Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Perhaps a double pivot with Danny Drinkwater?

I doubt even the Americans would take them. It's got Sunderland written all over it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps a double pivot with Danny Drinkwater?

I doubt even the Americans would take them. It's got Sunderland written all over it.

:lolol:

Oh deary me. If I was the OP, I think I’d sneak off and keep my head down for a week or so after starting this thread.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And the rationale for an arbitrary 'No, no he couldn't' for a 28 year old former England international whose career has stalled (like Lallana's and Welbeck's had) is ..............? Obviously, 'Because he's shit' isn't the answer - you don't get to play more than 230 games over ten years in the PL if you're shit.
So why an instant arbitrary no (given that wages could be a serious complication, but if that could be resolved)?

Because he's not good enough and would waste a squad place and wages.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No need to divert vaste sums from the new striker finance pot to fund Barkley's wages.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And the rationale for an arbitrary 'No, no he couldn't' for a 28 year old former England international whose career has stalled (like Lallana's and Welbeck's had) is ..............? Obviously, 'Because he's shit' isn't the answer - you don't get to play more than 230 games over ten years in the PL if you're shit.
So why an instant arbitrary no (given that wages could be a serious complication, but if that could be resolved)?

Whose place in the squad does he take, as I can’t see where he’d improve us, which has to be the main criteria for me.

If Alzate is possibly our weakest midfield player currently (and debatable I know), is Barkley better/improvement on him, I don’t think he is, and then you throw in other elements (wages etc), definitely not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can a mod change the title to Joke Du Jour?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’d be interested to know how many games the OP had watched Barkley ? And if any particular appearances stand out for them ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Barkley - “Gaffer, what’s a high press?”
GP - “I hear Dele Alli’s new club is looking for another England has-been, you’re best off in Turkey lad.”

- “Gaffer, what’s a high press?”

Gsouth - It's when you get the ironed crease on your waistcoat to match your trousers. Now get back to hoofing practice

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whose place in the squad does he take, as I can’t see where he’d improve us, which has to be the main criteria for me.

If Alzate is possibly our weakest midfield player currently (and debatable I know), is Barkley better/improvement on him, I don’t think he is, and then you throw in other elements (wages etc), definitely not.
See the OP. "Don't think he'd get into our team at the moment, but potentially good back-up.".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
See the OP. "Don't think he'd get into our team at the moment, but potentially good back-up.".

Back up, on his wages?

:facepalm:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
He'll go abroad..... MLS or France/Italy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Tread carefully. There will be a reason he has been released.

Why have Everton loaned Dele Alli to Besiktas?

Two England players who should be in their prime, but both careers have gone bad. Is it attitude?

Maybe but I suspect poor man management and coaching contributed too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Too expensive, overrated to begin with anyway, not sure how we'd accommodate him in the side, shit chavvy haircut.

It's a no from me.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
See my comment - is Alzate a starter 😃👍
No, he's cover, waiting for his chance (with always the possibility that he could take the chance to 'make the place his own') - same as Barkley would be. He was an excellent player at Everton, and for England - and maybe his restoration to his former form could be the sort of project that appeals to GP. I've no idea about his attitude, and I'm not shouting for the club to sing him up, and certainly not if he is insisting on big money - I'm more than happy to leave that decision to the people who know what they're doing!
Anyway, I think, like others, that he'll almost certainly go abroad fpr the money. Not that he's likely to get anything like the amount he was reportedly on at Chelsea, but certainly more than we'd pay him for being a restoration project!

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Two England players who should be in their prime, but both careers have gone bad. Is it attitude?

Perhaps it's ALTITUDE.

Maybe they should both sign for West Brom, or even LDU Quito...?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Your island is second only to South America and former Yugoslavia when it comes to hyping young players when they play a couple of good games or have a good season.

About five minutes into their careers you frequently "Uhhh, this is the new Gascoigne/Shearer/Rooney" and the players either believe it themselves and get lazy, or they feel the massive pressure and self-medicate with booze, babes and other forms of dumb entertainment. Then they struggle and just as quickly gets labelled as horrendous people and footballers... and either give up trying to be the best or believe in what people say and lose all confidence. Very few manage to escape the impact of these things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here