Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Someone explain to me why the Olympic Flame is in the Republic of Ireland?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Olympic Flame in Ireland?

Why? Not part of UK, taking no part in staging the Olympics, certainly not paying towards the cost of hosting the games (or anything at all at the moment).

Just why?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
And is being carried by Jedward! Jeez!!!!!

absolute sh!te!

In case they haven't noticed it, the RoI decided to become independent nearly a century ago.
I wanted to run with the flame and consider myself to have more of a claim to do so than those two oiks.

More of Seb Coe's nonsense methinks?

Angry , Glasgow!

TNBA

TTF

ps I would be really angry but have to laugh at those silly Tigers appointing Steve Bruce. It's like Gordon Brown being invited back to mis run the country.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nobody moans when the Tour de France has stages held in Spain , Holland , Belgium and England :lol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Did you watch the tv show with it on? They explained it quite succinctly.*

*not the jedward bit though

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Because the Government want it to go to all the areas of our great nation. That includes the tin-pot bit that will be begging us to have it back under British rule sooner or later.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And is being carried by Jedward! Jeez!!!!!

absolute sh!te!

In case they haven't noticed it, the RoI decided to become independent nearly a century ago.
I wanted to run with the flame and consider myself to have more of a claim to do so than those two oiks.

More of Seb Coe's nonsense methinks?

Angry , Glasgow!

TNBA

TTF

ps I would be really angry but have to laugh at those silly Tigers appointing Steve Bruce. It's like Gordon Brown being invited back to mis run the country.

Quite bizarre. That it's in Ireland I mean.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Because the Government want it to go to all the areas of our great nation. That includes the tin-pot bit that will be begging us to have it back under British rule sooner or later.

i can think of a couple of bars in Belfast that i would pay you good money to go into and say that out loud :lol:..............purely for entertainment purposes only you understand.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't honestly say it bothers me one bit that the torch relay has spent a day in Ireland (it's probably a rather nice gesture in truth), however I struggle to believe that they couldn't have found one single Irish man, woman or child that would have had a better claim to running with it than that pair of HATSTANDS.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I'm half paddy and it fills me with immense pride that the torch is being carried in the two countries that I love. I have tears of joy flowing down my rosy English/Irish cheeks as I type this.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can only guess it's some sort of symbolic gesture, a sort of recognition of our considerable shared history? (and the fact that the Olympics are as likely to be held in Ireland as the Cricket World Cup)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here