Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man.City vs Man.Utd

Fergie patting the ref on the back - sickening.

He probably just said "you know you were in a match there" or "I don't envy you for being in that one" or something.
But you know it would likely have been a red-faced tirade if manure hadn't won it.

Good match for the neutrals though, and for me, well refereed.

Funny how the pundits are all such great refs, claiming there was a handball by United when the ball came off the defender's chest - the replay showed it first hit his leg, then bounced off the turf to his shoulder, so another good decision in not giving a game-changing wrong decision.

It's not that common to be able to say a referee was quality, but I certainly didn't see much* wrong with his adjudication.

Ferguson's take on it, that his player would have been certainly due an injury from the 2-footed tackle was a bit ott, he wanted to suggest it was 'ott' over the top as well, but refrained on second thoughts.
*Ferdinand could have been sent off, as last man committing a desperate definite foul - that didn't get mentioned.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
*Ferdinand could have been sent off, as last man committing a desperate definite foul - that didn't get mentioned.

It's not about being the last man, it's about denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. (Not seen the incident, so that may still apply).

D

Deleted member 18477

Great game! MOM was Milner (engine) and Carrick (calmness) for me today!

Phil jones had another shocker! Rash!

Scholes took 5 mins to get his passing going. Class. Mr possession!

Richards was a tank as usual! England's RB please postman pat!

Ref had a shocker!! Useless!

As for Nasri... bench warmer at best for citeh, although 150k a week for 4 yrs? Trophies that other players will win you? Hmm! Apart from that should have stayed at the Arse!

Last edited by a moderator:

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
Today I went to watch this game instead of going to the Amex yesterday(bad fan)

3 things
the man u fans are the biggest set of sing when your winning fans ever as soon as it went 1-3 they were silent, city only made noise when it went 2-3 it makes me realise how good our home atmosphere, it's important we keep it going

A Man City season ticket is 75 quid cheper than my 1 at the Amex

Referees at any level in this country are an embarrassment, it's time for change

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Today I went to watch this game instead of going to the Amex yesterday(bad fan)

3 things
the man u fans are the biggest set of sing when your winning fans ever as soon as it went 1-3 they were silent, city only made noise when it went 2-3 it makes me realise how good our home atmosphere, it's important we keep it going

A Man City season ticket is 75 quid cheper than my 1 at the Amex

Referees at any level in this country are an embarrassment, it's time for change

We saw that at the cup final replay regarding Man U fans. No change there then.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Feb 14, 2010
Another game decided by the ref. Sendings offs and penalties as game changing decisions should go to a 3rd ref using the tv. For the sake of good governance it is needed now. Too many games are changed by penalties and sendings off now. In fact its ot to such a stage that Im losing interest in football

It's not about being the last man, it's about denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. (Not seen the incident, so that may still apply).

Correct, but often a player facing the goal, impeded like he was by Ferdinand might be considered as a possible goalscorer.
Many refs would see it that way I believe - but yes, you are right to suggest that as a reason there wasn't a red card shown

Another game decided by the ref. Sendings offs and penalties as game changing decisions should go to a 3rd ref using the tv. For the sake of good governance it is needed now. Too many games are changed by penalties and sendings off now. In fact its ot to such a stage that Im losing interest in football

I genuinely do not understand what the ref did wrong, and feel genuine pity for them on occasion, as they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The only person to blame for 'deciding the game' was Kompany for committing a two footed challenge.

Here's a genuine question for those that think he got the sending off wrong - would you have said the same thing if he'd caught Nani on the ankle?

Feb 14, 2010
I genuinely do not understand what the ref did wrong, and feel genuine pity for them on occasion, as they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The only person to blame for 'deciding the game' was Kompany for committing a two footed challenge.

Here's a genuine question for those that think he got the sending off wrong - would you have said the same thing if he'd caught Nani on the ankle?

