Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rafa Benitez linked to take over as manager at ...

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Harsh on Adkins I reckon if they do get shot of him.

Gutted I read this wrong the first time, I thought Adkins was going to be shot

I would laugh my head off if this happened and agree with another poster I probably wont dislike Saints so much if he goes

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To be fair they have had the hardest start possible playing City, Arsenal and United. If they fail this weekend against Villa (I think that's who they have) then they should be worried.

Are you under Dear Leader Nigel's spell? They lost 0-2 at HOME to WIGAN, as well.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Is is just me that thinks if there is any truth to this then Southampton are mad? The only game they could realistically have been hoping to gain points from was the Wigan game. Ok they got thrashed at Arsenal rather than just beaten, but still!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Is is just me that thinks if there is any truth to this then Southampton are mad? The only game they could realistically have been hoping to gain points from was the Wigan game. Ok they got thrashed at Arsenal rather than just beaten, but still!

Agreed... back to back promotions in the premiership, crazy to even think of replacing him. They were winning against city and united! Realistically they are probably ~2-3 points below target.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Would Benitez really want to go to St Marys? - surely he is more ambitious than that. If he plays his cards right it could be Real Madrid or a Champions league level club. On the other hand I like winding up Stains fans by suggesting that Harry will be back.

I'm afraid the buck stops with Adkins - he knew their opening fixtures were very tough but failed to seriously reinforce his defence, even in the transfer window. Surely shutting out a couple of big Prem teams and gaining even a couple of draws would have been better than the disastrous start they are enduring. Either he is arrogant or naive. The other possibility is that Cortese hasn't allowed Adkins the budget to reinforce both his attack and defence but even so he opted to buy strikers. So would Benitez go there if there isn't a decent transfer budget, especially if they are already looking into the abyss?

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Are you under Dear Leader Nigel's spell? They lost 0-2 at HOME to WIGAN, as well.

:lolol: I wan't them to get smashed week in, week out, don't get me wrong. But apart from Wigan (who I think will do a lot better this season) it'll be interesting to see how they do against the other bottom half teams. Before the season kicked off I thought they'd be safe.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I really can't see them sacking Adkins any time soon. The "tough start" is a massive part of why they are where they are in the table, and tbh, I think they have looked pretty good with the notable exception of the Arsenal game.

Looks like journos just turning teh page in the diary and seeing they have marked it with "start of the managerial merry-go-round". It's then a case of looking to the bottom of the table, and matching a team up with aname on their list of out of work managers. BINGO, a vaguely plausible story to fill some column inches, which has no basis in fact whatsoever.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Ridiculous if he gets the sack so soon... back to back promotions and in a league that they really weren't ready for... He will be there all season even if they do go down... They have had 3 tough games and wouldn't have penciled any points in from them.

The shocker i heard on the radio is that Southampton are apparently the 9th highest spending team this season... in Europe

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I really can't see them sacking Adkins any time soon. The "tough start" is a massive part of why they are where they are in the table, and tbh, I think they have looked pretty good with the notable exception of the Arsenal game.

Looks like journos just turning teh page in the diary and seeing they have marked it with "start of the managerial merry-go-round". It's then a case of looking to the bottom of the table, and matching a team up with aname on their list of out of work managers. BINGO, a vaguely plausible story to fill some column inches, which has no basis in fact whatsoever.

This, innit. They are better than Reading, Norwich, Wigan (and maybe West Ham.)

I reckon they'll be fine.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
I hope they have a dramatic season - just fail to stay up - and pass us going in the other direction. And I hope we are more prepared for the Premier League than they are currently. Too much too soon for Saints, and simply why we were fortunate not to get promoted last season - it would have been extremely difficult to change the team sufficiently to finish in a safe position. Would be a bit mad to get rid of Adkins now - let him cock it up a bit more first.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
To be fair, most of us only really take a disliking to Southampton because of their twat of a manager.

To be fair, it's only really Albion fans who dislike him coz of his 'if they can keep up with us' comment in 10/11. Similarly Saints fans generally don't think highly of Poyet coz of him comparing us to D&G and a few other strange anti Saints outbursts that season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here