Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] La Liga game in Miami

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Global game innit, money talks, too late to close the barn door now.

Bring on the Global Super League and be done with it all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So we could potentially cede home advantage to play Liverpool or Man City in downtown Detroit.

Yeah. Great.

*slow handclap*
Border patrol permitting, @Insel affe and myself will be there like a shot! I loved Detroit when I went.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Border patrol permitting, @Insel affe and myself will be there like a shot! I loved Detroit when I went.
I'm sure it would be a fun afternoon out for the likes of yourselves and a few curious Americans who happen to be nearby. But at what cost ? By taking a game overseas you are effectively warping the competition, being as somebody has to sacrifice their home advantage.

Its going to happen at some point though, money in the end will always dictate. I can see one whole weekend of EPL games being shipped over to the US, and played over Friday - Monday, all games showcased on Amazon Prime, ESPN and Disney or something.

Just another aspect of our game being lobbed away and sacrificed on the all-consuming alter of $$$$$.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A pedant writes: unlikely, as Detroit City's stadium is smaller than 'the' Withdean and isn't downtown.
Ford Field ? Home of the Detroit Lions, a domed stadium, holds about 65k. Doesn't sound much like Withdean to me.

And Wiki says it is downtown 🤷‍♂️

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure it would be a fun afternoon out for the likes of yourselves and a few curious Americans who happen to be nearby. But at what cost ?
Few hundreds/thousand for the flight and then 4-5 days of dining….2-3k?

Can’t wait to post a photo of the world’s biggest Caesar salad.

Lostgull

Mar 16, 2019
I can't really see it heavily reported in the Spanish press. In fact, the only article I can see from Marca yesterday says that the option to play there is not at an advanced stage.

One thing that unfortunately may help this is that Barcelona are currently away from the Camp Nou due to renovations and the uptake for season passes at the Olympic stadium has not been high. If the locals aren't going anyway, they'll care less where it's being played.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
US is nothing, in 30 years El Clasico will be played on Mars.

More seriously, nothing new, Tebas has pushed to play La Liga game in Murica for years. Personally not a fan but I think it's inevitable. And from Barca's perspective I think this is the last chance the club will accept a home league game played abroad. When we return to Camp Nou don't see that happen again in near future. Club will earn more playing in the States than at Montjuic. Home support at the Estadi Olympic (while a bit better due to a good start of the season compared to last season) is nothing special either and I'm sure majority of the fans in Miami would be on Barca's side.

Timing just before a Christmas break is also fine. Wouldn't want to play in Miami and then have another league game three days later but with two weeks off that's better.

We also played a friendly in Dallas around the same time last year so mid-season travel to US wouldn't be anything new but ofc Xavi left most of the starters at home for that game vs Club America.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
I think it is La Liga’s response to The Premier League being the most popular league in the World from a commercial perspective and they feel they need to do something to gain extra exposure and revenue as they are losing out. That’s not to say some soccerball team may want implement it here one day.
Yep, totally agreee with this.

Also Premier league games will be played in the US at some point for sure. The NFL send some god awful teams overseas on a yearly basis and they always sell out. The same will happen in the USA. I mean Fulham v Brentford had 40,000 at a pre season game last summer in Philly.
Even though it won't be the likes of Wolves v Ipswich/ Palace v Bournemouth.
As long as you have Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Newcastle, Spurs, Chelsea, United, even Villa as one of the teams and put it in a 'soccer' loving city like Seattle/ Atlanta they could be playing Accrington Stanley and it'd sell out easily.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was talking about football. Do they do this shit at the ol' egg hand stadiums then?
Course they do. We played at Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles stadiums in 2022 (as well as the New York Red Bulls 'soccer' ground)

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
It’s almost certain to happen eventually but hopefully after I’ve gone! I heard an EFL spokesman the other day say that English football, obviously mostly Premier League, has bigger viewing numbers in the USA than it does in England! Something like 68m viewers which is much bigger than the UK. We all know La Liga have always been jealous of the EPL which was the reason behind the proposed Super League.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
But at what cost ? By taking a game overseas you are effectively warping the competition, being as somebody has to sacrifice their home advantage.
The obvious answer is to play 2 games in the US, Saudi, downtown Baghdad or wherever as long as whoever coughs up. That way, it's one home and away to maintain the integrity.

I can't see it happening anytime soon given the reaction to the Super league when it came but the summer series we played in and the like are all testing the water. The charity shield will be the first to go.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It’s almost certain to happen eventually but hopefully after I’ve gone! I heard an EFL spokesman the other day say that English football, obviously mostly Premier League, has bigger viewing numbers in the USA than it does in England! Something like 68m viewers which is much bigger than the UK. We all know La Liga have always been jealous of the EPL which was the reason behind the proposed Super League.
Sounds very unlikely given that the total population is around 345 million. That would be more than 1 in 5 watching.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The obvious answer is to play 2 games in the US, Saudi, downtown Baghdad or wherever as long as whoever coughs up. That way, it's one home and away to maintain the integrity.

I can't see it happening anytime soon given the reaction to the Super league when it came but the summer series we played in and the like are all testing the water. The charity shield will be the first to go.
That still doesn't really work though does it. Someone gets away with not going to Anfield, someone gets away with not going to the Etihad. I'm not saying it entirely dictates the result, but it DOES still slightly warp the integrity of the competition.

I agree the Community Shield could easily go to the USA, being as its a bit more than an exhibition, and is almost certainly going to be a "glamorous" tie to satisfy the US market. No big loss, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
That still doesn't really work though does it. Someone gets away with not going to Anfield, someone gets away with not going to the Etihad. I'm not saying it entirely dictates the result, but it DOES still slightly warp the integrity of the competition.

I agree the Community Shield could easily go to the USA, being as its a bit more than an exhibition, and is almost certainly going to be a "glamorous" tie to satisfy the US market. No big loss, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

You are right of course but I was putting myself in the mind of a Premier league chairman. The 39th game didn't work - someone gets Southampton and someone gets Arsenal - so what could we do to get away with it? I know! 2 games abroad. If the fans complain about integrity? Well, the fairest way is ALL games abroad innit.

As someone who has enjoyed Jags games at Wembley I do feel a bit hypocritical about the situation but that's double standards for you. I've also got to be honest, part of me would actually quite like it. Marseille, Rome and Athens were the greatest of times last year. Burnley away in Tampa sounds a lot better than Turf moor. Unless it's hurricane season. Or I end up on a flight with a shit load of Burnley fans singing that bloody awful song they sing for 8 hours.

It's where they would draw the line that is the issue and we all know that would end up a country mile in front of "piss take" Best to hold the status quo for as long as we can

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here