Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Microsoft Joke

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
A jobless man applied for the position of "office boy" at Microsoft. The HR manager interviewed him then watched him cleaning the floor as a test. "You are hired" he said. "Give me your e-mail address and I'll send you the confirmation letter, as well as your start date".

The man replied "But I don't have a computer, neither an email."

"I'm sorry", said the HR manager, "If you don't have an email, that means you do not exist. And who doesn't exist, cannot have the job."

The man left with no hope at all. He didn't know what to do, with only $10 in his pocket. He then decided to go to the supermarket and buy a 10Kg tomato crate. He then sold the tomatoes in a door to door round. In less than two hours, he succeeded to double his capital. He repeated the operation three times, and returned home with $60. The man realized that he can survive by this way, and started to go everyday earlier, and return late. Thus, his money doubled or tripled everyday.

Shortly, he bought a cart, then a truck, then he had his own fleet of delivery vehicles. 5 years later, the man is one of the biggest food retailers in the US. He started to plan his family's future, and decided to have a life insurance. He called an insurance broker, and chose a protection plan.

When the conversation was concluded, the broker asked him his email. The man replied, "I don't have an email."

"You don't have an email, and yet have succeeded to build an empire. Can you imagine what you could have been if you had an email?!!" the astonished broker said.

The man thought for a while. "Yes, I'd be an office boy at Microsoft!"

Morals of the story
M1- Internet /email is not the solution to your life.
M2- If you don't have internet / email /and spend time on NSC, and work hard, you can be a millionaire.
M3 If you are reading this on NSC, you are probably already an office boy/girl, and not any closer to being a billionaire.

P.S - Do not PM me. I'm closing my NSC Account & going to sell tomatoes!

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
You might have a good memory but don't think your maths stacks up.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
It's a joke.:)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
at no point does it say that the man reinvests *all* of his capital - it states he spends $10, doubles his capital and repeats twice. (10x2)x3=60.

And this joke simply would not have worked in 1994, Microsoft dismissedthe internet and email until the late 90's.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Can we just drawn a line under this.

The joke is crap.. debating it is crap.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
beorhthelm said:
at no point does it say that the man reinvests *all* of his capital - it states he spends $10, doubles his capital and repeats twice. (10x2)x3=60.

And this joke simply would not have worked in 1994, Microsoft dismissedthe internet and email until the late 90's.

"Record created on 02-May-1991."

Microsoft got their first domain in 1991. They were known to have email issued to staff by 1993.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group..._doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#0d9ffd590e22ba4d is a USENET post from a microsoft.com adress in 1993.

IE 1.0 came out in 1995. They had already accepted the internet before the 1990's was halfway through, not the "late 1990's"

Apple however got on the 'net in 1987....

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mr Hairy

Bet you wished you hadn't bothered! :lolol:

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
mrhairy said:

The man left with no hope at all. He didn't know what to do, with only $10 in his pocket. He then decided to go to the supermarket and buy a 10Kg tomato crate. He then sold the tomatoes in a door to door round. In less than two hours, he succeeded to double his capital. He repeated the operation three times, and returned home with $60. The man realized that he can survive by this way, and started to go everyday earlier, and return late. Thus, his money doubled or tripled everyday.

$10 doubled is $20

repeat 3 times

20-10+20-10-20-10+20 = 50, not 60

Do the maths :dunce:

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Buzza said:
Mr Hairy

Bet you wished you hadn't bothered! :lolol:

Yep. I think the point of the joke was to get a life. Need I say more.:lolol:

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
Re: Re: Re: Microsoft Joke

MYOB said:
You can also get 80 or 160, all down to how you read it. Never 60 though.

The fact it says

"He repeated the operation 3 times"

and the only operation he had performed was $10 worth, means I am correct

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Re: Re: Re: Re: Microsoft Joke

Kaney said:
The fact it says

"He repeated the operation 3 times"

and the only operation he had performed was $10 worth, means I am correct

Wasn't saying you were wrong. Was saying that whatever way you look at it, $60 is wrong.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
mrhairy said:
Yep. I think the point of the joke was to get a life. Need I say more.:lolol:

I'll never be a millionaire as I do NSC :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well on the brighter side neither will Mrhairy, Buzza, Ernest, Biscuit, Roz, Lord Bracknell, Yorkie etc...................

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
:rolleyes:

1995 was also the year Gates claimed the internet was a passing fad and unimportant. Before performing one of the greatest u-turns in corporate history. In 1995 the internet was Compuserve and AOL style closed environments that bore more similarities to the old Bullitin Boards than the www as we know it today. But then you'd know that. Also, Windows 95 was original released sans IE.

In 1995, when i was at college doing computer science, it would have been *un*usuall for people to have a computer at home, let alone internet connectivity and email. In fact im not believe i had an email address untill 1997.

Point is, unless your telling the joke in f***ing CERN, that joke whould not have been funny in 1994 as no-one would have got it. In fact i dont think it makes a joke until after the Dot.com bubble.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
In 1995 I moved from IEUNET to Ireland On Line as my ISP. Both were General Internet ISP's, no AOL stylee lockins. Sure, IOL had its own IRC servers, usenet, etc, but it did give you real internet access

1995 was the year Hotmail went beta, the year 28.8 modems became common, etc. The Internet was already relatively big, and IT businesses would have expected people for going for real jobs, not nessacerily the mailboy type job the joke is about, to have net access and a mil adress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here