Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Someone explain to me why the Olympic Flame is in the Republic of Ireland?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It only ever seems "not to matter" when its something that we , the British find questionable , it always seems to "matter" very much when its Irish sovereignty or sensibilities that are ruffled , the fact is , the torch is supposed to be on its final tour around the HOST country , which the Republic of Ireland, isnt.
But it really doesn't matter. Look at it another way, the Republic of Ireland is arguably the least independent country in the world. They are the only nation that you don't need a passport to get to, they are the only nation whose citizens are automatically entitled to a UK passport should they want one (if born before 1949), and when it comes to sport in particular, they are massively within our sphere of influence. When the Irish rugby team play in Belfast, GstQ is still played despite it being an irrelevance to 75% of the home players. Gaelic sport allowed football and rugby into Croke Park (including the England team) after banning it for years.

So I would agree that whilst it's a bit abnormal to have the republic involved in this torch relay, if you strip away the historical politics and recent barely healed wounds, no-one would actually notice.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Look at it another way, the Republic of Ireland is arguably the least independent country in the world. they are the only nation whose citizens are automatically etitled to a UK passport should they want one,.

Not so (not automatically, and not for all).

There are age limits - if your parents were born in the ROI before 1950 (?), or your grandparents before 1920 (?) then you qualify to APPLY. Obviously these criteria would cover a significant, but constantly decreasing proportion of Irish people.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It only ever seems "not to matter" when its something that we , the British find questionable , it always seems to "matter" very much when its Irish sovereignty or sensibilities that are ruffled , the fact is , the torch is supposed to be on its final tour around the HOST country , which the Republic of Ireland, isnt.
Yes, but a bit of fire being held by some doublegoon out of xfactor does not matter. At all. This proves why people shouldn't care about it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not so (not automatically, and not for all).

There are age limits - if your parents were born in the ROI before 1950 (?), or your grandparents before 1920 (?) then you qualify to APPLY. Obviously these criteria would cover a significant, but constantly decreasing proportion of Irish people.
Indeed. I did amend my post a couple of mins later.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because there is so, so much that "makes a difference" to them, you may not care about being seen as a load of saps who can be walked over when it suits people, I do.
You should listen to yourself. How does allowing the Olympic torch to spend ONE day in the republic equate to being a sap who can be walked over?

What is more likely is the sponsors asked if Jedward could take it to Ireland, and LOCOG just said "I can't see it would do any harm". And if they did, they were right.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Because there is so, so much that "makes a difference" to them, you may not care about being seen as a load of saps who can be walked over when it suits people, I do.

Wow. What a massive drama queen you must be.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You should listen to yourself. How does allowing the Olympic torch to spend ONE day in the republic equate to being a sap who can be walked over?What is more likely is the sponsors asked if Jedward could take it to Ireland, and LOCOG just said "I can't see it would do any harm". And if they did, they were right.
Because they are always at great pains to emphasise that they are seperate and a sovereign nation, they whined like f*** when england dared to play football at croke park, over something that happened 90 years ago , yet we are expected to fete a murdering pair of scumbags like adams and mcguiness as statesmen, sure we have to move on , but it seems to me that its always us who have to move on and forgive blah blah blah, as i've already said to hkfc , we disagree, whatever , not a lot of point in carrying on the argument.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The idea of the Olympics is to bring people together from all walks of life to celebrate an event hopefully in good spirits. I guess the British Olympic committee thought it would be a nice touch to include Ireland as part of that celebration.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The idea of the Olympics is to bring people together from all walks of life to celebrate an event hopefully in good spirits. I guess the British Olympic committee thought it would be a nice touch to include Ireland as part of that celebration.

That would be my take on it. Anyone getting uptight about such a simple gesture, must get really, really ANGRY at the actual important issues in the news every day.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Because they are always at great pains to emphasise that they are seperate and a sovereign nation, they whined like f*** when england dared to play football at croke park, over something that happened 90 years ago , yet we are expected to fete a murdering pair of scumbags like adams and mcguiness as statesmen, sure we have to move on , but it seems to me that its always us who have to move on and forgive blah blah blah, as i've already said to hkfc , we disagree, whatever , not a lot of point in carrying on the argument.

Two points:

1. It was rugby, not football, and I think you'll find GSTQ got a fantastic reception from the Irish fans on the day.

2. Without wanting to get into (another) debate about the likes of Adams and McGuinness, I think you are making a huge jump from them to the public (or indeed government) of the Republic of Ireland.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Eh? Firstly, England didn't play football at Croke Park. Secondly, Adams and McGuinness are synonymous with Northern Ireland and the struggle for a United Ireland. They were nothing to do with the Republic before the peace settlement, and didn't even recognise it's government until then. Even now, they are of little relevance in the South, despite Sinn Fein now putting up candidates down there. Your bitterness is about ten years out of date.

I know it is, i've been there . I was responding to your point about people who get angry, as you well knew.
And as you well know, this has nothing to do with the point that he is making, that you get all bitter and angry over f*** all when it comes to Ireland.

What's he supposed to do? Every single time he makes a point about angry little Englanders, that he should qualify it with words like "but there are people just as bad amongst Nationalists". Because we DO actually KNOW that already.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Its a foreign country, which they are always at great pains to stress.

This! I would have thought it was more relevant to show it in France. At least they were on our side in the two world wars! (ducks in anticipation of replies)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
ahhhh the Olympic spirit!!!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Eh? Firstly, England didn't play football at Croke Park. Secondly, Adams and McGuinness are synonymous with Northern Ireland and the struggle for a United Ireland. They were nothing to do with the Republic before the peace settlement, and didn't even recognise it's government until then. Even now, they are of little relevance in the South, despite Sinn Fein now putting up candidates down there. Your bitterness is about ten years out of date.

And as you well know, this has nothing to do with the point that he is making, that you get all bitter and angry over f*** all when it comes to Ireland.

What's he supposed to do? Every single time he makes a point about angry little Englanders, that he should qualify it with words like "but there are people just as bad amongst Nationalists". Because we DO actually KNOW that already.

England did play Rugby FOOTBALL there. Now, where's me coat?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here