Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I understand your point @Trevor - I was thinking more generally this season. It feels like there have been a lot of good attacks and/or disallowed goals against us this season. That might make it feel like we have had lucky escapes, whereas in fact it's a sign that our tactics are working (on the whole).

But the feeling as a spectator is that the opposition are doing better than they actually are. Just my take.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I understand your point @Trevor - I was thinking more generally this season. It feels like there have been a lot of good attacks and/or disallowed goals against us this season. That might make it feel like we have had lucky escapes, whereas in fact it's a sign that our tactics are working (on the whole).

But the feeling as a spectator is that the opposition are doing better than they actually are. Just my take.

I agree.

I think we are playing the offside trap well under FH.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

I think we are playing the offside trap well under FH.
That's an interesting perspective, and one which frankly, hadn't occurred to me.

I'm guessing that the offside stats will either confirm or deny your suspicions. but you may well have a point. Everton had 7 offsides against us; Newcastle and Spurs 4 apiece. We probably need to play more games to confirm any trend.

footystats.org captures offside stats, if anyone is interested.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
My thoughts on the match:
  • Brilliant finish by Welbz who just keeps getting better and better
  • Veltman is the master of gamesmanship, it was interesting to see his antics frustrate Gordon and others
  • Newcastle's Isaak looks like a totally different player from last season (i.e. last season he was a brilliant finisher, this game he was absolute garbage)
  • Gordon looks over rated, which doesn't bode well for England
  • Newcastle had a good spell in the first half but overall we were more than worth this victory. We had several chances to put this out of reach in the second half.
  • It was frustrating listening to the commentators on Optus Sport, who were totally biased towards Newcastle, claiming they should have taken their chances and should have won the game, while not giving any credit to us.
The jock co-commentator was Andy Walker. He played twice for Newcastle on loan in the 90's and fell deeply and eternally in love with them.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Giorginio and Welbz beginning to get a bit of a partnership together.

Is it unthinkable, that Joao Pedro will have to wait for his chance, once back fit?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Watching the highlights - and without getting into a Bart versus Jason debate - it made a nice change seeing an away keeper having an amazing day and it being an Albion one.

So many teams have come to the Amex in recent years and the keeper has looked unbeatable - it was about time the tables were turned!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Watching the highlights - and without getting into a Bart versus Jason debate - it made a nice change seeing an away keeper having an amazing day and it being an Albion one.

So many teams have come to the Amex in recent years and the keeper has looked unbeatable - it was about time the tables were turned!
This all day long.

So good to be on the right side of one of these

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Giorginio and Welbz beginning to get a bit of a partnership together.

Is it unthinkable, that Joao Pedro will have to wait for his chance, once back fit?
Yes, it is, fortunately. There's always the prospect of all three starting together, if you're determined that Rutter and Welbeck have to start.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Danny Welbeck has his own page on FB. He’s just posted this.

Still a bit sore, but after some extra checks and a scan today, I’m pleased to say I should be back in training soon, hopefully this week.

Thanks to our medical staff and Newcastle Royal Infirmary A&E for their care and professionalism. Also to the boys for waiting for me to get home!

Huge three points 💪🏿💙🤍

Wes Tupper

Feb 27, 2024
Anyone else notice the pre-match giant flag unraveling failure in the section below the away fans? They basically got the flag twisted in the centre, so that it looked like a giant bow-tie.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Still a bit sore, but after some extra checks and a scan today, I’m pleased to say I should be back in training soon, hopefully this week.

Thanks to our medical staff and Newcastle Royal Infirmary A&E for their care and professionalism. Also to the boys for waiting for me to get home!

Huge three points 💪🏿💙🤍
Brilliant news - thanks for posting TB 😍

Danny has become a very important player on and off the pitch this season so I’m sure the entire FH and the whole squad will be relieved - I know I am!

Jul 20, 2003

Huge three points 💪🏿💙🤍

James Milner's probably got a MySpace page.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Hmm.

This is true, but so did we (Dunk and Ferdi chances stand out for me).

One thing that might be skewing our perception of how many chances the oppo are getting is the number of offsides.

They are allowed to play on, even when offside. This means it feels like the opposition are having more clear cut chances than they really are. Lots of oohs and aahs but not legitimate goal scoring opportunities. The way we play will mean we're dealing with this all season.
Yes - I have been thinking this. There was one yesterday where Dunk and another slid in to make a great block - and then both looked a bit hurt. It was clearly offside - but lino didn't flag till after they had blocked the shot. So - it felt like a good chance; but wasn't.

That's an interesting perspective, and one which frankly, hadn't occurred to me.

I'm guessing that the offside stats will either confirm or deny your suspicions. but you may well have a point. Everton had 7 offsides against us; Newcastle and Spurs 4 apiece. We probably need to play more games to confirm any trend.

footystats.org captures offside stats, if anyone is interested.
Four feels lower than I thought! But there were also a couple or more where they were clearly offside, but because we ended up coming away with the ball, or it was a goal-kick, it wasn't given and so didn't count.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here