Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Musical Street Map

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Now - I never knew that, yet must have listened to it hundreds of times. And what an apt place for the street nameplate!

Good job that pole was there or the bloke putting up the sign would have been left in.... awful circumstances. (There must be a better way of putting that).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yes*. Same as every Springsteen song mentions car racing and factory workers 😉

*No.
And girls names. Springsteen always chucks in a Mary, Janey or Wendy.

Did you mean Liverpool Streets? I can think of some of those, but only an album that mentions a London Street.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And girls names.

Did you mean Liverpool Streets? I can think of some of those, but only an album that mentions a London Street.
I’ve really no ideas was just messing about. Not a fan of the Beatles. But I don’t think they’re bad either. Just not my thing.

Flounce

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2006
Penny Lane - The Beatles
Simon and Garfunkel 59th Street Bridge Song
Warwick Avenue - Duffy

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
In the same vein of it not existing as an actuality, and possibly not really being about a road as such.

And with regard to that track, and possibly to derail the thread - Lauren Laverne's playlist in January this year was dedicated to songs about 'paths, streets, and so on'. I sent in the following - didn't get chosen though.

Dear Lauren

As a Public Rights of Way Officer, charged with ‘asserting and protecting the public’s rights to use and enjoy’ the type of paths you have mentioned – you can understand my interest in what people will be suggesting for today’s playlist. I and my colleagues have come up with quite a selection, but the trouble is, whenever two or more Rights of Way Officers discuss anything we get sidetracked by the esoteric minutiae of the titles / lyrics and whether they do fully apply, what is an actual obstruction as in the BBC article prompting the playlist, and your use yesterday of the term ‘footway’ in relation to these routes, as a ‘footway’ has a specific legal meaning!

Anyway, the upshot is that I am submitting ‘Road to Nowhere’ by Talking Heads. Partly because it’s what a blocked path effectively is (and what I am here to try and prevent), and partly because it gives us lot an opportunity to discuss whether a ‘footpath’ is a ‘road’ (yes – in some instances!). But mainly because it’s an excellent track, and given that I haven’t made a request on the radio since I was on BBC Radio Brighton’s ‘Cabbages and Kings’ schools programme in 1972 – I need to make it worthwhile.

Happy wandering.

Bodian

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How about Fannin Street, which has been recorded twice - but they're two different songs.

The Tom Waits one is about Fannin St in Houston and the Leadbelly one is about Fannin St in Shreveport, Louisiana. And, yes, they both exist.

(I must confess, I didn't know the Leadbelly one, I found out when I was checking whether TW's street was real or not)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Regent St, Leicester Square and Carnaby St (Carnabetian)

and I know it's not a song, but Kilburn and the High Roads ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
and I know it's not a song, but Kilburn and the High Roads ?
Likewise....
1728059140760.png

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
75008 Paris

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here