Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Pro Plus (caffeine)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Buying a coffee is quite a nice experience I find. It normally means a change of scenery, a short walk, and a nice drink at the end usually served by a fit European. What’s not to like?

I'm guessing it's the old pervy customer

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I took Pro Plus regularly for about a month when prepping for my final chartered accountancy exams, then suddenly about a week before the exams I had some sort of relapse, having to spend about three days in bed unable to do anything. Fortunately I recovered in time, and actually passed my exams. But I’ve not touched them since.
I'm a pharmacologist.

But forget about that. If you need to sleep, unless you are a soldier at war or a commercial driver with too much work on, taking drugs to stay awake is not risk/benefit wise.

You are simply delaying doze-off. The longer you delay the greater the need.

There is no such thing as a pharmacological perpetual motion machine.

That said, stimulants can be fun. But if you have heart problems, are overweight or unfit, or old, don't. Cardiac arrhythmias may arise and kill you.

@Durlston I normally charge £2K a day (or part thereof) for consulting but you can have that for free (y) .

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I used to take 3 tablets on a Sunday morning when I played football. A pretty good hangover cure, and, I was still buzzing by the time I got back to the pub at lunchtime.

Fast forward about 20 years, I had a cardiac arrest that was very close to being the end of me.
My consultant told me, when the Docs found what the problem was, to never, ever take pro plus, Red Bull etc, speed or cocaine( heroin was fine,btw)

As a youngster I had tried speed, I didn’t like the come down, I had had nova cocaine as a pre- med for a nose job, told not to sniff, but, you know, I was young and stupid, so, sniff away.

I think I may have been pretty lucky to still be here now.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Pro plus got me through O and A levels plus Saturday and Sunday football matches back in the early 80s.
I used to take my Ventolin inhaler before matches too. Luckily they didn't do dope testing those days.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Don't let it happen to YOU

After having a queasy stomach most of the afternoon, I made it home for my usual 6pm dump (God knows why I can't go in the morning like most of the country's bums). Instead of logs it was one big cow pat of what looked like chicken masala. :facepalm: Not even a hint of my usual iron tablets darkening my bum tea. So after a couple of Pro Plus this morning, I think it would be best to throw the packet in a drawer and forget they're there for a fair while.

Enough information. 🤮 Euuuurrrrrggggghhhhh!!

Last edited:

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm a pharmacologist.

But forget about that. If you need to sleep, unless you are a soldier at war or a commercial driver with too much work on, taking drugs to stay awake is not risk/benefit wise.

That said, stimulants can be fun. But if you have heart problems, are overweight or unfit, or old, don't. Cardiac arrhythmias may arise and kill you.

@Durlston I normally charge £2K a day (or part thereof) for consulting but you can have that for free (y) .
Thanks Harry. I appreciate it. The cheque's in the post mate. :thumbsup:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Haven’t used it since the early 90s. There used to be a shop on Queens Road in around 1994 that sold gym supplements. They sold me some ephedrine (not pseudo, the real thing). In hindsight absolutely no idea if that was legal then but that was amazing for an all-nighter whether writing essays or clubbing. I was very sporty in those days and I remember feeling invincible.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
After having a queasy stomach most of the afternoon, I made it home for my usual 6pm dump (God knows why I can't go in the morning like most of the country's bums). Instead of logs it was one big cow pat of what looked like chicken masala. :facepalm: Not even a hint of my usual iron tablets darkening my bum tea. So after a couple of Pro Plus this morning, I think it would be best to throw the packet in a drawer and forget they're there for a fair while.

Enough information. 🤮 Euuuurrrrrggggghhhhh!!
Thanks for that, now I wish I was dead.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ll bear that in mind the next time i’m strolling down George St in Hove to Truffles and the obese hairy Romanian women serves me …
Is Treacle, on Church Road in the same parade as the Seafield pub, still there? I liked that place :smile:

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I bought some to help me get through the night drive back from Marseille to Geneva after the Europa League game.

I think I took a couple before the drive, which I was a bit worried about, and I didn't feel tired at any point in the journey.

I don't drink coffee - I simply don't like the taste - so I'm probably quite sensitive to a hit of caffeine.
Is that before or after said hire car had a little nudge?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It's definitely the Pro Plus. I have a severe case of ring sting this morning. :down:

While we're on the subject, has your arse healed now, @jackalbion, after the Rome slashing in February?
Still a good scar, but otherwise healed, funny while we're on this topic, a man replied very aggressively to one of my tweets, with the username 'Mr. Gaping Arsehole' this morning, which was a nice start to the day.

Last edited:

Cheggers

Jul 28, 2011
Bang! And the dirt is gone.
WTF? I took two this morning for the first time in my life. Am I tempted to take anymore today? NO! I feel back to normal with no comedown of any sort. Take any tomorrow? Probably not.

It's Pro Plus, not crack cocaine. :shrug:
It was an attempt at a (crap) joke. I guess humour doesn't always translate in writing. Apologies if I offended you. Or have I been whooshed?

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
What I will say is that I am on the waiting list for a cardio ablation because of Supraventricular Tachycardia. First hit me just after uni when I was working AFDs in a bar and had used pro plus to get through dissertation time and late night's / early mornings. Years later and even completely avoiding caffeine (even chocolate, / coca cola) since 2010 and I still get random SVT attacks.

I'd use with caution, short term if needed. But maybe I had an underlying issue that only showed up at that age, who knows. I wouldn't recommend anything that puts the heart into overdrive though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm a pharmacologist.

I hoped you were going to reveal the elixir for staying awake on election nights :( .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hoped you were going to reveal the elixir for staying awake on election nights :( .
Imminent Labour victory can sometimes work. Albeit, not in 2024.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
taking them regularly just to function in the morning could fcuk up your sleeping patterns and even cause cardiac issues in the long term.

Personally I don’t think anyone with high blood pressure or who suffers from anxiety should take an excess amount of caffeine anyway.

@Durlston - my advice is always free 😍:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here