Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “On paper, the Utd players are better”

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I think there’s some serious blue tint to people’s glasses. If on paper Brighton’s players are better than Man Utd’s then given the stability and harmony off the pitch at Brighton we must dead certs to finish above Utd this season. I don’t see that happening.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Considering we’ve been through the same with GP. It takes a couple of seasons to implement the style the manager wants, we did the same to bigger gaps between midfield and defence, not pressing as team and not pushing up as a unit.
It will come and when it happens they will be better with better players and the ability to sign better players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The manager's influence is forgotten here.

I would take Rashford over Welbeck in a Potter team.
I would take Sancho over Trossard in a Potter team.
I would take De Gea over Sanchez in a Potter team.
I'd love Maguire in a Potter team.

Exactly (with the exception of the last one).

If he 'wants it' Rashford should be running as far away from OT as fast as humanly possible.

The place is toxic and it's that toxicity which has been blinding some on NSC, across the other 2 long discussions already had on the subject.

Last edited:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
On paper seems to me more applicable to the transfer fee paid, than to how the players actually perform on the pitch. Uniteds almost to a man underperforming. Ours mostly overperforming. They have obviously been rinsed by selling clubs to an extent, but also how they are being coached, managed and set up to play has a massive impact

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think last season showed that technically speaking, they're better - they had chaos, manager changes, no harmony, yet make their way to 6th... hard to see what it comes down to other than ability; certainly wasn't the team spirit that took them there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't think Dublin's statement, nor the OP, are particularly valid.

Over a season they will do better than us. They'll get results somehow and finish higher in the table. They are still a big club with a big budget able to attract big name players.

However, over 90 minutes against us they'll struggle every single time. That midfield of Fred and McThug is horrendous when it goes head to head with us, we are a better team against their better individuals. We press better and they always inexplicably leave space for Gross even though they must know what he's capable of.

But when, say, Forest come to the Amex and park the bus we'll probably only just manage a draw whereas their better players win that game easily. That's how they accumulate their position over 38 games.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I heard old Billy Belfast declare this last night on MOTD2 and thought, is that really true?

De Gea v Sanchez

De Gea is such a good shop stopper but he really can’t distribute the ball like a modern attacking keeper such as Allison, Ederson or Sanchez. De Gea last played for Spain in 2020. By the time if the World Cup, it’s probable that Sanchez will have the Spanish No.1 shirt. He is just a better all round keeper. Sanchez wins.

Dalot v Veltman

Dalot has stood out in the last two matches. Nine Hag (he loses a number each time his team lose, when he reaches zero, he gets the sack) must have wished he still had Veltman in his team. Veltman is much the smarter baller. Joel wins.

Maguire v Dunk

It really pains me to say this, but slabhead has outmuscled Lewis a number of times. He did it again for their goal yesterday as he crushed Dunk allowing the ball to head towards the back post. I think he just pips Dunky. Maguire wins.

Martínez v Webster

The new man from Ajax is tiny compared to Webster but is not that much better as a baller. Welbeck bullied the little fella and he is going to get a lot more of that in the EPL. The likes of Mitro will utterly destroy him. Easy win for Webbo.

Shaw v March

I thought Shaw was brilliant in the Euros but is unbelievably inconsistent for Man Utd. Solly has been performing at a good level for a while for us but I just think, in a better team, Shaw would have the edge. Shaw wins.

McThugary v Caicedo

One is very very good at fouling, the other is very very good at football. Caicedo wins.

Fred v Mac Allister

Fred is horrifically average. Compared to Utd legends like Keane, he is Championship level. Mac Allister is getting better every week and is now probably above the Man Utd let down. Mac Allister wins.

Bruno Fernandes v Lallana

Bruno is a shadow of the player he was in 20/21 but actually gets a good number of goals and assists still. Adam missed a lot of our best performances last season but is back in the team. He can’t shoot like Bruno though. Fernandes wins.

Sancho v Trossard

Sancho scored just 3 goals last season compared to Leo’s 8. Sancho has been a big flop and will surely lose his England place whilst Leo might play every minute of Belgium’s WC campaign. No contest. Leo wins.

Eriksen v Groß

The Dane smashes Pascal’s goals and assists stats out the park but is must be mentioned that Potter has normally kept Pascal away from attacking positions. Not this season though. Still, Christian is a very special player. Eriksen wins.

Rashford v Welbeck

Too much, too young. Marcus appears to have lost all his talent, enthusiasm and drive where as Welbeck has never looked keener. Danny easily out scored the future politician last season. He is a better all round player and leader too. Dat Guy wins.

I make that 7-4 to the good guys.