I saw it, he got the ball. Either way the point I make is not about this game. Results in football turns more and more on what decision a ref makes. Sendings off and penalties have ruined this season. We also must look at the problems with gambling and that there are two cricketers in jail at the moment. Game changing decisions like penalties and sendings off should only be made by more than one person so to reduce the risk. I suggest the ref calls a sending off or penalty and the tv ref then confirms or overturns it.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I saw it, he got the ball. Either way the point I make is not about this game. Results in football turns more and more on what decision a ref makes. Sendings off and penalties have ruined this season. We also must look at the problems with gambling and that there are two cricketers in jail at the moment. Game changing decisions like penalties and sendings off should only be made by more than one person so to reduce the risk. I suggest the ref calls a sending off or penalty and the tv ref then confirms or overturns it.

I get the wider point you are making about decisions that affect the game. I also agree that key decisions need longer scrutiny, win assistance by others. However, as the laws of the game are worded, do you accept that the referee acted consistently with them? After all, since 2005, whether a player wins the ball or not with the kind of challenge Kompany made has no bearing on whether it is a red card offence or not.

Feb 14, 2010
I get the wider point you are making about decisions that affect the game. I also agree that key decisions need longer scrutiny, win assistance by others. However, as the laws of the game are worded, do you accept that the referee acted consistently with them? After all, since 2005, whether a player wins the ball or not with the kind of challenge Kompany made has no bearing on whether it is a red card offence or not.

I saw it a couple of times and then turned over as it was yet another game was ruined by a sending off or a penalty. I understand what you are saying but he didnt go through the back of him, it was not dangerous. However there is another wider point. Even with referring game changing decisions, you cant stop a player trying to deliberately get sent off, although you could make the suspensions longer. Game changing decisions are ruining football and we have to cast a wary eye now that sportsmen are in jail and footballers have admitted kicking the ball out of play.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Watching the highlights, awful lot of shirt badge kissing by Utd probably under orders from Sir Alex

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Taggart is a Jedi Master. He knows that him going up and being all pal-y with the ref after the game winds everyone up. I'm more incensed with that scouse twat Rooney for getting Kompany sent off.

And then kissing the badge? You're an Everton fan you nob and you're going to be sold in the summer. What a pillock.

Just to re-ignite this, the picture on the Guardian article about his appeal being turned down certainly doesn't make it look like a mistake from the ref. Looks very worthy of a red card IMHO.

Vincent Kompany to serve four-match ban after red card appeal is rejected | Football | guardian.co.uk
Vincent-Kompany-005.jpg

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just to re-ignite this, the picture on the Guardian article about his appeal being turned down certainly doesn't make it look like a mistake from the ref. Looks very worthy of a red card IMHO.

Vincent Kompany to serve four-match ban after red card appeal is rejected | Football | guardian.co.uk
Vincent-Kompany-005.jpg

If the Milijas one was turned down the other day, then this one stood no-chance, it was worse (no necessrily as red card i my book, but was comparatively worse to that one) - however, wasn't as bad as Lampards one last week which only got a yellow. not surprising the managers get frustrated with consistency like that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Vincent-Kompany-005.jpg

It really is no surprise, I posted a link the other day which showed that if you are charged with anything or appeal against a card, to the FA, you have a 00.5% chance of getting it rescinded.

drew

Drew
NSC Patron
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Vincent-Kompany-005.jpg

Right because the Guardian are going to pick a still that reflects what actually happened. He slid in and took the ball. His studs were not high at the point of when he connected with the ball. Shouldn't have been sent off and probably wouldn't have been had Rooney not done a Ronaldo!

Right because the Guardian are going to pick a still that reflects what actually happened. He slid in and took the ball. His studs were not high at the point of when he connected with the ball. Shouldn't have been sent off and probably wouldn't have been had Rooney not done a Ronaldo!

What do you mean? Are you trying to claim that isn't a photo of the sending off offence? The picture clearly shows that he was not in control of his challenge, therefore it was dangerous.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Rubbish - do you really think the ref thought "oh, hang on Wazza thinks it should be red, so off he goes", I don't think it works like that. He wasn't in control, would have broken Nanis leg if he hadn't jumped out the way - end of. I admit, it didn't look particularly bad in real-time from where the camera was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here