Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Someone explain to me why the Olympic Flame is in the Republic of Ireland?

Feb 14, 2010
Maybe to try and help the British image in a country split in two? I couldn't give a monkeys about sports like the hop skip & jump and so have no interest in the torch being in England or Ireland. Only thing worth a candle is the 100m for the fastest man on earth title. The rest are just a collection of minority sports that nobody cares about. Nobody gives those sports the time of day except when the event that is the Olympics is on and that says it all.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
At seagullsovergrimsby

:raspberry:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I can't honestly say it bothers me one bit that the torch relay has spent a day in Ireland (it's probably a rather nice gesture in truth), however I struggle to believe that they couldn't have found one single Irish man, woman or child that would have had a better claim to running with it than that pair of HATSTANDS.

They still got nearly four times the points of Tom in Eurovision. They are so Irish. The torch didn't need to go to Ireland so the Irish could see it, as popular myth has it that there are more Irish men living here, than the Emerald Isle itself.
Maybe Dave and Seb have colonial ambitions.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
i can think of a couple of bars in Belfast that i would pay you good money to go into and say that out loud :lol:..............purely for entertainment purposes only you understand.

Wow really? Is it full of IRA terrorists then? Maybe you could also think of some loyalist pubs where I would be made very welcome? We could all sing "no Surrender" together!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
23 posts before someone mentioned the IRA. New record? I thought it'd be in the first few.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They may have killed our servicemen and blown up our innocent civilians at will,but we really shouldn`t mention it.It`s just not cricket.(the IRA, not Jedward)

Depending on how far back you choose to go, the same would apply to the Germans, the French, Libyans, Americans, Iranians, Iraqis, Afghans, Spanish, Italians, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, Danes, Pakistanis and Argentines, to name but a few.

Depending on how far back you choose to go, the same would apply to the Germans, the French, Libyans, Americans, Iranians, Iraqis, Afghans, Spanish, Italians, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, Danes, Pakistanis and Argentines, to name but a few.

Blimey,you`re worse than me.Is there anyone you do like? Joking aside,the offending post mentioned `pubs in Belfast`, so the `Opium Wars` or `The hundred years war` didn`t spring to mind.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
got to happen otherwise we don't get our 7 billion back

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Wasn't it in Britain a few weeks before the Beijing Olympics?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Because it doesn't matter.
It only ever seems "not to matter" when its something that we , the British find questionable , it always seems to "matter" very much when its Irish sovereignty or sensibilities that are ruffled , the fact is , the torch is supposed to be on its final tour around the HOST country , which the Republic of Ireland, isnt.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It only ever seems "not to matter" when its something that we , the British find questionable , it always seems to "matter" very much when its Irish sovereignty or sensibilities that are ruffled , the fact is , the torch is supposed to be on its final tour around the HOST country , which the Republic of Ireland, isnt.

Its a foreign country, which they are always at great pains to stress.

Why do you CARE though? What difference does it make to ANYTHING?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The torch taken to the Sydney Olympics went all through Oceania before it hit Australia. Went through the Cook Islands, Tonga, New Zealand etc.

It's route

Olympia - Athens (Greece) (by airplane) Guam - Palau - Federated States of Micronesia - Nauru - Solomon Islands -Papua New Guinea - Vanuatu - Samoa - American Samoa - Cook Islands - Tonga - Queenstown - Christchurch - Wellington - Rotorua - Auckland (New Zealand) - Uluru - Brisbane - Darwin - Perth - Adelaide - Melbourne - Canberra - Sydney (Australia)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here