Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Relations who have played for Brighton

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
somewhere in the loft i have an old photo of the brighton team from 1903 with my great or great great grandad.W.E.Backhauser.

susiejane138

Aug 7, 2012
Your great uncle..... and my Husbands grandfather...

I've been told that Hugh Vallance (season 1929-1930) was my Great Uncle, but I've never been keen enough to check it out in all honesty! Would certainly add up, as all my father's family were born in Wolverhampton.

Not too happy about the 'serious misdemeanour' implication below, especially in light of current events....

"Vallance was born in Wolverhampton and after serving in the army as a guardsman began his football career with Kidderminster Harriers. He moved to Aston Villa in 1927, but left to join Queens Park Rangers without having broken into the first team. He made just one appearance for Rangers before moving to Brighton & Hove Albion in the spring of 1929. He was given his chance by Brighton manager Charlie Webb and soon established himself in the Brighton attack alongside Dan Kirkwood. In the 1929–30 season, Vallance scored four hat-tricks before the end of the year. By the end of the season, Vallance had scored 30 league goals in 37 games, while his strike parter Kirkwood had netted 38 in 40. The following season, Vallance scored twice in the first seven games before his Brighton contract was terminated for a "serious misdemeanour" at the same time as that of Ireland international Jack Curran."

Hi, Hugh Vallance was my husband's grandfather - I guess that means you must be second cousins ???? Are you related to Thomas Vallance - we believe that was Hugh's only brother

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
I'm not great on cousin terminology but my dad is the cousin of the late Bob Virgo (Adam and James's dad) - so I'm either second cousin or cousin once removed, I forget which is which.

Bob was a lovely, gentle fella, and I'll never forget sitting with him at the play off final at Cardiff - I don't think I've ever seen anyone look more nervous at a football match. Or anywhere else, for that matter

When Bob died a year or so later, there was an amazing turnout at the funeral, including Mark McGhee, Dick Knight and lots of Adam's Albion team mates. It was one of many moments over the years when I've had reason to pause and reflect on what a bloody fantastic football club I support.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
A friend of mine played for Albion's youth team, in the same team as Gareth Barry. I also went to school with a kid who was Steve Foster's nephew.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Dave Hollins, goalkeeper in the fifties, married my cousin. He is John Hollins brother. He went on to play for Newcastle and Wales.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My late father played for Huddersfield town boys and my late grandfather jack played for Barnsley and Huddersfield during the war....he was in a reserved occupation working in a ball bearings factory.

Not brighton unfortunately

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm related to Steve Piper. I used to see his parents and siblings fairly regularly, but still have never met him.

Marmaduke

SE London Seagull
Apr 28, 2010
SE London
After my aunties spent six months doing a family tree, I'm apparently related to a scottish chap who was the first ever player to be sent off for Palace.

Having said that, I am not related to Mark Farrington.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here