Time for Belfast to get back to his day job of prating about in houses talking more nonsense!
Yes, good analysis and you get a bonus point for giving Maguire the nod over Dunk when most of NSC would see that very much through blue-tinted spectacles.

However will you stop using the word 'baller', it makes you sound about 12.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Exactly (with the exception of the last one).

If he 'wants it' Rashford should be running as far away from OT as fast as humanly possible.

The place is toxic and it's that toxicity which has been blinding some on NSC, across the other 2 long discussions already had on the subject.

It’s all about opinions and we have a different one. ‘Toxicity’ can’t be quantified and therefore can’t be correlated with player performance with any degree of certainty. You might take a view that’s the reason but that’s all it is. I just don’t think they have bought well. Fernandez is an expensive flop. His passing is dreadful. Maguire is cumbersome and forever lives on a few runs with the ball out of defence for England several years ago. Good header of the ball but so are Dunk and Webster. Fred and Mct are stealing a living in a PL midfield. Rashford has done very little since showing early promise. I think that perhaps Ronaldo didn’t realise how low standards have fallen at OT, hence his return. They flattered to deceive in recent years, especially under Mourinho. Some things beyond their control eg Greenwood who looked like a brilliant player until recent events.
I’m not saying Brighton are world beaters. Only Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea are in that category with Spurs and Arsenal being part time world beaters, so best of the rest. Man U are still a decent team but have fallen into that next group, which includes Brighton. If that 11 from Sunday turned out for Leicester I don’t think anybody would be saying they are better individual players than we have at Brighton.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Considering we’ve been through the same with GP. It takes a couple of seasons to implement the style the manager wants, we did the same to bigger gaps between midfield and defence, not pressing as team and not pushing up as a unit.
It will come and when it happens they will be better with better players and the ability to sign better players.

I'm not convinced, while no club is in a terminal decline nor are any in a terminal rise (all these things are cyclical), Man U do like they need a full (Derby style!) reset - That's not easy to achieve and I think they'll be through another manager or 2 before they're there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'On paper' doesn't mean 'in our opinion' it means player stats, values, experience, achievements etc. As I indicated in the other thread where this was mentioned, they win hands down: more valuable players, who cost them more money, who have more international caps, who have more European experience, who have won more trophies, who cost their club more in wages and finished higher up the league than our players did last season and the season before that etc. etc. It doesn't mean that they are currently better, or will be better in the future, but it does mean that, on paper, they are better.

I think this is the key issue. They say form is temporary and class permanent. For me, it's all about performance and currently we have more of it than them. If Nine Hag can't conjure the performance that their class predicates.....it will be extremely amusing :lolol:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I don't think Dublin's statement, nor the OP, are particularly valid.

Over a season they will do better than us. They'll get results somehow and finish higher in the table. They are still a big club with a big budget able to attract big name players.

However, over 90 minutes against us they'll struggle every single time. That midfield of Fred and McThug is horrendous when it goes head to head with us, we are a better team against their better individuals. We press better and they always inexplicably leave space for Gross even though they must know what he's capable of.

But when, say, Forest come to the Amex and park the bus we'll probably only just manage a draw whereas their better players win that game easily. That's how they accumulate their position over 38 games.

You are right. But football moves on. United are in a period of considerable change and Ten Haag should make them better. Potter has our ‘group’ minus Yves & Marc outplaying one of the great clubs in the world on their big day, at Old Trafford, where we’ve never won, with their newest new Hope in the dugout. That’s what is so impressive about Sunday. On paper United should be at the top end of the table and above Brighton. On grass, now - not so sure.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I heard old Billy Belfast declare this last night on MOTD2 and thought, is that really true?

De Gea v Sanchez

De Gea is such a good shop stopper but he really can’t distribute the ball like a modern attacking keeper such as Allison, Ederson or Sanchez. De Gea last played for Spain in 2020. By the time if the World Cup, it’s probable that Sanchez will have the Spanish No.1 shirt. He is just a better all round keeper. Sanchez wins.

Dalot v Veltman

Dalot has stood out in the last two matches. Nine Hag (he loses a number each time his team lose, when he reaches zero, he gets the sack) must have wished he still had Veltman in his team. Veltman is much the smarter baller. Joel wins.

Maguire v Dunk

It really pains me to say this, but slabhead has outmuscled Lewis a number of times. He did it again for their goal yesterday as he crushed Dunk allowing the ball to head towards the back post. I think he just pips Dunky. Maguire wins.

Martínez v Webster

The new man from Ajax is tiny compared to Webster but is not that much better as a baller. Welbeck bullied the little fella and he is going to get a lot more of that in the EPL. The likes of Mitro will utterly destroy him. Easy win for Webbo.

