Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Is the answer distract everyone's attention away from Wellbeck's dreadful miss?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is the answer distract everyone's attention away from Wellbeck's dreadful miss?

& Solly's.

No I think the answer is:-

At the moment I can't argue about the manager, team, tactics and results but I need to explain my urine soaked knickers.
Oh thank god Warren is being an unprofessional clickbait deva, I can join his witch-hunt.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thinking about Maupay going forward, and forgetting this waving nonsense (btw - he always does in the warm down session)…..

IMO - this was always going to be a big season for Maupay, and whilst again (IMO), he works hard when he plays, has he done enough to remain next season? Is he able to step up further or is this his peak?

Thoughts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thinking about Maupay going forward, and forgetting this waving nonsense (btw - he always does in the warm down session)…..

IMO - this was always going to be a big season for Maupay, and whilst again (IMO), he works hard when he plays, has he done enough to remain next season? Is he able to step up further or is this his peak?

Thoughts.

I think he's nearly done enough but as much as he's 'failed' himself he's really been let down by those around him.
Trossard and the rest of the midfield all but disappeared around him.
As did set piece goals and striking partners.

As much as he hasn't played his hand well, I think he really was dealt some shite cards.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think he's nearly done enough but as much as he's 'failed' himself he's really been let down by those around him.

As much as he hasn't played his hand well, I think he really was dealt some shite cards.

Good points, but is that because physically, he struggles. Shorter players potentially make a team very one dimensional and easier to defend against.

Whilst Welbeck missed a sitter at the end, would that style of ball even been an option with Maupay?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Ah, but there’s the rub. Did Trossard et al not perform because Neal was playing and because he has a very different style to Wellbeck?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's the question I knew was coming straight back because it's very fair.

Sadly though Welbeck keeps proving he's not quite the answer either, although he does appear to be the blueprint going forward.

For me the dream is for Maupay to play with less pressure, then see where he's at.
I do have the nagging doubt, but as said I'm not sure now is the time to make that call.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's the question I knew was coming straight back because it's very fair.

Sadly though Welbeck keeps proving he's not quite the answer either, although he does appear to be the blueprint going forward.

For me the dream is for Maupay to play with less pressure, then see where he's at.
I do have the nagging doubt, but as said I'm not sure now is the time to make that call.

Unfortunately there are going to be lots of ifs over the coming close season and until the end of the transfer window.

IF Wellbeck is retained and IF he can stay fit and IF we can retain Bissouma’s services and IF Mwepu can stay clear of injuries and IF Mac Allister and Caicedo continue to perform to their recent level, then IF all these things happen simultaneously then we could possibly do without Maupay’s services.

Oh, I forgot another IF in Undav.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unfortunately there are going to be lots of ifs over the coming close season and until the end of the transfer window.

IF Wellbeck is retained and IF he can stay fit and IF we can retain Bissouma’s services and IF Mwepu can stay clear of injuries and IF Mac Allister and Caicedo continue to perform to their recent level, then IF all these things happen simultaneously then we could possibly do without Maupay’s services.

If Welbeck is retained we can rinse and repeat in 12 months time.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You can smell the beer on the breathe of some of the post match comment yesterday.

It isn't 1982 any more, where you have a squad of about 13 players. I hope we manage to find at least one more striker over the summer, so that Maupay has to absolutely work his socks off to get onto the pitch and make an impact and that it pushes him to new heights.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Here's me probably reading to much into a quote again, but the last sentence of Welbeck's post match interview has made me do exactly that, he's staying :lolol:

"when we look back at the season it is our record for points for the season. We want to build on that and improve"

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Good points, but is that because physically, he struggles. Shorter players potentially make a team very one dimensional and easier to defend against.

Whilst Welbeck missed a sitter at the end, would that style of ball even been an option with Maupay?

Possibly not, and whilst we may well compare Maupay and Welbeck's overall play, we could also compare their goal returns:

Welbeck: 5 goals in 24 apps - 1 goal every 5 games
Maupay: 8 goals in 31 apps - 1 goal every 4 games

Neither are that great, but I think there's a recency bias on Welbeck and to an extent Trossard. Maupay was superb for the first 4-5 months of the season an has had a poor second half of the season. Welbeck and Trossard were either injured or patchy at best until late-Feb/March, then both have found their best form. Over the whole season, their contributions are similar but the timing works against Maupay. If he hadn't been in form when we needed him then, we wouldn't be where we are now. It's a team game and Maupay has played a very big part in us getting our highest points total ever.

Has he done enough to stay next season? Absolutely.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That this wonderful manimal was allowed to finish the season thinking "I really made a difference" feels pretty damn good and well deserved.

Jul 20, 2003
Had both teams to score and both teams to get a booking so he's alright by me :)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
1-0 down at HT and we bring Maupay on. We finish the match as 3-1 winners and it probably should have been more.

West Ham players and fans rattled, Maupay signals 2-1 to the unhappy Hammers.

Job done I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here