Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we have a new national anthem?

drew

Drew
NSC Patron
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Makes you laugh, someone claims to have no allegience to the monarchy so they then suggesting foisting upon, what should be a secular society, a hymn about Jesus! You could'nt make it up.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Jerusalem is about Jesus in England. No. Just no.

William Blake's poem is a lot more than a simple face value interpretation of the work. The poem asks a question rather than gives an answer. It is not a literal poem about Jesus being in England, but can utopia be found in England.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Jerusalem is about Jesus in England. No. Just no.

Just the first line is "And did those feet in ancient times....."

But most of it is a fairly revolutionary complaint about the state of the country as it was then - as in satanic Mills - and a call to make it a better place - "Til we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land." and Jerusalem should be taken as just a good place to live and is not about a religious haven.

I am a trained preacher and believe that most people do not really know what the song is about when they sing it...... said he possibly patronisingly and I would love to be proved wrong.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Absolutely not!

Republicans should be deported if they don't like things as they are. Better still hanged for treason.

I do think however, that there is a good case for a separate English National Anthem, with God Save the Queen solely used for royal/British events. For this use, Jerusalem is certainly worthy of consideration.

Does that mean you would pay for me to go and live in France? I'd quite like that

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

But most of it is a fairly revolutionary complaint about the state of the country as it was then - as in satanic Mills - and a call to make it a better place - "Til we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land." and Jerusalem should be taken as just a good place to live and is not about a religious haven.

I am a trained preacher and believe that most people do not really know what the song is about when they sing it...... said he possibly patronisingly and I would love to be proved wrong.

I am a trained atheist [sic] and agree with you. William Blake was an incredibly complicated genius who was completely at odds with orthodox religion. The poem poses a question based upon a myth. The question asks whether Jerusalem, or 'utopia' can be found in our green and pleasant land. For anyone to say it is simply a religious song about Jesus being in England really does need to read the poem and not listen to the hymn.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
At least a quarter of the population are Republican. I'm guessing you haven't thought this one through.

f*** the royals, the most spoilt family in the world.

You say that but it would solve a lot of housing issues if 1/4 of the population were deported. Probably free up some jobs too!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I am a trained atheist [sic] and agree with you. William Blake was an incredibly complicated genius who was completely at odds with orthodox religion. The poem poses a question based upon a myth. The question asks whether Jerusalem, or 'utopia' can be found in our green and pleasant land. For anyone to say it is simply a religious song about Jesus being in England really does need to read the poem and not listen to the hymn.

We seem to be of one mind. I often find myself having a lot of time for people who are, as you put it, "completely at odds with organised religion". Over the years, many people (Christian and others) have been so and often for good reason.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

When its being used by people or organisations they usually stop before it gets really interesting, its still a bit to much for some people even after all these years. But for me its about the aspiration for a freer more just society, completely at odds with royalty.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We seem to be of one mind. I often find myself having a lot of time for people who are, as you put it, "completely at odds with organised religion". Over the years, many people (Christian and others) have been so and often for good reason.

Which makes William Blake such a fascinating character and unsurprising he was such an influence on Nietzsche among many other great thinkers.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
God Save the Queen
Lyrics

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall.
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On thee our hopes we fix:
God save the Queen.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen

From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!:sick:

Or something closer to this?

God Save the Queen
Lyrics

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall.
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On thee our hopes we fix:
God save the Queen.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen

From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!:sick:

Or something closer to this?

You missed out the best bit:

And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious sweaties to crush...

It`s something like that anyway.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Loads of the best national anthems are about fighting against the old enemy. England have managed to fall out with so many people, you wouldn't know where to start!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Loads of the best national anthems are about fighting against the old enemy. England have managed to fall out with so many people, you wouldn't know where to start!

Which is why Jerusalem works so well. It's an inward looking poem asking a question of ourselves and our country.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham

GSTQ is easy to understand and therefore why it should remain our national anthem.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Always quite liked the American and French national anthems. Stirring, triumphant and something that brings people together. By comparison ours always seems dreary, outdated and divisive. Not really suitable for a celebration. Can’t see it ever changing though.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I thought we sorted this a few years ago. You Roundhead types had your chance, but soon came crying back that you couldn't manage without the Royal Family, so stop your moaning and treasonable ideas.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
"I Vow To Thee My Country" doesn't seem to have been mentioned.

Incidently one verse of "God Save The King/Queen" has the lines:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here