Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Paul Di’Anno

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Yeah, I’d agree with that.

I didn’t really listen to them before Bruce took the reins and I don’t much like the Paul Dianno era.

Nothing against the guy, just not my thing.

Maiden are one of my favourite bands for all the reasons you write and nobody can deny they are just one heck of a rollicking band.

Seen them live a few times and alongside AC/DC they are one of the best live rock bands I’ve seen.

Yeah they are a bit tongue in cheek and silly but when it comes to laying down pure rock belters they bring it.
My only criticism in recent years is they've over done it with the too many prog rock like tracks dominating their albums. Too many 6 minute plus songs isn't always easily digestible. You need light and shade with a mix of the sprawling story telling epics and the 3 minute belters.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
remember reading he was kicked out of Maiden as Harris wanted a voice that could take Maiden to the next level and that Di’Anno more punkish voice had reached its limit. (probably not helped by Harris and him falling out).

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Yeah, I’d agree with that.

I didn’t really listen to them before Bruce took the reins and I don’t much like the Paul Dianno era.

Nothing against the guy, just not my thing.

Maiden are one of my favourite bands for all the reasons you write and nobody can deny they are just one heck of a rollicking band.

Seen them live a few times and alongside AC/DC they are one of the best live rock bands I’ve seen.

Yeah they are a bit tongue in cheek and silly but when it comes to laying down pure rock belters they bring it.
Wow, I can't believe a true Maiden fan can't get into their first 2 albums.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Getting back on track, RIP Paul. Those first two Maiden albums set the band on their way to great things.

I’m sure I have his original Di’Anno band album buried away in my vinyl collection form about 1984.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wow, I can't believe a true Maiden fan can't get into their first 2 albums.

That’s Bruce Dickinson.

I like their music. They’re fantastic live. But I don’t know everything about them from day one.

I know a little about their early years but I’m not a fanatic.

In fact, much to my disappointment, I’ve lost my passion for a lot of music and it’s been relegated to a kind of background thing for me now. Far removed from my days of sitting down to listen to an album on full or queue for tickets to a gig.

But that’s a huge diversion.

RIP Paul Di’Anno

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
You do realise that that was not their own song but a cover version they felt pressured into releasing by their then publishing company Zomba. They've always denounced it's release as a mistake.
What’s wrong with being sexy?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
remember reading he was kicked out of Maiden as Harris wanted a voice that could take Maiden to the next level and that Di’Anno more punkish voice had reached its limit. (probably not helped by Harris and him falling out).
It's widely accepted that Dickinson took them to the next level but the initial problems were Dianno partying too hard and some gigs were cancelled.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
RIP Paul.

I had both of those early Maiden albums on vinyl. Great records, and a wonderful time for heavy metal.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

A landmark moment for Maiden and Paul. Not since The Who back in 1974 had a band played totally live on BBC's flagship music show. This clip also features Clive Burr resplendent in his Hammers top who sadly died from complications relating to MS back in 2013. It also features guitarist Dennis Stratton who only played on the debut album and who was allegedly sacked for listening too much to The Eagles! :)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
RIP Paul.

I had both of those early Maiden albums on vinyl. Great records, and a wonderful time for heavy metal.
Back in the day when an album cover alone from any musical genre could grab your attention even before you heard the music. An art form largely lost in the era of CDs and and then streaming :(

Incredibly sad news, especially with the band's 50th Anniversary coming up next year. Have no doubt he'll be celebrated at those shows in some way.

Was in London the same day he was doing a signing event at the Cart & Horses (the pub Maiden played their first show at) on August Bank Holiday weekend. In hindsight, wish I'd gone along to that.

Rest In Peace, Paul 🤘

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Incredibly sad news, especially with the band's 50th Anniversary coming up next year. Have no doubt he'll be celebrated at those shows in some way.

Was in London the same day he was doing a signing event at the Cart & Horses (the pub Maiden played their first show at) on August Bank Holiday weekend. In hindsight, wish I'd gone along to that.

Rest In Peace, Paul 🤘
For the London stadium gig next June I think a little ' pilgrimage ' to the Cart and Horses is long overdue :)

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Love a bit of Maiden and still get excited when they release a new album. Obviously a big fan of the "classic" era, but the trio of albums when Bruce came back (Brave New World, Dance of Death, and A Matter of Life and Death) is my favourite period I think. I quite like the proggy epics. Might have to have a bit of a back catalogue session today. RIP Paul.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Nice that Bruce and Steve ‘looked after him’ at the end of his life despite some issues with the band over the years.

RIP

On a related note when the surviving Beatles bought out ‘Anthology’ I seem to recall that Macca insisted Pete Best got a cut of the royalties, which I believe amounted to a 7 figure sum.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Love a bit of Maiden and still get excited when they release a new album. Obviously a big fan of the "classic" era, but the trio of albums when Bruce came back (Brave New World, Dance of Death, and A Matter of Life and Death) is my favourite period I think. I quite like the proggy epics. Might have to have a bit of a back catalogue session today. RIP Paul.
Interesting that people have quite different favourite albums and periods. Some prefer the Di'Anno period, some the 'classic' era of Number of the Beast through to Somewhere in Time (some are not keen on the last two albums of this era) and you prefer Brave New World, Dance of Death, and A Matter of Life and Death. I read a Kerrang article a few years ago which listed Seventh Son as the reader's favourite. A great album but personally I was surprised to see it top the list. A sign of a good band that so many eras can appeal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here