Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “On paper, the Utd players are better”

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I heard old Billy Belfast declare this last night on MOTD2 and thought, is that really true?

De Gea v Sanchez

De Gea is such a good shop stopper but he really can’t distribute the ball like a modern attacking keeper such as Allison, Ederson or Sanchez. De Gea last played for Spain in 2020. By the time if the World Cup, it’s probable that Sanchez will have the Spanish No.1 shirt. He is just a better all round keeper. Sanchez wins.

Dalot v Veltman

Dalot has stood out in the last two matches. Nine Hag (he loses a number each time his team lose, when he reaches zero, he gets the sack) must have wished he still had Veltman in his team. Veltman is much the smarter baller. Joel wins.

Maguire v Dunk

It really pains me to say this, but slabhead has outmuscled Lewis a number of times. He did it again for their goal yesterday as he crushed Dunk allowing the ball to head towards the back post. I think he just pips Dunky. Maguire wins.

Martínez v Webster

The new man from Ajax is tiny compared to Webster but is not that much better as a baller. Welbeck bullied the little fella and he is going to get a lot more of that in the EPL. The likes of Mitro will utterly destroy him. Easy win for Webbo.

Shaw v March

I thought Shaw was brilliant in the Euros but is unbelievably inconsistent for Man Utd. Solly has been performing at a good level for a while for us but I just think, in a better team, Shaw would have the edge. Shaw wins.

McThugary v Caicedo

One is very very good at fouling, the other is very very good at football. Caicedo wins.

Fred v Mac Allister

Fred is horrifically average. Compared to Utd legends like Keane, he is Championship level. Mac Allister is getting better every week and is now probably above the Man Utd let down. Mac Allister wins.

Bruno Fernandes v Lallana

Bruno is a shadow of the player he was in 20/21 but actually gets a good number of goals and assists still. Adam missed a lot of our best performances last season but is back in the team. He can’t shoot like Bruno though. Fernandes wins.

Sancho v Trossard

Sancho scored just 3 goals last season compared to Leo’s 8. Sancho has been a big flop and will surely lose his England place whilst Leo might play every minute of Belgium’s WC campaign. No contest. Leo wins.

Eriksen v Groß

The Dane smashes Pascal’s goals and assists stats out the park but is must be mentioned that Potter has normally kept Pascal away from attacking positions. Not this season though. Still, Christian is a very special player. Eriksen wins.

Rashford v Welbeck

Too much, too young. Marcus appears to have lost all his talent, enthusiasm and drive where as Welbeck has never looked keener. Danny easily out scored the future politician last season. He is a better all round player and leader too. Dat Guy wins.

I make that 7-4 to the good guys.

Time for Belfast to get back to his day job of prating about in houses talking more nonsense!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sounds about right. though Rashford should be performing far better and has in the past. maybe a couple others apply too or not so close run. which is the point, they should be better, where as we performing as a team and getting better as a result. for past few years Man U has made alot of very good players mediocre, even when they were winning.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fred is quite possibly one of the worst Premier League players at present, abjectly useless

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Re Maguire vs Dunk, you have to consider the issue of club captaincy. IMHO I'd rather have Dunk over Maguire on footballing ability although I accept that is a judgement call that could go either way, but Maguire is a poor captain whereas Dunk is exceptional.

Furthermore, Dunk has formed successful partnerships with Greer, Goldson, Duffy, Webster and Veltman - elevating all of them - whereas Maguire is a Centre Back's Jonah, with Varane, Lindelof, Smalling, Bailly, Jones, Rojo all seeing their stock decline alongside Slabhead.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I heard old Billy Belfast declare this last night on MOTD2 and thought, is that really true?

De Gea v Sanchez

De Gea is such a good shop stopper but he really can’t distribute the ball like a modern attacking keeper such as Allison, Ederson or Sanchez. De Gea last played for Spain in 2020. By the time if the World Cup, it’s probable that Sanchez will have the Spanish No.1 shirt. He is just a better all round keeper. Sanchez wins.

Dalot v Veltman

Dalot has stood out in the last two matches. Nine Hag (he loses a number each time his team lose, when he reaches zero, he gets the sack) must have wished he still had Veltman in his team. Veltman is much the smarter baller. Joel wins.

Maguire v Dunk

It really pains me to say this, but slabhead has outmuscled Lewis a number of times. He did it again for their goal yesterday as he crushed Dunk allowing the ball to head towards the back post. I think he just pips Dunky. Maguire wins.

Martínez v Webster

The new man from Ajax is tiny compared to Webster but is not that much better as a baller. Welbeck bullied the little fella and he is going to get a lot more of that in the EPL. The likes of Mitro will utterly destroy him. Easy win for Webbo.

Shaw v March

I thought Shaw was brilliant in the Euros but is unbelievably inconsistent for Man Utd. Solly has been performing at a good level for a while for us but I just think, in a better team, Shaw would have the edge. Shaw wins.

