Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
It looks as if our manager has thrown in the towel before the game has even started. What a truly awful line up. Newcastle won't be at all bothered by that team.
For pities sake. Just think about it, we have so many players just back from traveling halfway around the world. It would be stupid to have all of those in the starting lineup. I don't know how much long-haul travel you have done, but from my perspective, it can take two weeks or more to get fully back to normal.

Last edited:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Christ on a bike, we haven't kicked off and the doom mongers are out banging saucepans
It must be frigging tiring to be like, no the glass isn't 3/4 full it's friggin empty we're f***ed. Btw you sad lot, we are fifth in the premier league 2 points off 3 place and nearly a quarter of the way through the season

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Went to the away game last year. 1-1. Thought it was quiet in comparison to what had been said of their atmosphere.
Yep, been there three times and the famous St James Park atmosphere, just like the famous Anfield atmosphere, is a total myth. Just like us, it's decent when the game's good, can be crackling at times, but often bang average like the rest of us

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Bugger. Which of our players are you?

1729405725186.png
1729405955318.png

Obviously

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Despite my Bedwetting after the Chelsea hammering, I fancied us to beat spurs and get something at Newcastle (although my sheets were soaked at half time Spurs!). Wolves next and the sort of game we'll struggle previously with but all in all we're going along nicely🙂
Some pretty impressive scalps under the belt already this season. It all looks to be heading in the right direction :clap2:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Just watched the highlights - it looks like we defended well? Is that right?
I thought we defended really well. Obviously rode our luck a bit in the first half, but I was very impressed how we continually made Newcastle just shuttle the ball out to the wings, and then put in hopeful crosses (which mostly were pretty crap). It seemed to me like an awful lot of prep had been done before the match, and everyone worked to the plan.

It was a huge relief to see that the "high line" had been temporarily abandoned (I'm sure it will reappear soon), and both full backs got a lot more support. St James' Park is NOT the place to play high risk attacking football (esp when most of your most dangerous players needed to recover after lengthy flights home). Looks like Hurzeler is learning fast :)

[Incidentally, if I was a Newcastle fan I'd have been incredibly pissed off....being presented with an opposition midfield comprising four guys with an average age of 20 without a huge amount of Premier League experience.....and letting them get the better of you! Although I admire the average Geordie's footballing knowledge, I'm sure a lot of them would have been thinking that Tonali, Joelinton and Guimaraes would run the show.]

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Never understood this saying… they are opposites… the saying used to be “firm but fair” or “hard but fair”. It is like “I could’ve cared less”. It doesn’t make any sense at all.

No offence, like.
For me, it falls into the same category as when someone repays a favour and brightly declares, “Oh, it’s the least I could do!”

If you’ve made the absolute minimum effort possible on my behalf, don’t rub it in afterwards ffs.

Always leaves me thinking, Well thanks a bunch. What’s the most you could’ve done? ****.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We did. We were very disjointed on the rest of the pitch . However the barcodes had enough chances.... Take the three points gladly and move on
Hmm.

This is true, but so did we (Dunk and Ferdi chances stand out for me).

One thing that might be skewing our perception of how many chances the oppo are getting is the number of offsides.

They are allowed to play on, even when offside. This means it feels like the opposition are having more clear cut chances than they really are. Lots of oohs and aahs but not legitimate goal scoring opportunities. The way we play will mean we're dealing with this all season.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
For me, it falls into the same category as when someone repays a favour and brightly declares, “Oh, it’s the least I could do!”

If you’ve made the minimum effort possible on my behalf, don’t rub it in afterwards ffs.

Always leaves me thinking, Well thanks a bunch. What’s the most you could’ve done? ****.
Thanks for replying.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was teeing you up to say “it’s the least I could do” so I could call you a ****…

That’s shagged that then
Well if you can’t be bothered to book a rehearsal room it’s hardly my fault ffs.

Let’s take it from Thanks for replying…

It’s the least I could do! :thumbsup:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
It must be frigging tiring to be like, no the glass isn't 3/4 full it's friggin empty we're f***ed. Btw you sad lot, we are fifth in the premier league 2 points off 3 place and nearly a quarter of the way through the season

Isn't it just tiring. I don't even think we are playing particularly well in places, but yesterday we took the full 3 points...and we are in 5th...

Just incredible how people can be so negative....5th people!!! 5th in the Premier League!! Outstanding!!

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Hmm.

This is true, but so did we (Dunk and Ferdi chances stand out for me).

One thing that might be skewing our perception of how many chances the oppo are getting is the number of offsides.

They are allowed to play on, even when offside. This means it feels like the opposition are having more clear cut chances than they really are. Lots of oohs and aahs but not legitimate goal scoring opportunities. The way we play will mean we're dealing with this all season.
There was the obvious offside. I just checked the stats , barcodes 21 shots to our 10. As I say we did defend well. Until we scored I felt we were most likely going to lose. Certainly Newcastle had the best of the first half excepting the most important stat - goals. We improved a little second half , I think both sides thought it would likely be our day as time went on. I thought the defensive substitution when Welbeck went off was shrewd. But I stick with my original thoughts. Had I been a Newcastle fan I would have been livid about the wasted chances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here