Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we have a new national anthem?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"I Vow To Thee My Country" doesn't seem to have been mentioned.

Incidently one verse of "God Save The King/Queen" has the lines:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

That was just an anti-jacobite made up verse, it's was never officially part of the anthem.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
While Jerusalem is on the face of it clearly a religious song, William Blake's poem is more a critique of the industrial revolution and the lost or sort beauty of England.

Is it though? The industrial revolution had barely started when Blake wrote Jerusalem (in 1804) and there are several other theories. One is that dark satanic mills refers to Oxbridge while another theory thinks it means the Church of England - Blake had low opinions of both institutions.

Cracking song though - I'm an atheist and would be happy for it to be our national anthem.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
God Save the Queen should be the Great Britain National Anthem

-England should have Land of Hope and Glory. I love Jerusalem as well but you can see some half educated morons thinking it a homage to Israel or something (it isn't but nevertheless)
-Scotland should have Scotland the Brave (that 'Flower of Scotland' just sucks even 'Killicranky Oh' is better!)
-Wales should have Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau which is just fabulous
-Northern Ireland should have the Londonderry Air

Although none are as good as La Marseillaise or Il Canto deli Italiani; they are by far and away the best two. With the Italian anthem just shading it.

IMHO of course.

TNBA

TTF

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
You want us all to sing that when we win our medals at the next Olympics?

Probably unrealistic! Says more to me though then crushing enemies at home and abroad and keeping a privileged family in power.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
The bottom line is while over 50% of the population support the Royal Family they are going nowhere and neither is the National Anthem. God save Her I say, even though I don't actually believe in God, I do though believe in the Queen

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Always quite liked the American and French national anthems. Stirring, triumphant and something that brings people together. By comparison ours always seems dreary, outdated and divisive. Not really suitable for a celebration. Can’t see it ever changing though.

I always like the Billy Connolly sketch when he bemoaned how miserable GSTQ is when our team walks out at the Olympics opening ceremony, compared to the rousing and upbeat national anthems of little 3rd world countries. Billy's idea was for us to adopt the theme to 'The Archers'.
Brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here