Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Line of Duty

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes thanks,
I was really impressed by this episode and even though I'm late to the party,I saw a few things that said to me that the investigation is far from over.
I will have to watch from the beginning now.

A young agile brain will help in recalling the deluge of character names and their interconnections. The list builds remorselessly through the series.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
A young agile brain will help in recalling the deluge of character names and their interconnections. The list builds remorselessly through the series.

Yes,I got the impression from all the mugshots on the office wall that there had been more than just a few persons of interest.
I felt kind of glad that I had jumped in with a fresh pair of eyes at this point of proceedings.
I have to watch from the beginning now to confirm if my suspicions are correct about what I saw this evening.
I can see how people have got so into this.
It really gets the old brain cells ticking over.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes thanks,
I was really impressed by this episode and even though I'm late to the party,I saw a few things that said to me that the investigation is far from over.
I will have to watch from the beginning now.

The theory in this household is that the Anna Maxwell-Martin character has been “turned” by Hastings and will quietly take up the cause on his behalf, with Kate on her team..... and maybe Steve if he sorts the medical thing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The theory in this household is that the Anna Maxwell-Martin character has been “turned” by Hastings and will quietly take up the cause on his behalf, with Kate on her team..... and maybe Steve if he sorts the medical thing.

Hastings is appealing his forced retirement.

I think and hope he’s part of it too. Perhaps a surprise entrant a couple of episodes in?

May 5, 2020
Sussex

Yes I thought something similar except I felt that Hastings and Anna Maxwell Martin both have some knowledge about what is really going on,but not from speaking to each other directly,most likely from another source who is briefing them both separately.
So they both know ,that they both know,without actually saying they both know.(if that makes sense)
Whatever is going on ,Hastings has dropped all the turd in her part of the camp so it will be interesting to see how she deals with that.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Given the massive ratings this series has reportedly gathered, what was everybody watching when the earlier (to be blunt, much better) series came out?

Still liked it, even if pretty much nothing of interest happened in the last episode. Makes a change from the last episode of a Mercurio series being resolved by everybody running around shooting at one another though.

It clearly said Buckells wasn’t the last corrupt individual but was protected by higher ups. Ted explicitly said this. The point is that corruption is structural and ongoing, not a result of the dull one/few bad apple usual narrative. It was a clever, powerful and thought provoking ending

Sarisbury Seagull

Solly March Fan Club
NSC Patron
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Using that logic for football, no-one would be allowed an opinion on the players unless they were a player.

No that’s not the same. Mercurio is a writer, this whole thing is his world and brainchild, he can write what he likes. You can say you don’t like it but can’t say it was wrong and should have been more entertaining.

Besides, it’s so predictable, this happens with so many mega popular series, the finale always disappoints lots of people because they build it up to something it can’t ever be and come up with all sorts of far fetched predictions which never happen.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Mercurio can write what he wants though. As I said, this whole series was inspired by real life events. Try and write your own entertaining drama then and see how you get on?

Was that bit where a dieing man signalled with morse code that there were four ring leaders in the OCG infiltration of the police in the original true story?

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No that’s not the same. Mercurio is a writer, this whole thing is his world and brainchild, he can write what he likes. You can say you don’t like it but can’t say it was wrong and should have been more entertaining.

Besides, it’s so predictable, this happens with so many mega popular series, the finale always disappoints lots of people because they build it up to something it can’t ever be and come up with all sorts of far fetched predictions which never happen.

I think a lot of people feel a little duped. We have been built up by the writer to expect the unexpected. That’s a large part of why the series is so popular. To then claim (as others on this thread have done) that it’s actually realism that is important seems a bit weak. At the end of the day it is a drama competing with other dramas and if it has been overhyped that is the fault of the writer himself and the BBC, not the consumers of the drama. I really enjoyed the first couple of series but am not going to keep watching just to hear sanctimonious twaddle about corruption being endemic. If I wanted that I would watch a documentary. Not everybody watches a drama simply because it confirms some pre existing political prejudice such as, in this case, police corruption.

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Looking at Davidson in her idyllic stone cottage in the woods, donning her pristine Icelandic knitwear (costs a bomb) and canoodling with that fit redhead made witness protection look wonderfully glamorous.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey - a load of wannabe writers on here who know they can do better than someone who has gripped them and the nation for 6 series. Enjoyed the finale (albeit not spectacular and certainly not the best of the series) but it's in keeping with the state of the world in that the useless bumbling one somehow finds himself in charge and any attempt at weeding out corruption has never been weaker.

Agreed. Yes it was easily the 'worst' final episode in terms of dramatic resolution, but it was actually very clever. All the while we were thinking that 'H' was some criminal mastermind controlling his evil empire from a high-tech lair like some Bond villain - and he turned out to be bumbling moron who was at best just a fixer and a go-between linking various gangs. One could argue that it was good that it wasn't all neatly wrapped up: "Oh look it was the Chief Constable after all! Now they've cleaned up all the corruption!" Life doesn't work like that, it isn't all neat packages and nicely tied-up loose ends, and the downbeat ending, whilst somewhat unsatisfying, was at least different. I'm not sure if I want another series or not.

Those of us of a certain age who remember 'The Prisoner' will remember the debate was always about who was 'Number One'. In the end it was never revealed and at the time we all felt cheated, but later we realised that there was no individual as 'Number One', it was just a concept.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here