Shaw v March

I thought Shaw was brilliant in the Euros but is unbelievably inconsistent for Man Utd. Solly has been performing at a good level for a while for us but I just think, in a better team, Shaw would have the edge. Shaw wins.

McThugary v Caicedo

One is very very good at fouling, the other is very very good at football. Caicedo wins.

Fred v Mac Allister

Fred is horrifically average. Compared to Utd legends like Keane, he is Championship level. Mac Allister is getting better every week and is now probably above the Man Utd let down. Mac Allister wins.

Bruno Fernandes v Lallana

Bruno is a shadow of the player he was in 20/21 but actually gets a good number of goals and assists still. Adam missed a lot of our best performances last season but is back in the team. He can’t shoot like Bruno though. Fernandes wins.

Sancho v Trossard

Sancho scored just 3 goals last season compared to Leo’s 8. Sancho has been a big flop and will surely lose his England place whilst Leo might play every minute of Belgium’s WC campaign. No contest. Leo wins.

Eriksen v Groß

The Dane smashes Pascal’s goals and assists stats out the park but is must be mentioned that Potter has normally kept Pascal away from attacking positions. Not this season though. Still, Christian is a very special player. Eriksen wins.

Rashford v Welbeck

Too much, too young. Marcus appears to have lost all his talent, enthusiasm and drive where as Welbeck has never looked keener. Danny easily out scored the future politician last season. He is a better all round player and leader too. Dat Guy wins.

I make that 7-4 to the good guys.

Time for Belfast to get back to his day job of prating about in houses talking more nonsense!
Well done sir. I was surprised the comment went unchallenged at the time(well a bit).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Sancho over Trossard? You're 'avin' a larf!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't say I disagree with your analysis (on the basis of one game where Utd have one manager and clearly had no idea how to implement his style), but I will say two things:

1) I can't really understand why people took umbrage to this "better on paper" quote. Surely "on paper" refers to transfer fees and international caps? It's not an unreasonable thing for Deon Dublin to have said, especially if you take the matchday squad as a whole rather than the starting XI. I see Ronaldo isn't listed in this analysis for that reason.

2) If our players really are better players than theirs, head-to-head, and we have a top class manager, then how come we finished below them last season? And that was before we sold two of our better players. I suppose you could attribute last season's 7 point gap to big team refereeing but a "7-4" preference for Albion players would suggest that 7 point gap shouldn't exist at all, even with big team refereeing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
'on paper' = stats, international caps, trophies etc.

'off paper' = opinion, form, effectiveness, team play etc.

Dublin to be fair made it clear he was talking about 'on paper' not what is actually in front of our eyes.

....I see [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] has actually already said this above...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I can't say I disagree with your analysis (on the basis of one game where Utd have one manager and clearly had no idea how to implement his style), but I will say two things:

1) I can't really understand why people took umbrage to this "better on paper" quote. Surely "on paper" refers to transfer fees and international caps? It's not an unreasonable thing for Deon Dublin to have said, especially if you take the matchday squad as a whole rather than the starting XI. I see Ronaldo isn't listed in this analysis for that reason.

2) If our players really are better players than theirs, head-to-head, and we have a top class manager, then how come we finished below them last season? And that was before we sold two of our better players. I suppose you could attribute last season's 7 point gap to big team refereeing but a "7-4" preference for Albion players would suggest that 7 point gap shouldn't exist at all, even with big team refereeing.

That can be a bit of a circular argument eg Maguire. Like many people I wouldn’t pick him for England but your criteria make him ‘better on paper’ with each accumulated cap. Similarly, transfer fees can be overpaid. Man Utd tend to have to pay a premium in the transfer market . That doesn’t make their targets better. On paper’ doesn’t mean that to me or others hence the varying views.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

... and run to Brighton. He's the one United player I'd have in an instant. There's a footballer there and I think Potter could work wonders with him. He's out of our price range, sadly, but I think he'll just decline further while he's at OT

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That can be a bit of a circular argument eg Maguire. Like many people I wouldn’t pick him for England but your criteria make him ‘better on paper’ with each accumulated cap. Similarly, transfer fees can be overpaid. ‘On paper’ doesn’t mean that to me or others hence the varying views.
I take your circular argument point, it's just that people on here got very needy after that Dublin quote despite it clearly being a very reasonable view even if it can easily be challenged.

It will be interesting to see if we can finish above them this year, although so much can happen in that time. For a start, if we have another decent season and England flop in Qatar, then Potter is nailed on to be offered Southgate's job. Equally, United might prove to be a different side altogether if he brings in just one or two key players and then gets a tune out of several of his players. Some of them are excellent or have been excellent in the recent past, but have just been rudderless for too long.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Sancho is horrific. Wouldn’t have him in any kind of team. With any kind of manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here