Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petition - say no to 'B' teams league

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The Premier League are running a twitter campaign for fans to highlight their best moments of the season which they then retweet.
I replied that my best moment was when real fans told the FA to go away (polite) with this asinine proposal. Oddly they haven't retweeted it :shrug:

Interesting that BBC coverage seems to be massively biased towards Dyke's p roposal accusing league clubs of putting self interest first. Not clear why they wouldnt given the example being set by the premier league and followed slavishly by the FA.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Posted links on Facebook and Twitter.

The more people make their voice heard the less chance they have of railroading the proposals through.

I have also e-mailed the club to ask them to oppose the proposal and/or to let fans know where the club stands.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is there a petition to sign in support of the idea? I don't agree with it, but it is a model that works in Germany and Spain to a lesser extent, there must be support for it from some people.

Why did you thumbs down me [MENTION=12486]Husty[/MENTION] ? I asked a question, is there a petition to sign in support, I also indicated quite clearly that I didn't support the idea. But if there is support for it, I would prefer to avail myself of both sides of the story, that way I fell my opinion is somewhat more valid, and something that people really should do before jumping on a bandwagon. I've read what has been written by Dyke, the FA, and also what has been written in a negative response to it, but not so what those who are in favour have to say.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is no current exemption to EU Law and therefore the FA cannot obligate any club to field English players over any other EU citizen. A top placing PL club has no motivation to play anything other than the most successful team possible and with near unlimited funds they will quite happily buy up 11 foreign players that other clubs would be interested in for A team positions by paying stupidly high wages.

I really cannot see anything in the proposal other than a hugely ill thought out an naive straw grasping exercise.

If you can see a way to LEGALLY force a club to field English players than I'd be facininated to hear it, because I have seen nothing that allows this stupid proposal under current UK law.

firstly there is concessions in EU law for sports (and other areas, ie armed forces, security cleared government posts) and secondly there are already rules in place to place the emphasis on local players. the league could legally enforce rules for all players to be homegrown, but of course the clubs wouldnt agree to such a restriction so the situation wont occur. this matter, and in particular increaseing the number of homegrown players in a squad, is in the report.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
They're discussing this on LBC now.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No replacement needed - just an acceptance that England are crap and always will be. I'd rather have a strong league of 92 teams ( all individual ) and a crap England side than have a league where the rich and powerful clubs take over the lower leagues with their B teams all in the name of creating a strong England team.

Duly signed.

Are there only two alternatives?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Are there only two alternatives?
Yes. There can only be two alternatives.

Seriously, there ought to be a middle way, but this does not sound like it. I remain completely unconvinced that B teams playing conference sides will make the young English players better. They would surely develop more if they played on loan for a team in the bottom half of the Primera Liga, or a good Championship side. Developing a better national team is about improved coaching for young players, which comes from having better coaches, not changing league structures. The Premier League has hardly helped, has it?

And I do agree we have always been not good enough. One win at home does not really equal the top nations.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why should watching your local team have anything to do with trying to win the world cup?

How about investing some of the stupid millions in supporting all teams as opposed to creating an avenue for clubs with bloated squads throwing thousands of pounds at teenagers?

Why are our players scared of going abroad? It's not that tricky to fill in a passport application (or get their agent to do it).

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Done. Many of those in favour view this in isolation as a means of improving the pool of young talent and getting them to play competitively; this completely misses the wider point about how it would negatively impact swathes of existing clubs below Championship level, undermining their support, viability and, ultimately, the foundations upon which the big clubs have been built. Culturally shouldn't our youngsters be encouraged that there's more value in learning your trade with a smaller team, getting genuine exposure to proper competitive football (a la Wardy, Zamora and many others) than there is being buried deep in a big club back-up squad serving little purpose and with limited chance of ever making the 1st team? Current proposal looks like poorly disguised commercial vested interest masquerading as altruism.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
........ being buried deep in a big club back-up squad serving little purpose and with limited chance of ever making the 1st team? Current proposal looks like poorly disguised commercial vested interest masquerading as altruism.
With what aim???............... my question to you would be, Why would a big club sink big bucks into running a B team if as you say the B team squad will have no chance of getting to the 1st team? .... you or I have no qualifications beyond emotional rhetoric that this proposal ( ie not set in stone), will work or not, but if there is the will to plough money into the lower leagues ( also in the proposal) to allow ten B teams to compete, there must surely be a realistic chance that the end result is more players bridging the gap from DS to 1st team..... at least more chance than is recognised happens now.

I am just remaining open minded, I fear the knee jerk headlines that appeared whilst Dyke was actually still speaking, just havnt helped in the debate at all,....

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
With what aim???............... my question to you would be, Why would a big club sink big bucks into running a B team if as you say the B team squad will have no chance of getting to the 1st team? .... you or I have no qualifications beyond emotional rhetoric that this proposal ( ie not set in stone), will work or not, but if there is the will to plough money into the lower leagues ( also in the proposal) to allow ten B teams to compete, there must surely be a realistic chance that the end result is more players bridging the gap from DS to 1st team..... at least more chance than is recognised happens now.

I am just remaining open minded, I fear the knee jerk headlines that appeared whilst Dyke was actually still speaking, just havnt helped in the debate at all,....

You're not wrong but the point you're making only re-enforces the advantage to the clubs running the B Teams. Why should everybody else be compromised to support what is in their best interests?

Curious split in opinions.

I spoke with a fair few people about this yesterday, to a man, every fan of lower league clubs is vehemently opposed to it, and all the Chelsea, man U, Liverpool "fans" are pro.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here