Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Charlie Watts

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Legend, R.I.P

Just read his wife is 34, and leaves behind a 5 year old youngest son.

Wow just wow, respect

That’s not true. He famously eschewed the rock star life, led a quiet private life and was married to the same person since the 60s I think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
'Let it Bleed' arguably their greatest offering.
First track 'Gimme Shelter'. With all that's going on in Afghanistan a very apt listen in my opinion.
Settling down to a few drams and a listen to the wee small hours of the morning.

RIP Charlie Watts

TNBA

TTF

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Bon voyage Charlie Watts. Listened to Beggars Banquet just now - what a fantastic album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
'Let it Bleed' arguably their greatest offering.
First track 'Gimme Shelter'. With all that's going on in Afghanistan a very apt listen in my opinion.
Settling down to a few drams and a listen to the wee small hours of the morning.

RIP Charlie Watts

TNBA

TTF

I prefer Beggars Banquet but the run of 5 albums from this, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile and Goats Head Soup (in as many years) is nothing short of astonishing.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
O M G .... I just heard !
Not Charlie, please....
I suppose it had to happen some day soon. The man was an icon of my times. He and the others made the music that eased me through my formative years and has been a big part of my life. I am shocked. I never met 5be guy but I feel as though I have lost a friend.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Keith Richards quote

“Mick and I got back to the hotel at about five in the morning, and he called up Charlie. ‘Where’s my drummer?’ No answer. He puts the phone down. We were still sitting there getting pissed when about 20 minutes later there was a knock on the door.

It was Charlie — Saville Row suit, perfectly dressed. Tie. Shaved. The whole bit. I could smell the cologne. He walked straight past me, got ahold of Mick and said, ‘Never call me your drummer again.’ He held him up and gave him a right hook.

“Twelve hours later he was saying f**k it, I’m going to go down and do it again. It takes a lot to wind that man up.”

“When Charlie plays, it looks to me that he knows who runs the band on stage, despite what the singer might think.”

:bowdown:

The totally brilliant Mr Watts

https://drummagazine.com/19-reasons-to-love-charlie-watts-2/

The version of this quote I read was that Watts said “I’m not your drummer, you’re my ****ing singer!”

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Quite, you can't have a band full of show offs, someones got to hold it together . . . . As a bass player you couldn't want for a better band mate.

I just loved the way he and Wyman just sat or stood there keeping everything going but always looking as if they were thinking “what on earth are they all playing at”.

I was 10 when the Stones first emerged in 1963, and the Stones were the first band that really “got me”. Their first album was the first album I ever owned - the best Christmas present I ever had - and I still listen to it (on CD). I bought all their early singles, it’s all over now being a particular favourite.

And Charlie was always the one I warmed to most - a remarkable man.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A Great Innings.

My understanding was he didn't rate much of the Stones music, being such a Jazz fan! It paid the bills however...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
‘Rolling Sones at the BBC’ on BBC2 now with some interesting early archive footage.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
‘Rolling Sones at the BBC’ on BBC2 now with some interesting early archive footage.

Nice quote on the news last night when Mick Jagger apparently introduced Charlie Watts to somebody as “this is my drummer,” to which CW replied, “I think you’ll find you’re my singer.”
And to be honest, that remark suggests that Charlie wasn't really up to speed with what actually made the Rolling Stones what they were. Not wishing to speak ill of the dead - he was a good drummer. But he was more Mick and Keith's drummer than they were part of his band!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
And to be honest, that remark suggests that Charlie wasn't really up to speed with what actually made the Rolling Stones what they were. Not wishing to speak ill of the dead - he was a good drummer. But he was more Mick and Keith's drummer than they were part of his band!

Yeah - Charlie & Brian Jones (later sacked) were massive Blues boys. Not many drummers write the songs and steer the direction though.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Tragic loss, though destined to happen sometime with more to follow I expect.
Sad thing is that there is no one to replace them.
RIP Charlie.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Reading stuff written by well known respected drummers and listening to interviews about him, it would seem people ITK think exactly the opposite. …… verging on “the Stones will never be the same without his unique and irreplaceable drumming style”… which was much admired.

And I’ve seen Keith Richard quoted as saying it was having CW as drummer that allowed him to “fly”.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I’ve heard variations on this event and quote. All things considered, I’m of the view Charlie never said “you’re my drummer”.

As an aside, in my post above, Stewart Copeland provides an eloquent and measured explanation of Watts’ significance in the Stones.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Reading stuff written by well known respected drummers and listening to interviews about him, it would seem people ITK think exactly the opposite. …… verging on “the Stones will never be the same without his unique and irreplaceable drumming style”… which was much admired.

And I’ve seen Keith Richard quoted as saying it was having CW as drummer that allowed him to “fly”.

Drummers' Union eh?

All opinions really - I think some drummers were absolutely intrinsic to the band they were in .... The Who, unthinkable without Moon, Beatles, unthinkable without Ringo, Led Zep without Bonham for examples. Other bands just (!) had good drummers - even very good ones - but not irreplaceable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here