.
I went to the ticket office to see if I could unload it back to the club for them to sell.
Ron Pavey was clucking around telling the Herberts outside there were no more tickets.
He told me the club couldn’t buy the ticket back then announced in a loud voice that I had a spare.
Surrounded I managed to sell it on for double its price,£2 I think.
Apologies to all if this gent misbehaved.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m always amazed at how many there were on the West stand tea hut roof during that particular rear guard action.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here