Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Paul Di’Anno

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Interesting that people have quite different favourite albums and periods. Some prefer the Di'Anno period, some the 'classic' era of Number of the Beast through to Somewhere in Time (some are not keen on the last two albums of this era) and you prefer Brave New World, Dance of Death, and A Matter of Life and Death. I read a Kerrang article a few years ago which listed Seventh Son as the reader's favourite. A great album but personally I was surprised to see it top the list. A sign of a good band that so many eras can appeal.
I really became aware of Maiden as a kid with Powerslave, which I adored and still do. I definitely bought No Prayer for the Dying when it came out in 1990, but I think it – and the band – got a bit lost to me during the whole grunge and indie era. Was reintroduced when someone got me a best of CD that had a couple of Brave New World tracks on it. Had a bit of catching up to do and just loved the sound of the second Bruce era. Such a fantastic band.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really became aware of Maiden as a kid with Powerslave, which I adored and still do. I definitely bought No Prayer for the Dying when it came out in 1990, but I think it – and the band – got a bit lost to me during the whole grunge and indie era. Was reintroduced when someone got me a best of CD that had a couple of Brave New World tracks on it. Had a bit of catching up to do and just loved the sound of the second Bruce era. Such a fantastic band.
Same here. I first started liking them on Powerslave. I recall buying Live After Death in a record store in Lewes. Saw them twice on Somewhere Tour and then again on Seventh Son including Donington. Last album I bought was No Prayer. By this time I was at uni and listening to all sorts of stuff and my metal and rock interest dissipated. I still go to see the big bands and have seen Maiden a number of times over the past decade or so.

@thedonkeycentrehalf and myself have, unknowingly, crossed paths many times …..I have no doubt he was at one of these gigs as well. Or maybe in the record store?

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
RIP Paul, but hardly a surprise.

Saw Iron Maiden 5 times in 1980/81 with Di'Anno. His rough and ready leather and denim approach was a breath of fresh air compared to all that crap spandex going around most of the NWOBHM scene at the time. Thanks to him I can claim:

a) to have appeared on an Iron Maiden record before Bruce Dickinson (probably) - background vocals (yo-di-yo chanting) on the live version of Drifter recorded at the Marquee that was on the B-side of Sanctuary

b) to have appeared on stage with Iron Maiden before Bruce Dickinson (probably) - 3rd air guitar from the left, several times - in the early days, Di'Anno was quite prone to saying "Right, I want to see all you lot on the stage right now"

c) to have had a pint with Steve Harris. Sheffield University, 1980. Gig cancelled at the last minute thanks to Di'Anno's alleged "sore throat" - for which read he was too off his face to get on stage. Harris, feeling bad about it, comes down to the bar to apologise in person to the few of us still sticking around and buys us all drinks.

Went off Maiden very quickly after Dickinson joined and they turned into Spinal Tap without the jokes...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here