Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
I personally think it's been a gritty performance against a good team at home. We don't look particularly phased so far and they haven't really had any clear cut chances. We have defended really well and managed to get a lead. Hopefully we can keep our heads, bring on Mitoma and give a booked Hall and BDB something to worry about as they no doubt press forward.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Embaressed not to be 3-0 down. Possibly one of the worst halves of football I have ever seen us play. Some may point to us being 1 up, but I really would not want to play like this week in, week out.

I only hope we do what we did against Spurs and have a half time epiphany.
I don't think we've played badly - just 'differently' that we're used to. We've coped with them quite well.

Huh?

What was that?!

I can't remember us ever being in the situation of being so far second best but having the lead. I've seen it plenty of times against us but when was the last time we were battered but scored from our only chance?

I'm liking the fact that we look at least half way defensively competent for a change and that most of our goal kicks are going long. I'd very much like us to have more of the ball and to look better with it in the second half.

But overall I'm just a bit flummoxed by that first half. The least Brighton performance I've seen in a number of years.
We've done this at St James' Park before. There was our first away win in years when Murray went off with his head injury in that run of three 1-0 wins under Hughton. And back in the 80's there was one game against them where I think we scored from a corner in the first few minutes - spent the rest of the game in out own box, then scored again in the last few minutes.

Light_Bulb

Aug 20, 2024
We’re very, very lucky not to be significantly behind. Absolute smash and grab.

What worries me is that we look tactically clueless in the middle of the park.

I just don’t get why we constantly want to hang onto the ball and dribble past everyone.

Kadioglu, Ferguson and Hinshelwood look lost. Igor keeps giving it away.

The positives are that we’re winning, so Newcastle have to come after us - which should play into our hands. Especially given the pace we’ve got on the bench.

I’d really like us to just get hold of the ball and keep it in the middle of the park.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
That was great, for all the moaning on here Newcastle’s xG that half was only 0.6ish. We’re set up to play narrow and deep - let’s hope we keep our discipline and pick them off on the break this half.

Haven’t seen us play like this since Hughton’s last year

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
So I did some research on this co-commentator. Some guy called Andy Walker who played two games on loan for Newcastle in 1991?! Yet he apparently feels this passionately about them?!

Interesting thread on him here, with this standout comment :lolol:

IMG_0089.jpeg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We've established neither of our centre backs are very good at shooting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here