Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

October 26th Anniversary Thread!

Seagull Stew

Jul 30, 2003
Brighton
Let's move on a year to 2003 and a live match on Sky between Wigan Athletic and Crystal Palace where many Palace fans celebrated the anniversary of their great triumph by bringing banners with 5-0 written on them.
Needless to say, the final score in that match was Wigan Athletic 5 Crystal Palace 0.
Oh joyous scenes! Who do you play that weekend this season? Will the banners be back for that one?

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
we've got WBA at home on the 23rd. the banners are always out at every match! just so that if we're losing, just like the Wigan game, then we can look at that banner and everything is great again.:p

(was)DBS

Jul 24, 2003
Southwick
So then you will be looking at the banner lots and lots then in the coming months...:lolol: :lolol:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I remember a CPFC 5-0 flag at Euro 2004. You should've done the decent thing and tacked some sort of Falmer banner on there.

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
perth seagull said:
I remember a CPFC 5-0 flag at Euro 2004. You should've done the decent thing and tacked some sort of Falmer banner on there.
why would we wanna do that?

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
HAHA dont think so. we'll share with a local team. millwall/charlton. i think if the worse comes to the worst SJ will just buy the stadium

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
This is a day in the life of a Brighton fan on that great day. well done simster for being so honest, not sure whether you post on here or you use a different name.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, here's a treat for you - I'm going to indulge you with the tale of one of the most disastrous days in living memory as an Albion fan:

To be fair, that was the most embarrassing/hurtful/disastrous day I have endured as a Brighton & Hove Albion FC supporter. We'd even embarrassed ourselves before the match by failing to sell our 7,000 allocation. Only 5,500 were sold which is very poor, you can bet fans of little old Charlton will be WETTING themselves as they manage to fill their allocation this season if they're given these sort of numbers. But maybe the missing 1,500 were the smart ones, we had afterall up until then, lost eleven straight games - but clearly it was in the scripts that it would all be banished and forgotton about as we ended that run against the enemy, who we'd been too poor to even play against in a meaningful match for 13 years.

I should have known better when - having made it to my pre-match pub of choice to meet my mates at around 12.30pm - I arrived at the Falcon in Clapham Junction to find a dozen riot police at the entrance and being told that if I went in, I wouldn't be coming out again until they told us to do so. Ho hum, I thought. I had arranged to meet my mates in there so that was that. Sadly, it transpired the local "no surrender" gimps had invaded a corner of the pub and got into the spirit of things by smashing a window just before we were all frogmarched through the back of the pub and onto the train platform. Call me picky, but I don't enjoy being herded along with a bunch of chavs and frogmarched to the ground via a "special" train TWO HOURS before kick off.

The game kicked off and from the first minute we were awful. We were being overrun down the flanks, our midfield was non existent (no challenges whatsoever) and Kerry Mayo, a Brighton fan and stalwart from the darkest days of the club who must have longed to play in this match was being made to look like a fat, fat, pub team full-back. I'm only surprised I didn't hear him shout "AVE IT!" on the very rare occasions he had control of the ball.

Sure enough, Johnson couldn't be contained and after about 5 minutes he scored from a tap in that he couldn't miss. The marking was non-existent, it was like Johnson was invisible. There are boy scout teams who run after the ball like the Anthill Mob who look more organised than we did. 1-0.
Then came the biggest cheer of the day for Albion fans - Palace scored again. Well they did and they didn't you see. Your clown of an announcer thought they had, everybody else knew they hadn't. Marvellous. Just the sort of thing that would buoy up our crowd and get the Albion lads playing with a passion. So obviously you scored again from a header a few minutes later with the nearest Albion "player" about 6 yards from Johnson.

Zamora missed an absolute sitter when he found himself free and I think he had an empty net, but put it into the stand. Gash. So 2-0 at half time I think - the lads would be out to turn it round soon, they know that was unacceptable. And wouldn't you know, we nearly scored right at the beginning of the second half - but we didn't, and you went down the other end and got a penalty which was easily dispatched.

I can't remember much more besides wave after wave of Palace attacks. It was total mismatch, and then Gray scored a great goal with an angled drive and then someone missed a sitter for 6-0 and someone else blasted over when well placed. etc etc. To be honest I trying to get out after 63 minutes, I'd had enough. Except one particular pig twat was enjoying his opportunity to keep us hemmed in and was quite keen to start a fight when he prevented a 12 year old boy going for a p!ss in case he tried to leave the ground. What a gimp.

It was 7.45pm before I got home. I only live in Wimbledon. 5-0 and I couldn't go home, indeed. I wish I'd never left home on that morning.

I don't go to the footy that often these days now that I'm a dad to a toddler and a baby. Frankly I *really wish I hadn't bothered on this particular day. It was ruined by the burberry brigade, the police, the trains but most of all, the most gutless, embarrassing and feeble display I have ever witnessed by players who should have done better. We'd witnessed some awful "football" in recent times (all well documented being one of the league's worst 2 or 3 teams from 1996-1999) but you can understand the apathy of loan players turning out at Gillingham in front of 2,500 in a basement league encounter for a club based 75 miles away. But this was our biggest game in years, yes maybe even our "cup final". It was humiliating.

I console myself with the following thoughts:
* Personally, I really do hate Portsmouth a lot more than your lot. At least it didn't happen at Fratton. The fact that the clubs aren't even "main" rivals would - in a strange way - have made that even harder to bear.
* We won't play that badly at Selhurst Park next season when we play you.
* At least I don't look like the sad gimp who wears a Palace shellsuit top on his way to work, walking down Alexandra Road in Wimbledon.
* It's only a game, innit. (*seethes*)

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
eagles #1 said:
HAHA dont think so. we'll share with a local team. millwall/charlton. i think if the worse comes to the worst SJ will just buy the stadium

Blimey mate he has just spent all his dosh on a new watch. Has he got an understanding bank manager?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
eagles #1 said:
This is a day in the life of a Brighton fan on that great day. well done simster for being so honest, not sure whether you post on here or you use a different name.
I'm here alright. :rolleyes:

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Just checked my diary. There's a 25th and a 27th, but definitely no 26th anywhere to be seen.

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
i guess it would be a day of mourning instead of celebration for you guys. how insensitive of me, sorry:lolol:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
October 26,
Feast of Alfred the Great, King of the West Saxons, Scholar, 899
Commemoration of Cedd, Founding Abbot of Lastingham, Bishop of the East Saxons, 664

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Re: Re: October 26th Anniversary Thread!

DBS said:
Why would we celebrate, if you lot want to get together and celebrate then go for it what ever makes you happy. But remember what goes around comes around see you next season.:wave:
Another 0.0 draw then.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
I can`t see this one working eagels#1.
I think they are more worried about whats happening to them this season not what happened 2 years ago.
Still can always come on here on the 26th as a little reminder.
5.0 5.0 5.0 5.0 5.0 5.0 5.0 D. D. D. D. D. ANDY JOHNSON

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
oh i was only wondering how they were going to celebrate/mourn the great day they got beat by there rivals 5-0 after not playing them for 13 years? oh well:lolol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
That dougdeep bloke posts as much rubbish on their sight as he does on ours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here