Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rdm yes rdm

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I think you will find the stumbling block is how much we are are prepared to pay.

Its all very well having a new state of the art stadium but its cost money and whilst TB is very rich he didn't make his money by risking it paying high wages to primadona footballers and managers.

You don't interview the calibre of people we have been associated with and then go to someone you had close all along unless money plays a part of your choice.

I suspect all want the job and then find out how much they have to work with and then they go into the ironmongery business*

* they make a bolt for the door.

I suspect that money is a significant factor and may well deter some candidates. It isn't rocket science to observe that we lost our last two managers allegedly because they could not work within the financial constraints placed upon them. So I expect Tony is now giving each shortlisted candidate an especially thorough grilling in order to secure their understanding and commitment, hopefully for more than 12 months!

I do wonder if any candidates have withdrawn at that stage? IMHO this is a bit naïve, because many are out of work and FFP isn't going away (for now), so its a case of biting the bullet and getting on with it. In all other respects we have a state of the art infrastructure at The Club. We have huge ambitions and already have Premier League tastes - but ultimately only an FFP limited budget.

I'm sure Tony would love to appoint a big name manager but I guess most would be out of our price range. Hence a younger and maybe less experienced candidate is more affordable. Not just about the managers pay package but also how big a dent this might make in the transfer budget. We have to hope that somewhere out there is a decent manager/coach who is available and can press all the right buttons while willing to work within the parameters the Club will impose on him. In return I guess that Tony would offer a huge incentive package if the new manager can deliver Premier League footie.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I suspect that money is a significant factor and may well deter some candidates. It isn't rocket science to observe that we lost our last two managers allegedly because they could not work within the financial constraints placed upon them. So I expect Tony is now giving each shortlisted candidate an especially thorough grilling in order to secure their understanding and commitment, hopefully for more than 12 months!

I do wonder if any candidates have withdrawn at that stage? IMHO this is a bit naïve, because many are out of work and FFP isn't going away (for now), so its a case of biting the bullet and getting on with it. In all other respects we have a state of the art infrastructure at The Club. We have huge ambitions and already have Premier League tastes - but ultimately only an FFP limited budget.

I'm sure Tony would love to appoint a big name manager but I guess most would be out of our price range. Hence a younger and maybe less experienced candidate is more affordable. Not just about the managers pay package but also how big a dent this might make in the transfer budget. We have to hope that somewhere out there is a decent manager/coach who is available and can press all the right buttons while willing to work within the parameters the Club will impose on him. In return I guess that Tony would offer a huge incentive package if the new manager can deliver Premier League footie.

That's all far too sensible and well put. I would like to think that the size of the transfer war-chest is not that much of an issue, but realise it could well be. And if it is, I hope we are sticking to our guns and making sure people know what the true picture is.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

I'd go along with a lot of that - just hope that the RDM is just conjecture because at this stage and having being told by the club that we had some interesting candidates to bring in RDM just seems a backward step.

And besides that I think we are going to end up with a smaller warchest with RDM than we would with a higher profile manager.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its going to be somebody who has worked well with little money...im thinking its going to be French Fred..

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I've got a real feeling that it's going to be Fred Hantz, and I wouldn't be displeased with that at all based on his CV and this from his Wiki page (probably definitely been pointed out on another thread):

"This is a coach known for his unusual methods, such as jogging at 6am, speeches in the dark, the choreography for the fans..."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here