McThugary v Caicedo

One is very very good at fouling, the other is very very good at football. Caicedo wins.

Fred v Mac Allister

Fred is horrifically average. Compared to Utd legends like Keane, he is Championship level. Mac Allister is getting better every week and is now probably above the Man Utd let down. Mac Allister wins.

Bruno Fernandes v Lallana

Bruno is a shadow of the player he was in 20/21 but actually gets a good number of goals and assists still. Adam missed a lot of our best performances last season but is back in the team. He can’t shoot like Bruno though. Fernandes wins.

Sancho v Trossard

Sancho scored just 3 goals last season compared to Leo’s 8. Sancho has been a big flop and will surely lose his England place whilst Leo might play every minute of Belgium’s WC campaign. No contest. Leo wins.

Eriksen v Groß

The Dane smashes Pascal’s goals and assists stats out the park but is must be mentioned that Potter has normally kept Pascal away from attacking positions. Not this season though. Still, Christian is a very special player. Eriksen wins.

Rashford v Welbeck

Too much, too young. Marcus appears to have lost all his talent, enthusiasm and drive where as Welbeck has never looked keener. Danny easily out scored the future politician last season. He is a better all round player and leader too. Dat Guy wins.

I make that 7-4 to the good guys.

Time for Belfast to get back to his day job of prating about in houses talking more nonsense!

Would anybody (well, apart from the obvious muppets) swap Welbeck for Rashford now, or Dunk for Slab-head? I wouldn't. Would you?

Blue-tinted specs maybe (but I don't think so) against the existance of somethig rotten at the core of ManU. True, we don't know exactly what is that rotten core, or how far it's spread, but would you seriously want anything[/I[ from ManU being introduced into the Albion set-up?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
'On paper' doesn't mean 'in our opinion' it means player stats, values, experience, achievements etc. As I indicated in the other thread where this was mentioned, they win hands down: more valuable players, who cost them more money, who have more international caps, who have more European experience, who have won more trophies, who cost their club more in wages and finished higher up the league than our players did last season and the season before that etc. etc. It doesn't mean that they are currently better, or will be better in the future, but it does mean that, on paper, they are better.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Would anybody (well, apart from the obvious muppets) swap Welbeck for Rashford now, or Dunk for Slab-head? I wouldn't. Would you?

Blue-tinted specs maybe (but I don't think so) against the existance of somethig rotten at the core of ManU. True, we don't know exactly what is that rotten core, or how far it's spread, but would you seriously want anything[/I[ from ManU being introduced into the Albion set-up?

Even looking at those players through Potter's eyes and who he'd fancy coaching I still think a majority would be Albion players (Veltman, Dunk, Caicedo, Gross, Welbeck, Trossard)

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It would be interesting if someone here has the stats of the money spent on both squads of the 2 teams that played yesterday.
I suspect it will be laughably much more that Man Utd have paid.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It would be interesting if someone here has the stats of the money spent on both squads of the 2 teams that played yesterday.

I'd guess that Maguire alone cost more than our starting 11 and bench.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Which two of the six teams that played yesterday would that be (assuming we're talking PL)?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

De Gea v Sanchez

I love Sanchez but I’d be really surprised if he manages to get ahead of Unai Simon unless there is an injury or a serious loss of form. Big Bob is clear as their number 2 though.

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Using widely used figures, so presumably pretty close to the mark:

Sanchez- £0

Veltman- £900k
Dunk- £0
Webster- £20m
March- £0

Caicedo- £5m
Mac Allister- £10m
Lallana- £0
Groß- £3m
Trossard- £15m
Welbeck- £0

Total: £53.9m

De Gea- £20m

Dalot- £20m
Maguire- £80m
Martinez- £50m
Shaw- £30m

Fred- £52m
McTwat- £0
Eriksen- £0
Fernandes- £50m
Sancho- £75m
Gashford- £0

Total: £377m

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The manager's influence is forgotten here.

I would take Rashford over Welbeck in a Potter team.
I would take Sancho over Trossard in a Potter team.
I would take De Gea over Sanchez in a Potter team.
I'd love Maguire in a Potter team.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Using widely used figures, so presumably pretty close to the mark:

Sanchez- £0

Veltman- £900k
Dunk- £0
Webster- £20m
March- £0

Caicedo- £5m
Mac Allister- £10m
Lallana- £0
Groß- £3m
Trossard- £15m
Welbeck- £0

Total: £53.9m

De Gea- £20m

Dalot- £20m
Maguire- £80m
Martinez- £50m
Shaw- £30m

Fred- £52m
McTwat- £0
Eriksen- £0
Fernandes- £50m
Sancho- £75m
Gashford- £0

Total: £377m

f**k. five of our best players in the starting 11 who cost absolutely zilch. unreal recruitment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here