Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man Ure v Athletic Bilbao

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Iker Muniain's going to be a pretty special player. Considering the restrictions on who they can sign, that's an impressive side.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anybody watch Bilboa thinking this is the blueprint of how Gus would like us to play? A lot of similarities I thought, fantastic to watch. They've got to be favourites to win the whole thing.

Spoon

May 31, 2009
Just got back from the game, got a cheap ticket because I'm at Manchester uni. Bilbao were so good and reminded me partly of the Albion in some ways, with their slick passing and patient approach. They were singing around town at 3pm this afternoon and didn't stop all game and the typical European frantic scarf waving was a special sight.

Muniain is very good, as is Llorente and Javi Martinez. They deserved to win by more than one goal. Had a great seat near the front and Vamos Bilbao!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bilbao were fantastic to watch, their fans were terrific. English football is a long way behind the Spanish game if that was a normal Bilbao performance.

Note to Gus: Get some more Spaniards in!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
As Gary Neville said a few weeks ago, English defences are shite this year and you're never going to get far in Europe with a shit defence.

That last minute penalty has kept United in it. Looking forward to second leg

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Great to see a team from Spain stay on their feet for 90mins instead of rolling around in agony after the slightest of touches.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Great to see a team from Spain stay on their feet for 90mins instead of rolling around in agony after the slightest of touches.

Exactly this, how refreshing it was to watch a continental team play a British style game of pace and pressure, but with added European skill and flair.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Fantastic performance. It was like watching Barcelona at their best. Shows how much quality there is in the Spanish league.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bilbao are 30 points behind Real in La Liga.
Yep, I checked that table after the game to see how good they are and they are 5th on 37

1. Real Madrid 67 85:21
2 Barcelona 57 73:19
3 Valencia 43 38:29
4 Levante 38 37:36
5 Athletic Bilbao 37 41:32

One thing baffles me about Spanish teams. Cultutrally, they don't really do away support in their domestic league, yet they clearly do travel in numbers for European matches. Why the disparity?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
One thing baffles me about Spanish teams. Cultutrally, they don't really do away support in their domestic league, yet they clearly do travel in numbers for European matches. Why the disparity?

There's a lot of Tapas bars in MCR

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Yep, I checked that table after the game to see how good they are and they are 5th on 37

1. Real Madrid 67 85:21
2 Barcelona 57 73:19
3 Valencia 43 38:29
4 Levante 38 37:36
5 Athletic Bilbao 37 41:32

I think it may not be that many actual travelling fans, but fans based in the UK (in this case), that make sure they go to watch when their team comes over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here